IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Ok, Symphony Of the Night is pretty excellent. Not convinced yet that it lives up to the hype, and it's way easier than the Castlevania I'm used to, but it's definitely a good game and I'm glad I'm finally playing it. Glad they kept the original English voice acting for this port, apparently they "improved" it for most of them.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cloud capture said:

I'm so pumped for this. I took a 15 year break from video games but picked up a PS5 during the pandemic to avoid losing my mind living alone in a new city.

Had never played a Soulsborne game before but picked up Elden Ring after recommendations from friends and ended up absolutely loving it. I loved it so much that over the past year I went back and platinumed/100% all of them. DS1-3, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, the whole shebang. It was incredibly frustrating at times but also a sense of wonder and pride I've rarely experienced in gaming. The freedom of how to build your character, where to go, and not having your hand held was so refreshing. And some of the best bosses in history. Now I too take deep dives into the lore like Vaati's videos.

I'm hooked and can't wait to dive back into the world of Elden Ring, it's already one of my favorites ever and the DLCs tend to be top tier.

• Like 5

Elden Ring is the first FromSoft game I've beaten. Being able to level up helps a ton. In Bloodborne I couldn't even beat the first bridge boss. In Sekiro, I couldn't beat the boss on the horse fairly early on. And the dynamic of doing the whole level over again after getting killed in two hits by a boss was so annoying. I did love the stealth in Sekiro, but doing the same stealth on attempt #15 got old quickly. I still found the storytelling of Elden Ring quite poor and the boss battles uneven in difficulty. But overall it was fun. I doubt I'll dip into the DLC (already sold the game to get that sweet Gamestop credit for when Zelda comes out). Debating on whether to give the Demon's Souls remake a try as I'm not sure how many of the quality of life improvements from Elden Ring it has.

4 hours ago, onecaseman said:

Elden Ring is the first FromSoft game I've beaten. Being able to level up helps a ton. In Bloodborne I couldn't even beat the first bridge boss. In Sekiro, I couldn't beat the boss on the horse fairly early on. And the dynamic of doing the whole level over again after getting killed in two hits by a boss was so annoying. I did love the stealth in Sekiro, but doing the same stealth on attempt #15 got old quickly. I still found the storytelling of Elden Ring quite poor and the boss battles uneven in difficulty. But overall it was fun. I doubt I'll dip into the DLC (already sold the game to get that sweet Gamestop credit for when Zelda comes out). Debating on whether to give the Demon's Souls remake a try as I'm not sure how many of the quality of life improvements from Elden Ring it has.

Sekiro is definitely the hardest. Sword Saint Isshin at the end of the game took me over 6 hours of continuous attempts before I narrowly squeaked by. Awesome game but I have no desire to ever revisit it.

Elden Ring and the Demon's Souls Remake are the easiest. Demon's Souls is a much simpler game mechanically overall but they did a great job with the remake, it looks and plays great. It's by no means easy but most of the bosses are pushovers. The real challenge are the levels, as there are no bonfires/sites of grace. So if you die on a boss you have to start from all the way at the beginning of the level again. Luckily there are shortcuts but levels like 5-2 are just a pain in the ass no matter how you slice it.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 9:49 PM, TubularCorporation said:

Ok, Symphony Of the Night is pretty excellent. Not convinced yet that it lives up to the hype, and it's way easier than the Castlevania I'm used to, but it's definitely a good game and I'm glad I'm finally playing it. Glad they kept the original English voice acting for this port, apparently they "improved" it for most of them.

Not sure how far you've got and I don't want to say nuffink about nuffink ... but IMO it definitely gets better as it progresses ! (It's one of my favourite games of all time)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

Not sure how far you've got and I don't want to say nuffink about nuffink ... but IMO it definitely gets better as it progresses ! (It's one of my favourite games of all time)

Yeah, I've had it on my list of games to play for ages (I didn't want to emulate, couldn't afford an original, and then when I trashpicked an XBox 360 a few years ago I didn't know about the port) so other than the whole upside down thing I've managed to avoid spoiling much of it.

Definitely a good game, I always liked Simon's Quest more than the other early Castlevania games and it's hitting some of that same spot for me.

i see lots of good decisions being made / reported on this page and it fills me with glee.

50 cents on from-difficulty-discussion: elden ring is among their easiest titles with spirit ashes and the hardest without. and yes, it's very uneven in the latter case.

46 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

so other than the whole upside down thing I've managed to avoid spoiling much of it.

dang ... well that's the biggy ruined !

35 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

i see lots of good decisions being made / reported on this page and it fills me with glee.

50 cents on from-difficulty-discussion: elden ring is among their easiest titles with spirit ashes and the hardest without. and yes, it's very uneven in the latter case.

Very true, since it was my first one I unashamedly used mimic tear, I'm sure it would be way harder without spirit ashes.

Currently playing the remake of Akka Arrh by the ?Jeff Minter

https://www.eurogamer.net/curry-with-the-goat-jeff-minter-on-40-years-operating-on-the-far-side

The plates are cleared away and the bill comes, so I wrap up by blowing smoke up Minter's arse with a comparison I've always had in my mind between him and Aphex Twin, another eccentric enthusiast who's dedicated their lives to their own brand of out there art. "He still owes me a fiver!" says Minter, who's also a massive fan. "He was interviewed in the NME years ago, back in the 90s sometime, and was asked what his favourite video game was - and he said it was Llamatron! But I don't remember ever having seen a sales registration from a Richard D. James…"

Edited by Enthusiast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours into Atomic Heart now. Turns out this is a huge game - not just in terms of file size (72 G according to Steam), but also in the overall map layout and architectural design. No idea how much progress I've made in terms of main storyline, whether I'm in the middle, or close to the end, etc.

Pretty much have every weapon unlocked now. I've noticed that most weapons in this game can't simply be acquired, but rather you find the blueprints, and then gather enough materials to craft them. Ammo was relatively scarce in the beginning, but somehow I've managed to rack up a surplus of Makarov, shotgun, & AK ammo. Still relying heavily on melee combat though, and then the Dominator (which is like Doom's Plasma Rifle & BFG in one) for robotic crowd control. Also was finally able to fabricate the apex melee weapon - the Zvezdochka (apparently means "star" according to Google translate). The "uppercut" ability on the Zvez is borderline OP.

Made it to the Theater. Getting strong Bioshock vibes there, especially from Fort Frolic district. Probably not a coincidence.

Overall though I ended up getting way more immersed in this game than I thought I would. P-3 still needs to calm the fuck down with the edgy dialogue though. I feel like he'd be much more likeable if he showed more restraint, like Isaac in the new Dead Space. One of the ballerina bots in the Theater actually made a valid observation too: "You've been without a woman for far too long, Major."

Edited by ambermonk

On 3/1/2023 at 8:07 PM, onecaseman said:

There's no QOL changes at all with the Demon's Souls remake, it's almost exactly the same as the PS3 original. So a lot more running to a bossfight than there is in ER. I'm surprised you already sold it, the DLCs are always great with From Software. Moreso than using the same map 5 years after BOTW :whistling:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Finally arrived

5F8AE338-8513-486F-A696-29B8D6BD18E7.jpeg

got it on release day as download. its really cool but I haven't figured out how the save points work. 1-2 save points per world seems incredibly low resulting in having to replay 20-30 minutes of explorative gameplay the first time an enemy randomly kills you. 

I really wonder if this is the correct way to play it or if I just missed an obvious button in the menu. Same thing when I want to switch games and by doing so  lose my progress - next time it returns to the last save that was 20 minutes from the point I left the game for no reason. 

Edited by o00o
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 2:38 AM, cloud capture said:

just started playing Sons of the Forest.  I have a buddy that's been looking forward to it and played a ton of the original game.  So far solo-play is pretty fun and spooky.  Great survival/loot mechanics if you are a fan of that genre.  

I spent a good 40 hours building a cabin looking over the beach. Yesterday I dreamt that like 400 meters next to it there was a prebuilt one looking much nicer. Curious what today's update will bring, wish I could drive the golfcarts already. If this game is this much fun alone it has to be a blast with friends :gamer:

• Like 1

grew up addicted to the mmo format starting with ultima, everquest, swg, wow, darkfall.  This game will probably be amazing but as I've aged most mmo mechanics have become very tedious to me.  Still, pretty impressive announcement trailer:

Finally beat Atomic Heart, after 30+ hours. I think at least a third of that I spent on finding all of the Testing Grounds so I could unlock all of the weapon upgrades.

Not sure how I feel about the ending. I guess after the big denouement we can deduce that Agent P-3 is an example of a tragic hero, and that there's a legit reason for his ongoing anger issues. But there are also bigger themes at play. In a way I think the game itself is intended as a satire, not just of capitalism and communism equally, but humanity as a whole and a cautionary tale based on current trends. Other than that, I think the only spoiler I'd reveal is that there's a very deliberate nod to Bioshock. Overall though I genuinely think this ended up being a good game.

RE4 remake drops in less than two weeks. So I might jump back into the Dead Space remake in the meantime with a New Game +.

EDIT: Damn it feels good to get back into the new Dead Space. After the convoluted and tedious nature of Atomic Heart, it feels like a breath of fresh air. I dunno, gameplay just feels much more streamlined and straightforward. Plus it's always satisfying stomping the shit out of enemy corpses. Already acquired the military RIG/suit by the end of the first chapter too (on plus playthrough)

Edited by ambermonk

I tired to get into  dead cells so many times over the years but last night with the castlevania update I finally got it. You just have to play it for 1-2 hours while ignoring the repetition and once you really get into the loop it gets better and better. Kinda similar to playing Diablo