IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

1 hour ago, Squee said:

I’m not sure I understand the Epic hate? There’s Origin, GOG, HumbleBundle, Windows Store, Itch.io, Uplay... why does it matter that there’s another player in town? It’ll only give the gamers better deals. 

Maybe you should look up the numerous very negative things about Epic Game Store and the way they have sought these exclusives, and the seriously terrible privacy implications. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, oscillik said:

Maybe you should look up the numerous very negative things about Epic Game Store and the way they have sought these exclusives, and the seriously terrible privacy implications. 

I know how they got their hands on these exclusives, but that's how you get exclusives and that's how you create competition in a market. They're a new player so they need reasons for people to use their platform.
About their privacy problems... I know there have been rumours about spyware which turned out to be something in relations to their Support a Creator program and some hardware survey stuff. There was also the whole datamining Steam which turned out to be nothing as well. And yes, I know they've had issues with hackers (my account got shut down as well), but what can you expect when you've got the biggest game in the world on your hands and everyone and their mother will do whatever they can to buy that awesome dance animation.

And to be totally frank, I am genuinely interested in hearing why people don't like the EGS. I'm not trying to start a fight.

Problem is most comments I see about Epic are completely irrational. Such as this one...

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 10.36.43.png

But hey, maybe I'm missing something obvious here. To me it's the same when Microsoft announces they've bought Double Fine because I'm pretty sure I can guess which platform the next Double Fine games will be exclusive on.

I will say though.... Tencent owning 40% of Epic is pretty... scary.

2 hours ago, Squee said:

I know how they got their hands on these exclusives, but that's how you get exclusives and that's how you create competition in a market. They're a new player so they need reasons for people to use their platform.
About their privacy problems... I know there have been rumours about spyware which turned out to be something in relations to their Support a Creator program and some hardware survey stuff. There was also the whole datamining Steam which turned out to be nothing as well. And yes, I know they've had issues with hackers (my account got shut down as well), but what can you expect when you've got the biggest game in the world on your hands and everyone and their mother will do whatever they can to buy that awesome dance animation.

And to be totally frank, I am genuinely interested in hearing why people don't like the EGS. I'm not trying to start a fight.

Problem is most comments I see about Epic are completely irrational. Such as this one...

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 10.36.43.png

But hey, maybe I'm missing something obvious here. To me it's the same when Microsoft announces they've bought Double Fine because I'm pretty sure I can guess which platform the next Double Fine games will be exclusive on.

I will say though.... Tencent owning 40% of Epic is pretty... scary.

I don't understand your posts, man.

Firstly you say how you don't understand the hate, but then you write a big long post detailing the reasons why people are hating on it and also dismissing those reasons, but then say you want to genuinely know why people hate on it?

If you feel like there aren't legitimate reasons for people to be boycotting the Epic Games Store, then you're either misinformed, or you're intentionally trolling — I'm thinking you're on the latter there, since you make a comparison to a console system (Microsoft acquiring Double Fine) and one of the main sticking points that people have with Epic Games Store is that they're effectively creating console-like exclusivity on what is meant to be an open platform.

At the end of the day, it's capitalism and if people don't like it, they don't like it — and the legitimate way to show that is to boycott the store.

Geez. I'm not trolling.
Companies need exclusives to gain traction and to get people to buy their consoles or use their marketplace. Do you think Sony would sell any consoles if they didn't have exclusive titles which they get by either buying developers or making deals with developers? 

I don't think the PC market was ever intended as an "open platform". Who's ever said that? Valve has been sitting comfortably on the PC market for a bunch of years now, and then Epic announces some competition. This is what happens in any industry.

The Tencent part of it is the only thing that scares me, and if that's one of the reasons why you've decided to boycott then wonderful. You don't have to talk to me like I'm some sort of idiot.

Nah. Having had multiple (unsuccessful) third party login attempts to my Epic account during my brief Fortnite phase, I'm too wary to take the chance again. Besides, EGS is an objectively inferior platform to Steam.

I'll just wait for the next big No Man's Sky update. Last I heard Sean Murray and his team are busy getting the Beyond update ready.

35 minutes ago, Eth3realFox said:

there are ways outside of steam or epic to acquire this Outer Wilds game :whistling:

Well, that's one way of not supporting anyone.

30 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

Nah. Having had multiple (unsuccessful) third party login attempts to my Epic account during my brief Fortnite phase, I'm too wary to take the chance again. Besides, EGS is an objectively inferior platform to Steam.

I'll just wait for the next big No Man's Sky update. Last I heard Sean Murray and his team are busy getting the Beyond update ready.

Sounds fair to me.

1 hour ago, Squee said:

Well, that's one way of not supporting anyone.

given it's an indie game, i'd pay for it to support the developers of course. but if people are really that opposed to epic games, and can't wait til it appears on steam, they'll do it anyway. If they like it they might buy it on steam later on. 

Will the quote button no longer capture the entire post? Was going to quote Squee's  quoting amberbonk.. .

Anyway, will be interested in anyone here has a PSVR and can give some impressions about No Man's Sky when the Beyond update drops. Frankly, by the time I have the time to even play this we will all probably have chips in our brains making the need for external VR-gear obsolete - but I'm still curious how well it functions.

Actually, curious what people's thoughts about PSVR are in general (used be deep into VR and have always been a little suspect of PSVR actually communicating a legit VR experience)

Risk of Rain 2. Enjoying it, but I suspect co-op is where the real fun is. Anyone want to shoot stuff with me? My steam nick is dollopuss.

17 hours ago, Squee said:

I’m not sure I understand the Epic hate? There’s Origin, GOG, HumbleBundle, Windows Store, Itch.io, Uplay... why does it matter that there’s another player in town? It’ll only give the gamers better deals. 

guess im a super casual (mostly indies and catching up on my older library purchases) but I managed to never have a need to install any of those other stores like uplay or origin. and humble connects with steam fine.  outer worlds is actually the first game ive come across that im remotely interested in that isnt on steam.

Edited by markedone

just to add, i recognize that some competition would be better for devs, putting pressure on steam to lower their cut etc.  that i support.  but from the (again, casual) perspective, fracturing / exclusives are a mild pain in the ass

35 minutes ago, markedone said:

guess im a super casual (mostly indies and catching up on my older library purchases) but I managed to never have a need to install any of those other stores like uplay or origin. and humble connects with steam fine.  outer worlds is actually the first game ive come across that im remotely interested in that isnt on steam.

The Outer Worlds is intriguing to me mainly because it's by the same devs of Fallout: New Vegas. But I'm willing to wait a year for its exclusivity leash to be cut if that's what it takes.

48 minutes ago, paranerd said:

Risk of Rain 2. Enjoying it, but I suspect co-op is where the real fun is. Anyone want to shoot stuff with me? My steam nick is dollopuss.

Mine is Scope_Dog. Haven't played RoR 2 in a couple of months, but it's pretty fun.

6 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Will the quote button no longer capture the entire post? Was going to quote Squee's  quoting amberbonk.. .

this is quite bothersome.

Been playing Chrono Trigger (DS, first time) and it's bringing me immense joy that only increases as the game progresses (I think I'm like 2/3 in). One of those, How did I avoid this game my whole life so far moments.

8 hours ago, ambergonk said:

The Outer Worlds is intriguing to me mainly because it's by the same devs of Fallout: New Vegas. But I'm willing to wait a year for its exclusivity leash to be cut if that's what it takes.

Outer Worlds and Outer Wilds... it's already super confusing ;)

3 hours ago, Claudius t Ansuulim said:

Whoah, that looks amazing!  I like the aspect of battle Tetris at the moment but I might check that out if it gets a decent price drop

Watch some speedruns of the game, and the different game modes makes it highly replayable (even more so than Tetris naturally is)

14th!

It'll be tricky choosing which game to commit to in the next couple of weeks tho. The 11th will be the 20th anniversary of System Shock 2, and the 15th will be when Ion Maiden Fury is finally complete and out of early access. And I recently restarted Mutant Year Zero and figured out how to play it correctly and am getting quite into it ATM.

Edited by ambergonk
Gamer nerd FWP