Star Trek, the undiscovered country. Quite good, better than the last two certainly. A good ending to the entire old generation thing, though it still has some weird non consistencies but nothing too serious.

Gene Roddenberry died during the making of this film. I'm not sure how much input he had in the way it was going but apparently the movie was intended to be sort of a parallel to the berlin wall falling. The original script made the Enterprise crew seem a lot less racist/xenophobic than they do the way it was shot. For example the part where Kirk says 'Let them die!' to Spock had Kirk making an embarrassed/saddened expression realizing what he had just said, but it was cut shorter to make Kirk seem even less empathetic than it was originally written.

From what i remember reading in the original plot it was actually the Federation and not the Kilingons at all that end up hatching the conspiracy. We are misdirected by the bald Klingon in the original version of the film thinking he is a bad guy but actually ends up working with Kirk at the end to fight the evil conspirators in the federation

I'm probably one of the only people i know who really likes Generations, I think it's a worthy bridge movie to bring both star trek universes together. In some ways it's more similar to an episode of the series than any of the movies are. Probably in part why it was so widely hated. The action was minimal and instead it aimed for a more emotional/scifi driven plot.

Plus it's the longest stretch of time we get to see Data turn on his emotion chip, something they never let us see the way we do in the movie.

The other TNG movies take a sharp turn into later period Deep Space 9 action driven plots. I still enjoy watching them but they definitely feel totally different tonally to the actual series.

First Contact probably being the best, Insurrection is passable (but also ludicrously plotted) and Nemesis is absolutely awful. Nemesis is very much trying to ride the coat tails of Wrath of Khan but fails in just about every way. Red Letter Media's 1 hour long review of it is better than the movie itself.

Generations should have been good but the ending/climax was very badly put together especially the final Kirk scene which should have been epic was just meh.

Currently working my way through the Original remastered series, kinda not sure if I like the charm of the shitty late 60's SFX better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ftCitvyQ

Edited by soundwave

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

i think michael shannon is overrated, there I said it. He knows how to look intense and flip his shit occasionally, but I'm not convinced...

I just don't know anymore. maybe it was the beard and the hair. he looked silly.

i think michael shannon is overrated, there I said it. He knows how to look intense and flip his shit occasionally, but I'm not convinced...

I just don't know anymore. maybe it was the beard and the hair. he looked silly.

When people talk about Michael Shannon, nobody mentions his role as Agent Van Alden on Boardwalk Empire. This is a great role, he knocks it out of the park. Much better than Take Shelter.

Star trek: Generations.

So stupid it made me angry. It's mildly entertaining, visually meh and completely stupid in it's last stage, when they settle things. Goddamnit.

To make Kirk die such a stupid death is a Star trek heritage sin. I hate the person/s that allowed that to happen

I sure am glad they made Pa Kent have superpowers against tornadoes in Superman 7.

I just watched RLM Half in the bag review and it was a bit of fun how they hated everything about it.

World War Z - 5/10 pretty much free of any plot, or acting, Brad's wrinkles did a great performance. You could smell Lindelof all over the last 40 min.

Man of Steel - 7/10 maybe not quite as great as I hoped, I still think Watchmen is better. Snyder spent most of the movie avoiding all of the tired Superman tropes, then squeezed them all in the last 5 minutes. Seriously, was there a point to the character Jenny Olsen except to stand in the path of falling buildings and look dumbfounded?

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

Monsters University

f u n. Easily as fun as the first and looks much better. I really liked the short before it too.

End of Watch -- what is this i don't even/10

apparently when i was in 5th grade i could have been a film writer.

good time to repost zaphod's finest hour

end of watch - we're shooting our way out of here, bro. you with me dude? fist bump. how's my chest hair look? this is what it's all about! yeah, dude. los angeles PD! lemme tell you about latin girls, bro. this shit's like a videogame man. shit is about to go off! oh shit, you hurt bro? is it bad? let me see. take off your pants bro. i know you weren't hit in the dick, but i need to see your dick dude. let me see your junk, i need to make sure it's ok. breh. brah. bro. blech

I'm watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D right now. It's not very good. It's actually quite terrrible.

Leatherface looks like a fucking idiot - and not in a spooky kinda way... holy shit, Leatherface is running around with his chainsaw at a carnival right now.

EDIT: I think this one might be worse than the NIghtmare on Elmstreet remake from 2010

Place beyond the Pines. Although this film did have some flaws, it liked it a lot in the end. I became very attached the all the characters and it was fascinating how the story plays out in the end especially since it doesnt feel like there's one over arching theme and main character. On paper, it sounds like a horrible movie but personally i loved the pacing and all the moral dilemmas that are presented. Starting to get kind of tired of Ryan Gosling's acting style tho...

Guest isaki

the garden of words - very enjoyable and looks absolutely beautiful. I found out after that it's just a short, so I was disappointed at the short length - I could've watched that art for hours... if you decide to watch this, get it in the best quality you can

Guest RadarJammer

Upside Down very beautiful but kinda sleazy romance scifi, very cheezy but definitely not cheap looking. i happily groaned through it and was happy to finally have a scifi worth recommending to my mom. 6/10