finally got around to watching Prometheus...so far so good...

but Holloway is such an annoying shit...i really hope he dies.....and i cant help but feel bad for David.

should have clarified, only half an hour in.....there seems to be a lot of convenient plot twists...howd they find that structure that quickly? Part of the reason I loved the original Alien (until the fucking cat) was the very slow build up and exploration.

Edited by Smettingham Rutherford IV

Angels & Demons: I really like the movie, despite it being totally incoherent with real scientific facts and shit and blah... One of my personal favorites, totally superior to The DaVinci Code 9/10

lol

wut

Angels & Demons: I really like the movie, despite it being totally incoherent with real scientific facts and shit and blah... One of my personal favorites, totally superior to The DaVinci Code 9/10

lol

wut

Didn't you get the memo? we hate the davinci code series.

Yup. But Quentin Tarantino "presented" it, whatever the fuck that means.

means the distributors required his name to be in the credits to ensure morons go watch the film so they can get a return on the investors money. in 10 years time, they'll just start writing "hey, quentin taratino's friends made this film and he said you should watch it lol"

Yup. But Quentin Tarantino "presented" it, whatever the fuck that means.

means the distributors required his name to be in the credits to ensure morons go watch the film so they can get a return on the investors money. in 10 years time, they'll just start writing "hey, quentin taratino's friends made this film and he said you should watch it lol"

in its defense, a lot of asian films during the new wave cinema phase of the late 90s/early 00s wouldn't have been brought to larger theaters over in the West if not for Tarantino plugging his name on them. i don't think watching a movie that is supported in some way by a huge film buff makes one a moron.

in its defense, a lot of asian films during the new wave cinema phase of the late 90s/early 00s wouldn't have been brought to larger theaters over in the West if not for Tarantino plugging his name on them. i don't think watching a movie that is supported in some way by a huge film buff makes one a moron.

if you lack curiosity about fellow humans just because "they speak another language" and you need some hack director to give you permission to expand your horizons then you are indeed a moron. i can appreciate that some people may not have an interest in film and usually prefer to hear from someone they consider "an expert" to make decisions for them- but this film's target audience (even by industry standards) is for males under the age of 30 so these kids aren't acting on such a conscious level. it's one of those visual stimulants where they see "QT's name on the marquee" and they can already anticipate promised violence.

Horror / Ghost / Found Footage movies I've seen lately:

The Pact - Kinda new ghost movie thing. One of those "was alright I guess"-movies. But nothing special. Acting could have been better but didn't suck either.

La Casa Muda (The Silent House) - Argentinian horror-movie that is (seemingly) filmed all in one shot. Cool concept, and the beginning is pretty creepy. Unfortunately it gets rather cheesy later on and the ending is extraordinarily stupid. It did have some potential and my friend (who only saw the beginning of the film) was so frightened by it, he had to turn it off, so I guess there's an audience for it.

V/H/S - Didn't like it so much at first because I expected psychological horror, which it isn't, but once I got over that, it was actually quite good. The concept of having different directors producing different stories for one movie isn't new, but it fits the found footage genre perfectly well. So in the end, I really enjoyed it (except for the story that's set in the woods, that one sucked pretty bad), it's a fun Halloween movie not to be taken too seriously. "Second Honeymoon" and "31-10-98" were my favorite fragments.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes - well, the first 20 minutes or so of it ... It was like the idiot version of Lake Mungo. Poor acting, poor everything, turned it off, piece of wank.

Diary of the Dead - Even worse than the Poughkeepsie Tapes. Every line made me want to feed the script to the writers. And why'd they put a steadycam on the camera if it's supposed to be a found footage movie, and most importantly, why on earth would there be a dramatic film score on a found footage movie?! Yeah I know they explained it ("I put music under this footage I found in order to scare you so you understand the truth") but that's pretty bullshitty. I turned it off too. So lame what Romero puts his name under these days.

The Last Exorcism - A camera crew is shooting a "documentary" about a priest who wants to expose exorcisms as fake, so he lets them film him and show how he stages everything with sound effects and stuff, but then it seems like there's actual demonic shit going on ... I liked that one. Good actors. (again, I didn't like the ending, but that's just me) - could have gone on much longer, very enjoyable.

if you lack curiosity about fellow humans just because "they speak another language" and you need some hack director to give you permission to expand your horizons then you are indeed a moron. i can appreciate that some people may not have an interest in film and usually prefer to hear from someone they consider "an expert" to make decisions for them- but this film's target audience (even by industry standards) is for males under the age of 30 so these kids aren't acting on such a conscious level. it's one of those visual stimulants where they see "QT's name on the marquee" and they can already anticipate promised violence.

wow. ignorant as shit man.

anyway, finished Prometheus...ill give it a 6/10......one word to describe it would be pacing....in that it didn't have any. felt rushed....but the landscapes were amazing....and the auto-doc scene was excellent.

edit: and why didn't they get an old guy to play an old guy?

Edited by Smettingham Rutherford IV

Frankenstein (1931)

I've seen this a bunch of times. The first time, my guess is I was 8 years old.

Anyway, just got the Blu ray.

This movie is flawless. Incredible performances all around, except for the main girl. Was her name Elizabeth?

Colin Clive and Boris Karloff are so fucking good. Particularly Karloff. He's as close as you can get to a walking nightmare.

Anyway, as far as realism in horror films go, I have to say this one and the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre take the prize.

It earned all of its ubiquity, no doubt. It's good to go back to remind yourself of what makes a classic a classic and to see a 70 minute film with no bullshit or fat to trim, whatsoever.

10/10

Edited by jefferoo

i'm waiting on a sequel to this post about corporatons being bad and then a prequel on enviroment written by someone else.

Frankenstein (1931)

This movie is flawless. Incredible performances all around, except for the main girl. Was her name Elizabeth?

Colin Clive and Boris Karloff are so fucking good. Particularly Karloff. He's as close as you can get to a walking nightmare.

Anyway, as far as realism in horror films go, I have to say this one and the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre take the prize.

It earned all of its ubiquity, no doubt. It's good to go back to remind yourself of what makes a classic a classic and to see a 70 minute film with no bullshit or fat to trim, whatsoever.

10/10

the old classic universal monster movies have been extremely neglected by me, I was going to check out Creature from the Black lagoon to break me in, but you think Frankenstein is a good start? I guess i've seen Invisible Man, but for some reason that doesnt count? I dont know :mellow:

Frankenstein (1931)

10/10

the old classic universal monster movies have been extremely neglected by me, I was going to check out Creature from the Black lagoon to break me in, but you think Frankenstein is a good start? I guess i've seen Invisible Man, but for some reason that doesnt count? I dont know :mellow:

Frankenstein is the best one, followed closely by the original Dracula.

The Mummy is good too.

I need to rewatch TCFTBL. Its been a while.

I actually won the universal classic monsters Blu-ray boxed set last week in a Facebook giveaway.

I'm super stoked about it. That shit is like $140!!!

Guest Ron Manager

Green Zone - 2/10. Awful. Was on TV, but I only managed an hour. It sounded far better from the programme guide description than it really was. And I thought with Brendan Gleason and Matt Damon it couldn't be that bad. How wrong I was...

220px-SocietyPoster.jpg

Amazing!....I encourage everyone to see this, at least just for the last 20minutes - the majority of the movie plays like a bad episode of Saved by the Bell or some other mellowdramatic 80's influenced teen show. However, stick with it, as its all ironic mockery and builds to a shocking and satisfactorily mind-blowing conclusion

Oh shit! I think I remember seeing a bit from this film in a film mag years back about the grossest movie scenes. It got to number 1 and Robocop's toxic waste guy was number 2. I've been trying to remember what film that was for ages, now I know! Brill!

Oh shit! I think I remember seeing a bit from this film in a film mag years back about the grossest movie scenes. It got to number 1 and Robocop's toxic waste guy was number 2. I've been trying to remember what film that was for ages, now I know! Brill!

mmmmmmm

and i implore you all to not spoil it for yourselves by youtubing the scenes now - but watch and wait...it'll be all the sweeter

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

Jeff, who lives at home

Starting out I thought it was going to be a rather shallow comedy about a dufus stoner but it actually turned pretty deep and made me reflect on my own life, which is all you can ask from a film really. no real expectations for it so was actually a pleasant surprise.

Horror / Ghost / Found Footage movies I've seen lately:

Solid post, Poughkeepsie Tapes is one I am yet to watch but I will approach with caution after this as the other reviews were spot on.

Guest RadarJammer

mmmmmmm

and i implore you all to not spoil it for yourselves by youtubing the scenes now - but watch and wait...it'll be all the sweeter

Just watched. I'm glad I stuck with it, pretty boring movie but the ending was well worth it.