I went to watch Upstream Color in a cinema just off Leicester Square, some bloke loudly scoffed popcorn in the back row for the first 15 minutes and then walked out when he'd finished eating, legend.

T5Nr7Ir.jpg

this was brilliant. obviously peter strickland has either been watching a lot of jean rollin or radley metzger films because he pinched the erotic parts of those- but he's still running a very textbook production so things feel like they should be there because they were in the shot list rather than naturally being there because they compliment the story.

this is better than berberian sound studio. my stamp of approval

Edited by Nebraska

T5Nr7Ir.jpg

this was brilliant. obviously peter strickland has either been watching a lot of jean rollin or radley metzger films because he pinched the erotic parts of those- but he's still running a very textbook production so things feel like they should be there because they were in the shot list rather than naturally being there because they compliment the story.

this is better than berberian sound studio. my stamp of approval

Word, as the yoof say...made BSS look pretty vacant and pedestrian (Strickland is no Argento), plus with an actress like Sidse Babett Knudsen it manages to combine some pretty outrageous eroticism AND something cerebral and that is a rare trait in itself

ps: The Sonic Catering Band is part of Strickland's audio project work and def worth hunting down too

So I bought and watched this movie last night with some friends

Holy moly. It was pretty much what I had hoped for.

As an experience: 10/10

As a movie: -10/10

So I bought and watched this movie last night with some friends

Holy moly. It was pretty much what I had hoped for.

As an experience: 10/10

As a movie: -10/10

You're too next level for me, i'd have to take up smoking pot to enjoy something like that.

9nTF93Y.jpg

not a bad documentary but got kinda boring. basically, the first 30 or so minutes is a rehash of what the silk road was, then it spends an hour or so with many ross ulbricht fanboys (like the editor of wired and some other guys) basically telling you how great of an idea that was and how unfortunate it is ross was busted. then the end is the trial and "aww shucks- online drug markets should be the future" arguments.

alex winter isn't interested in having a conversation about what silk road meant unless you agree with him.

Chappie was fucking weird. Had all of the neat design stuff & action that makes Blomkamp films great but it needed about 100% less Die Antwoord, and Huge Act-Man needed to town down his exposition-of-what-he's-very-visibly-doing-that-moment.

"I'm gonna destroy the entire city to fund my project because I'm a bad guy that works at the least-secure weapons research facility on the planet."

["Fire Missiles? Y/N" pops up on screen]

"Fire missles? Yes. I'm gonna fire the missiles now by pressing Y."

[presses the button to fire missles]

Chappie was fucking weird. Had all of the neat design stuff & action that makes Blomkamp films great but it needed about 100% less Die Antwoord, and Huge Act-Man needed to town down his exposition-of-what-he's-very-visibly-doing-that-moment.

true they weren't great actors, but by the same token it didn't take me out of the moment so i didn't find having them there a failure and really, are many in hollywoodzone that good at acting either. I did however find the overall tone of the film a little bleak, there was no light, or moment where you could just recuperate from the ongoing dire tone of it all. The cinematography also seemed a little 'low rent' (in a transvaal accent) but not totally distracting. Hence, it was 'ok'. That being said, it'll probably end up being one of the better films that i've watched this year. (not into film really, most things suck, perhaps because i've seen the tropes before, or the good people just can't get through the hollywood machine's nepotism and the failure of a bureaucratic corporate system to create art).

the least-secure weapons research facility on the planet."

i rationalized this by the fact that they were based in south africa and not an huge corporation, and all of a sudden all the law and order systems were suddenly offline.

i'm religious to a fault mate."

the religion thing was a bit silly and felt a forced, and tacked on and jackman played his part like i guess he would have when it wasn't a very developed character that didn't get much screen time. I just overlooked that for the sake of forward momentum.

ex machina - meh, ok i guess. Perhaps it made people feel like they were contemplating big ideas because it was packaged in an austere nothing much going on architect designed subterranean box, which you know really makes things so much more serious and important, but really it covers similar territory to chappie but comes at it in a different way. I don't think that it was better or worse, just different.

I wouldn't say Chappie was a terrible film, because I definitely was entertained the whole time and interested to see what happened. It just had some serious script/plot flaws & was just nowhere near the excellence of District 9 & Elysium (even with those films ham-fisted political allegories, they were still top-notch action films with amazingly realized worlds). Also, we need to stop pretending Die Antwoord have anything that even remotely resembles talent in any capacity now that the novelty of their shtick has worn off.

Edited by autopilot

i was supposed to hate because i hated both district 9 and elysium but i actually kinda liked it, precisely because it had less hamfisted politics and was more fun and over the top in an endearing way.

Ex Machina - Was it me or was this movie just a tad too predictable? Too much obvious plot device lines, too little depth. Some good ideas about AI though, but could've been dived into a bit more. Musically (a bit), storywise (a bit) but mostly visually really akin to Beyond the Black Rainbow, which had a far greater impact on me in every way. Still a great watch, stunning visuals and a top soundtrack but I think I was expecting too much from it. 7/10