High Plains Drifter

Cool bizarre western film - Clint gets up to some really questionable actions here, but is still the man, (or perhaps less of one?) Either way, it's pretty fun with some supernatural elements thrown in...has a really odd atmosphere throughout.

Sweet cigars/10

banner.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^

along with the Spaghetti selections & Josey Wales def 1 of Clint's better westerns....proper motley crew of bad guys, the usual array of early malpaso supporting actors.....& an ace n eery soundtrack too....

F8/10

4u3uyr8.jpg

seen this many times, but it's been years. re-visited it again tonight and holy shit. not only does it hold up, i think it's actually better than i remember it being. what i'm saying is this film is a masterpiece

seen this many times, but it's been years. re-visited it again tonight and holy shit. not only does it hold up, i think it's actually better than i remember it being. what i'm saying is this film is a masterpiece

it is!!

it's basically american southern gothic/detective remade for spain of specific era and context, even one of the lead actors looks like matthew mcconaughey. it's just extremely tropey and cliched. exploited teen girls, pedos, gruesome torture, oppressive politics, corruption, troubled detectives...it's just overstuffed with all theose that there's no room for anything really original and interesting to develop..

I watched this just before the Academy Awards, because some of my friends were all up in arms over it. It's ok, but fuck, me it's depressing.

So many better russian films! It's a bit disturbing at the start when the sponsored by the russian goverment logo pops up. The bleakness never felt so clung to.

The Gift

Rebecca Hall is a prisoner in this anti working from home film. Never has life felt so meaningness and shallow in a suburb of California. It's like a Hitchcock of that film The Joneses from late 2000s. The bloke from Horrible Bosses does his best David Duchovny. Sly nod to Kubrick in one scene.

Hallwillmakeonemanveryhappyindeedoneday/10

im gonna lower my leviafan rating to 7/10, now that i've had some time to think it over. i really liked it though, said^ bleakness was intense as fuck and spot on. also, i liked the mayor character.

The Matrix - 10/10 - Cinematic and psychedelic wisdom masterpiece, hidden under Hollywood gloss. The second and third films do continue "the story" as known by those who've meditated forever, with regards to unification of consciousness and all that, but as far as filmmaking goes, the first one is superior in every aspect. The framing and lighting, performances all around, are impressively solid in the first one. It's really a great film.

Napoleon Dynamite - 9/10 - This is a masterpiece of slow storytelling and dense character development, all executed transparently and indirectly. I actually cannot pinpoint why I cannot give it a 10. In that case, it is probably a 10. This was popular upon release due to its "retarded" nature, but it's waaay more than just a superficial retard fest. It captures lonely/uneventful country life (which can also be experienced in suburban life), asks questions on what it means to be a a successful "person", and gives hope to all breeds of life. Hilarious, heartwarming, all around well executed. After watching a lot of failing indie shorts and feature lengths that try to capture this vibe of "uneventful nothing, full of everything", it becomes apparent just how great Napoleon Dynamite is. Especially with a character as strong as Napoleon Dynamite, it's amazing that they were able to pull it off without being over the top or feeling contrived. But I imagine this film does not work if one has not once been like Napoleon or known someone like Napoleon.

Have you seen Eagle vs Shark peace?

I live in Wellington where it was filmed so it's cool seeing all the places I regually walk around.

I watched:

7/10

Quite good 'possession' type movie from 1977 but the twist is Anthony Hopkins believes a couples daughter is actually his daughter reincarnated.

A fairly 'tame' horror from the brilliant director Robert Wise who I love! (The Body Snatchers, The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Andromeda Strain, I Want to Live!, Curse Of The Cat People, The Sound Of Music, West Side Story and my favorite The Haunting 1963.)

Watched Vertigo, excellent! Probably my second favourite Hitchcock film next to Rope. 8/10

Edit: no, that's wrong, Rear Window is my favourite. This comes in third. FYI

Edited by Gocab