IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Started on Cuphead recently. It's a bit difficult.

at the risk of sounding pretentious: but i honestly felt the difficulty was kinda overhyped. to live up to it there shoulda been an achievement for S-ranking all bosses imo.

10/10 game regardless.

(meanwhile S++ on lvl 3 ikaruga is srsly breaking me, still stuck on A...)

you can still do that even if there's no achievement for it

guess every game before steam is piss easy since they have no achievements

i never said i felt cuphead was easy (far from it), i just think it isn't particularly harder than your average contra / metal slug etc. imo. add the fact that in comparison to these you can hop right back into the (boss) action without the drag of having to beat levels all over, so there's not much standing between you and (muscle) memorizing patterns (which was a great design choice).

the way i see it if the game doesn't provide an incentive it's not an inherent challenge and thus shouldn't be taken into account while judging the overall difficulty. in contra 3 e.g. you could only see the real ending when you beat it on hard. extra challenges like that were pretty common way before steam. that's not to say self-imposed stuff like "buster only" challenges and the like aren't "legit" or anything. but yeah.... if you turn the argument around to the extreme you could also claim kirby's dream land is hard because you can potentially try to play it without ever jumping or something. dunno.

It's not punishingly hard like Mega Man 9/10 or anything, but there is a certain amount of repetition and learning that you need to be willing to do to get to the next phase. I think I went through like 6 or 7 stages and was tired of having to learn all of the movements so I turned it off. Might be one of those games I play in quick spurts.

Yeah, it deffo takes a good amount of effort to beat... it's just after reading about its difficulty in practically every single review about it ever plus seemingly every other millennial posting some "rage" reaction videos on the tubes ("it liek dark souls welp lol" blah) i somehow imagined it to be... yeah, more punishing is the perfect word i guess. In fact it's more like Super Meat Boy and the like, die and just immediately start over til you win. Which, like i said, i think is fucking great. Combined with the progress meter you're shown after losing that makes for some super motivating game design, i srsly could not stop binging the mother non-stop for 2 weeks or so.

Actually the most frustrating part i remember is getting the Ps in the side-scrolling levels. Like in the forest you gotta perfectly line up some pink clouds to be able to skip the acorn maker miniboss and if you eff up you're trapped and it's starting all over...

Anywhoo: What a great game!

playing oracle of seasons for 3ds, for the first time!  its a game i never had as a kid.. but I watched a good bit of my cousin playing it over-the-shoulder-gameboy-style.

so far the graphics, sound, and gameplay are all top notch

hqdefault.jpg

Started on Cuphead recently. It's a bit difficult.

at the risk of sounding pretentious: but i honestly felt the difficulty was kinda overhyped. to live up to it there shoulda been an achievement for S-ranking all bosses imo.

10/10 game regardless.

(meanwhile S++ on lvl 3 ikaruga is srsly breaking me, still stuck on A...)

you can still do that even if there's no achievement for it

guess every game before steam is piss easy since they have no achievements

i never said i felt cuphead was easy (far from it), i just think it isn't particularly harder than your average contra / metal slug etc. imo. add the fact that in comparison to these you can hop right back into the (boss) action without the drag of having to beat levels all over, so there's not much standing between you and (muscle) memorizing patterns (which was a great design choice).

the way i see it if the game doesn't provide an incentive it's not an inherent challenge and thus shouldn't be taken into account while judging the overall difficulty. in contra 3 e.g. you could only see the real ending when you beat it on hard. extra challenges like that were pretty common way before steam. that's not to say self-imposed stuff like "buster only" challenges and the like aren't "legit" or anything. but yeah.... if you turn the argument around to the extreme you could also claim kirby's dream land is hard because you can potentially try to play it without ever jumping or something. dunno.

It's not punishingly hard like Mega Man 9/10 or anything, but there is a certain amount of repetition and learning that you need to be willing to do to get to the next phase. I think I went through like 6 or 7 stages and was tired of having to learn all of the movements so I turned it off. Might be one of those games I play in quick spurts.

Yeah, it deffo takes a good amount of effort to beat... it's just after reading about its difficulty in practically every single review about it ever plus seemingly every other millennial posting some "rage" reaction videos on the tubes ("it liek dark souls welp lol" blah) i somehow imagined it to be... yeah, more punishing is the perfect word i guess. In fact it's more like Super Meat Boy and the like, die and just immediately start over til you win. Which, like i said, i think is fucking great. Combined with the progress meter you're shown after losing that makes for some super motivating game design, i srsly could not stop binging the mother non-stop for 2 weeks or so.

Actually the most frustrating part i remember is getting the Ps in the side-scrolling levels. Like in the forest you gotta perfectly line up some pink clouds to be able to skip the acorn maker miniboss and if you eff up you're trapped and it's starting all over...

Anywhoo: What a great game!

Just play it all simple then do regular. The art is reason enough to play through it, with a friend is even better

just a heads up, giving KOF XIV a try this weekend, it's 75% off for a couple days:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/571260/THE_KING_OF_FIGHTERS_XIV_STEAM_EDITION/

Just beat the complete Dusk. Bravo, David Szymanski, bravo. If any indie game can bring back the spirit of classic shooters like Quake, no game today can do it better than this one.

Speaking of indies, I'm now torn between either Amid Evil or Lost In Vivo next. The former is a Heretic revival in full 3D, from the same publisher as Dusk. The latter is basically a first-person Silent Hill, and has only been around for about the last 5 to 6 weeks.

Edited by ambermonk

DUSK - Real cool, I feel like the original Quake gets overlooked easily as an old school FPS influence and it's easily my favourite. It really gets that mix of fast paced gameplay, fun horror themes and quirky secrets. About halfway through Act 2 I think.

Warframe - The new expansion is fun. I always get a little burned out on the repetitive gameplay but coming back to new updates reminds me how damn fun it can be.

Rimworld - 1.0 patch is pretty good, ties up a lot of weird gameplay elements and odd design decisions. There's a few annoying minor bugs but still just as fun. Most annoying thing was updating my mod list as a lot of them got passed over to new workshop entries for 1.0.

DUSK - Real cool, I feel like the original Quake gets overlooked easily as an old school FPS influence and it's easily my favourite. It really gets that mix of fast paced gameplay, fun horror themes and quirky secrets. About halfway through Act 2 I think.

Sounds like you made to the Escher Labs by now? The game gets even crazier in the third episode. You'll see.

replaying Deus Ex HR.

Still better than Mankind Divided IMO. I was just thinking about the quest where you have to confront Taggart in the second Detroit run, too. Weird.

Sounds like you made to the Escher Labs by now? The game gets even crazier in the third episode. You'll see.

yeah just hit the fucked up geometry

replaying Deus Ex HR.

Still better than Mankind Divided IMO. I was just thinking about the quest where you have to confront Taggart in the second Detroit run, too. Weird.

The point system in that game was really annoying since making yourself stealth doesn't really help you in boss fights. I honestly thought having a boss fight was kind of lame in the first place. Enjoyed the game, regardless.

Just finished Lost In Vivo. Man, what a fucked up game, lol. But I still managed to get the happy ending.

It's apparent that it draws influence from both Silent Hill and Resident Evil, but at the same time it's neither, especially since it's first-person. It's infused with a mix of Lovecraft and David Lynch horror elements as well. But in a way it all starts to make sense in that the whole thing is revealed to be some kind of simulator in cognitive therapy.

The game recommends 3D audio headphones for optimal experience, but even without them echolocation wasn't that difficult.

I played this at walmart today. i suck at street fighter but it was still cool

fye.000008152210266584_4.jpg

That is awesome!

I've never met anyone who looks like that who plays SF lol. That pic is weirding me out, man.

That mom though.  :catrecline:  cat growl

Like Joyrex said, the Switch Flip Grip is a quality accessory, and really one Nintendo should have included, or at least produced. This is the way Donkey Kong, Galaga, Pac-Man, Dig Dug, etc. were meant to be played.

IMG-2525.jpg

IMG-2523.jpg

Like Joyrex said, the Switch Flip Grip is a quality accessory, and really one Nintendo should have included, or at least produced. This is the way Donkey Kong, Galaga, Pac-Man, Dig Dug, etc. were meant to be played.

IMG-2525.jpg

IMG-2523.jpg

I'm looking into the best handheld retroarch setup and since the switch can be modded nowadays, this looks like a great setup.