the rover - this was just too bare bones for me. it's kinda like coming up with a good thread idea and just starting it with the post that simply reads "discuss". i mean you can't leave it all to the imagination and contemplation of the viewer, you have to provide some content by yourself as a director. watching guy pearce being super intense for no clear reasons for the majority of the movie, while well acted, is just frustrating, and then the final punchline isn't too fulfilling either and tbh kinda lame as a narrative device. it's really good aesthetically though, a couple of tortoise tracks seemed nice (though maybe a little too chill thematically to fit in with the tone of the film, but well desert-y). 5/10 i guess.

Godzilla (2014) - worth a watch, keeps moving, doesn't get too annoying. They even didn't finish with the trope that i thought that they would when they started it, was pleased when that was derailed.

When they started to set up the general's plan with the missile versus using godzilla to fix the thing, i was like oh god, i don't want a fighting against the man trope that locks down the entire last act. And then they ditched it, yay. It was just there to propel plot forward a little and then disapeared. nwae, nice take on the whole thing, i don't know anything about the japanese godzilla mythos, so don't know how much of this one took from that with respect to the force of nature that brings about balance and whatever but i thought it was a nice way to do it.

Musical Minds

8/10

A documentary about two guys who are autistic and host a local TV music review show called Hot Tracks. Vice have just written an article about them http://www.vice.com/read/monica-heisey-musical-minds-123/

Think Wayne's World mixed with Napoleon Dynamite. The show is hilarious, and the documentary really interesting. It's free to watch here:

Documentary -

Hot Tracks youtube clips - https://www.youtube.com/user/Aceinyourface

Godzilla

Visuals are beautiful, solid blockbuster but the writers haven't got a clue what subtlety is, plot turned downright brain damaged at times and the acting was just okay, even from Bryan Cranston

Cobra

Whoa! How is this so poorly received? It's great! I mean, it's terrible, but terribly great! It's really grindhouse for such a mainstream man as Stallone. Great brooding cinematography and editing - sweeeeet tense sound track. A bit too much cheese here and there, but it has it's place in relieving the tension from scene to scene....which can get quite intense!

Cobra_movie_poster.jpg

^^ my favorite scene in that film is when he's driving and some guy behind him is shooting at him, so he turns the car around so he can shoot that sucker then swings back to going forwards and drives on

DVD%20cover.jpg

this is a jewish documentary where the filmmakers have managed to track down the grandchildren (or great grandchildren or grandnieces) of famous nazi officials such as hermann goering, heinrich himmler, rudolf hoess, amon goeth and ludwig beck. after that, they flesh out the guilt out of them although it seems a little too futile after a while; as one guy puts it "the only way we as jews can put this behind us is by accepting these people"

S6THY6N.jpg

in 1976, a film crew working for abc news follows the south bronx 44th precinct beat cops on what was (then) the borough with the highest crime rate. today, this would seem like just another episode of cops albeit the cops are much more introspective, philosophical and actually helping people- in fact, the police chief likens the situation similar to a clockwork orange where he summizes that "america only attacks the problems it sees" by "ignoring the poor more than they ever have been.... we're manufacturing criminals"

the sad part is that almost every problem addressed in this documentary is still happening today. nothing has changed 38 years later.

p.s. according to the back, this documentary influenced a whole slew of cop dramas of the 70s like hill street blues, fort apache, the bronx, cops the tv show, scorsese's mean streets and the warriors (matter of fact, there's a gang war in this). the summer after this documentary aired (in 77), hiphop music was born

Edited by Nebraska

002f0d28_medium.jpeg

bbc's horizon: inside the dark web- a documentary about tor, cryptography, and the silk road. skims all these subjects in under 1hr whilst attempting to urge viewers to educate themselves on cryptography and anonymity. #realtalk

chef - it's got a nice and pleasant friendly vibe going throughout but it's just so plain and tensionless most of the time, it's like the movie constantly tells you "don't worry, it's all gonna be alright" and it delivers just that - constantly uplifting "alrightness". it's kinda disingenuous in a way too, the dialogues and people feel very real but there's absolutely no danger or violence in the world of the movie.

chef - it's got a nice and pleasant friendly vibe going throughout but it's just so plain and tensionless most of the time, it's like the movie constantly tells you "don't worry, it's all gonna be alright" and it delivers just that - constantly uplifting "alrightness". it's kinda disingenuous in a way too, the dialogues and people feel very real but there's absolutely no danger or violence in the world of the movie.

Right! Thats exactly how I feel about Obvious Child and Begin Again - do you think like I do that it's a sign of the times?

excellent sort of film for a brutal comedown by the sound of things.

maleficent - there are some very meaningful, dark and even subversive underlying themes covered by this tired shell of "disney film for family entertainment" with all its overwrought cgi and shallow supporting characters and dull jokes, quite pleasantly surprising really.

F2BbkBz.jpg

this film is like david fincher's zodiac in that, you know the ending, but it's still really brilliant how it manages to make it seem like you're watching an entirely new story.

for me, this is the most impressive film (documentary or fiction) about the manson family killings i've ever seen. it's even better than all the documentaries i've seen concerning the case/incident etc. towards the end, it goes into peter watkins very similitude alternate dimension of reality. amazing stuff