borgman - yeah no, i'm not really interested in solving its puzzles for director's amusement and i can't really think of anything profound to take from it myself. it's quite interesting and unpredictable for a while and its peppered with that north european humor that i like a lot, but then its unpredictability becomes predictable and tiring, and it really gives you nothing meaningful to hold on to. so in the end it just feels frustrating and pointless.

foxcatcher - the steve carrel transformation is really quite spectacular, had to pause the film and check imdb to see if it's really him despite seeing it beforehand. it's an interesting psychological drama with a well rounded narrative if a bit one note, most of the time it felt kinda like cringe comedy without the comedy but with a heavy blanket of chilly, unrelenting darkness and directional self importance instead. also, chung tatum (or whatever his name) character felt frustratingly underdeveloped compared to carrel.

last resort - checked this because i liked this director's recent "ida". it's a typical gritty british social drama about a particular issue affectionately made and well acted, given that reasonably well made gritty social dramas make about 90% of british movie output you've probably seen something like that before so you can skip it unless you're particularly interested in refugees' third world problems in uk.

Tarkovsky, Kurosawa, Fellini, Bergman, Lynch, Scorsese, Welles, Polanski, Meville, Herzog, Loach, Hitchcock, Coppola, LVT, Lang, R Scott, D Lean = real cinema.

oh piss off

coming from someone who loves every single one of those directors, just please piss off with the whole "real cinema" bullshit. there is no elite group of "real filmmakers" - there are thousands of amazing films and filmmakers, and everyone has their own opinions.

Its not a case of high/low culture or elitism, its about plain fuckin quality, so piss off yerself mate.

There's "art" and there's There Will Be Blood......and as an open forum i'll express whatever opinion on a movie i choose to.

If you want to be a prissy cock, crack on.

this is how you come across:

oh my god that's ridiculous!! how the fuck can that be one one of your favourite films??!! THIS IS THE REAL SHIT YOU STUPID FUCKING CUNT!!! hahaha you're such a pleb

I love Bladerunner but it's a bit cheesy/trashy and the soundtrack is quite silly,it has saxophones and synths.. I love that shit but it's not perfect and a completely respectable person could end up not enjoying it. fair nuff innit. also you didn't even know that was a fake list of directors and to me it just looks like you believe quality is what you're told is quality?

Edited by tauboo

it is very very cute how territorial, pretentious and 'this is quality' posturing various watmm members do about film but eat up very heavily promoted music that is payola driven with very little regard for seeking out actual quality. It reminds me of how annoying and fascist I get about music, but for a music forum and not a film forum my behavior seems more appropriate.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Tarkovsky, Kurosawa, Fellini, Bergman, Lynch, Scorsese, Welles, Polanski, Meville, Herzog, Loach, Hitchcock, Coppola, LVT, Lang, R Scott, D Lean = real cinema.

oh piss off

coming from someone who loves every single one of those directors, just please piss off with the whole "real cinema" bullshit. there is no elite group of "real filmmakers" - there are thousands of amazing films and filmmakers, and everyone has their own opinions.

Its not a case of high/low culture or elitism, its about plain fuckin quality, so piss off yerself mate.

There's "art" and there's There Will Be Blood......and as an open forum i'll express whatever opinion on a movie i choose to.

If you want to be a prissy cock, crack on.

this is how you come across:

oh my god that's ridiculous!! how the fuck can that be one one of your favourite films??!! THIS IS THE REAL SHIT YOU STUPID FUCKING CUNT!!! hahaha you're such a pleb

I love Bladerunner but it's a bit cheesy/trashy and the soundtrack is quite silly,it has saxophones and synths.. I love that shit but it's not perfect and a completely respectable person could end up not enjoying it. fair nuff innit. also you didn't even know that was a fake list of directors and to me it just looks like you believe quality is what you're told is quality?

point 1 - i didnt indicate "stupid" or "cunt anywhere",,,,, and reiterated that it wasnt based on high/low culture "assumptions". I come from pretty humble stock and thought that film fell into the category of art, as-well as entertainment.

point 2 - Why should i indulge a bs-list in any way, shape or form? Ignoring bs isnt ignorance, its just a waste of time, so i outlined some "proper films" instead, get over it.

point 3 - I dont take spoon-fed nonsense as part of what makes my own "playlists" for anything. Sorry to disappoint you there chap. I'm half way through a PhD in music, so i prefer to digest something personally before passing comment. That includes hunting for "good films". "Oooooh look at you and your blutty highfalutin talk blah blah......." *(see point 4)

point 3 - If someone's rude to me with "piss off this/piss off that" i'll call them out on it and not just on a semi-pointless internet forum. In real life i'm far less polite.

*point 4 - Your general tone comes across like that of a child, so excuse me if i dont indulge you any further.

I'm very hurt.

but since you asked, the phrase "lulz archivism" refers to the practice of mentally archiving forum lols for later recall/enjoyment, and possibly further development when the opportunities present themselves. it's an arcane and esoteric voodoo that I would not expect a barrel-chested man of action such as yourself to pay any mind to, but rest assured you are contributing to it, and for that I salute you.

:catsalute:

you've been a salty capricious prick from the moment i registered on here,

but you crack on Mr Usagi of the lulz archives, what diamond superlatives i could think of to describe that past-time would clearly be beneath you

I would not expect a barrel-chested man of action such as yourself to pay any mind to

#swingingdick

top-3.......ready,,,,,,,,,think you can handle it?

in reverse order to build up the tension,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

and these could change next week and again later in time to add some ambiguity,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

3) The Good, the Bad & the Ugly/Aguirre The Wrath Of God............can't split them for very different reasons. Eli Wallach, Angel Eyes & Blondie and all the other cast of horribles vs Klaus Kinski losing it in a lost n found continent. Epic stories of quests and safe as fuck.

2) the last 12mins of Juliet Of The Spirits/the opening section of The Woman Of The Snow from K(w)aiden......JOTS cos it hallucinatory genius in what was Fellini's 1st colour film.....WOTS cos of the fuckin eyes the eyes maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

1) no question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BLUE VELVET..........................for Dennis Hopper/Frank Booth. Its so fuckin suave, Jack Nance doing more in a few mins than can be believed, the opening scene w/the white fence and the guy collapsing and the dog licking up that sketchy hose piss angle, right the way through it's relentless.

and yes some of those are emphatic statements

What is... Why is he still here? Joyrex are you getting this?

edit: oops, seems like I judged too quickly... apparently he's halfway to phd, l guess leave him be, then.

Edited by kokoon