Ex Machina spoilers ahead.

ex machina - this movie is IDM, IDM from WATMM's YLC forum from a decade ago. it's precious, labored over, well produced, thinks of itself as poignant and inspired and follows a very beaten and predictable path from the get go and overall pretty corny. interesting ideas are thrown around all the time in a stunted dialogue, but are not explored. the questions and thoughts it alleges to provoke are all too familiar. everything is too tight and scripted, no room to breathe, no dramatization, no charachterization and no wonder, just a tightly controlled tensionmaking that blows out in a completely predictable way. this really isn't moviemaking but an aesthetically decent production. 2.5 YLC thread stars.

Edited by Squee

rewatched Ken Russell's The Devils (1971), due to sweet restored version finally arriving in the post. Has to be my favourite British film. Its intensity and scale is unadulterated genius. You have this myriad of elements that unfold in a deliciously wicked crimson tide; the slow dissolving madness of V Redgrave's suppressed desires, the French court's complete moral corruption & Oliver Reed completely OWNING T'INGS. Derek Jarman did all the sets + the cast is packed with familiar character actor faces from that whole era.

If you've been forced to watch as many low resolution flicks on a laptop alongside damp watery excavation trenches as i have, these restored prints on a decent home-screen (granted not like watching Blade Runner in t'cinema) are heaven-sent.

Infinity/10

I love The Devils, my favorite actress is Georgina Hale (so I LOVE Mahler....) Wish more would be restored for Blu-ray.

I bought Ken Russell at the BBC DVD box set and some of his TV films are amazing and even better than many of his feature films.

spoilers ahead.

Ex Machina

ex machina - this movie is IDM, IDM from WATMM's YLC forum from a decade ago. it's precious, labored over, well produced, thinks of itself as poignant and inspired and follows a very beaten and predictable path from the get go and overall pretty corny. interesting ideas are thrown around all the time in a stunted dialogue, but are not explored. the questions and thoughts it alleges to provoke are all too familiar. everything is too tight and scripted, no room to breathe, no dramatization, no charachterization and no wonder, just a tightly controlled tensionmaking that blows out in a completely predictable way. this really isn't moviemaking but an aesthetically decent production. 2.5 YLC thread stars.

Wow you got skillz to make digs at music makers in a film review

I kind of see your point about the film with the bit in bold though - wonder is definately important in films and i think it's been lost a bit in a lot of films at the moment. I did still love the film though, but i enjoy all kinds of crap

rewatched Ken Russell's The Devils (1971), due to sweet restored version finally arriving in the post. Has to be my favourite British film. Its intensity and scale is unadulterated genius. You have this myriad of elements that unfold in a deliciously wicked crimson tide; the slow dissolving madness of V Redgrave's suppressed desires, the French court's complete moral corruption & Oliver Reed completely OWNING T'INGS. Derek Jarman did all the sets + the cast is packed with familiar character actor faces from that whole era.

If you've been forced to watch as many low resolution flicks on a laptop alongside damp watery excavation trenches as i have, these restored prints on a decent home-screen (granted not like watching Blade Runner in t'cinema) are heaven-sent.

Infinity/10

I love The Devils, my favorite actress is Georgina Hale (so I LOVE Mahler....) Wish more would be restored for Blu-ray.

I bought Ken Russell at the BBC DVD box set and some of his TV films are amazing and even better than many of his feature films.

I watched the documentary on Vaughn-Williams that got aired around the time of KR's death......again, incredible film-making

Had no idea there was collection out there so *special-hand-gesture-pose & *mad-props-yo for the info......bought/ordered this very afternoon so le weekend's down time is now sorted.......muchos appreciados!

chappie - apart from the first 20 minutes of district 9 this is the best thing he did. in this one he pumps up the cheese and fun to 11 and turns down the banal "social critique" of his previous films much lower. he nails down the visual side of things as usual, no one does this grit+hi tech thing better from what i can remember. the script is stupid of course but at least fun stuff is going on most of the duration, still it's a shame that he rehashes so much stuff from his other films, could have gone much wilder with this one. i thought the voice acting of chappie could have been better too. die antwood was a good choice, of course they can't act for shit but their presence adds the right amount of bling to the film.

Ex Machina: It took me ages to work out why Charlie Brooker and etc are using the Facebook and Google notification noises in their sound design.

It's because their Existential Crisis trips are trying to make our Illuminati Confirmations that much more poignant.

But that's why I'm drunk.

Guest kymppinetti

I've gone through lot of movies lately, but Kar Wai Wongs: Fallen Angels only one worth of mentioning. It was, in its entirety, very enjoyable movie. (I don't want to spoil it any futher haha.)

If you're thinking of watching it, you should firts see Kar Wai Wongs: Chungking Express. In Fallen Angels, there is all buch of references to Chungking Express film. And they are, in my opinion, quite amusing. Keep your eye sharp, and you might see them.

Enemy, really good, and a lot better than Prisoners (which I thought was only ok). Beautifully shot, loved the claustrophobic nature of the city-scapes, everything drenched in fog/smog, lit in a grimy yellow, slow panning around everything and with a soundtrack that really sealed the deal. Obviously heavily inspired by Lost Highway, love films like this where you have to try and puzzle everything out, and then have to read up as much as you can to try and fill in the blanks afterwards (lots of little details I completely missed first time I watched, like the ripped photo, the sunglasses sitting on a table, probably more). The wife was really beautiful, she's kind of weird looking at the same time, but there's something about her, the only other things I can remember her from was Cosmopolis (one of the few films I've switched off half way through, so terrible), and that stupid Dracula thing, must check out more stuff she's in.

Ex Machina.

Enjoyed it, pretty good film. Felt like it could have been a bit longer and got a bit more depth to the story, it seemed fairly rushed.

Poltergeist (1982) --

Decided to watch this at 2am last night. The movie always terrified me as a kid and I could never finish it. In a conversation with a friend about well-done horror films (which I'm a big fan of now), we got to talking about this and I realized I'd never seen it through all the way. Now having finally done so, I'm extremely impressed with it. While there's a few minor instances of dated looking 80s effects, pretty much everything about this film is excellent. Well fleshed out characters in the parents you actually empathize with (thanks to the slow building, lighthearted first act), a real sense of menace and high-stakes danger throughout the later bits, genuinely chilling psychological concepts when you think what it'd be like to be a 5 year old stuck in purgatory (enhanced with great sound design), and some really excellent practical effects to give a weight and texture to things like the child-devouring tree or the giant orange hellmouth.

10/10. Excellent film that still holds up. I can see why it's a classic.

Edited by autopilot

Paris, TX - 9.5/10 - Great movie. Slow in a good way. Beautiful cinematography. Last third is especially great.

Blue Ruin - 9/10 - Reminded me of the Coen bros, but on a more indie scale. Tightly scripted, intense. Great performance from the lead actor. Look forward to more from the director.

Paris, TX - 9.5/10 - Great movie. Slow in a good way. Beautiful cinematography. Last third is especially great.

Ry Cooder did the music too.......nuff said

If you enjoyed that you might also like The American Friend (with Dennis Hopper & Hitler/B Ganz from Downfall), Wenders on top form again:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075675/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_43