John Wick, yo. 8.3/10

Honestly, this is worth an 8.5 or 8.8 out of 10, if it weren't for the sound. It's really quite good, especially considering the fact that revenge stories are fucking hard to write. I've written a revenge film, and it remains incomplete, due to the difficulty of not having a boring killfest with no character development or story other than, "dude gets revenge".

John Wick is indeed a revenge flick, but the reasons for revenge- or at least how the reasons happen- backstory, yadda yadda, things are somewhat novel. The main characters have purpose and initiative. The only reason why I took off some points is because the sound design, foley work-whatever- is sub-par. The action sequences are superb, but the viewer doesn't really get a sense of speed, weight, or pain, due to the fight sounds... I suppose, sounding quite real? Music is also kind of weak. But this film is definitely an example of how important sounds are to a fight scene. Really unfortunate.

Overall, very organic, with "realistic" action and gun shootout scenes. Feels a bit old school Hong Kong action/shooting, with new school polish. That's "polish" as in "sheen"; not Poland influencing Hong Kong aesthetic.

As far as revenge films go, this is somewhat memorable for suuurprisingly- story. Not good enough to froth at the mouth and recommend, but a fun watch for a casual watching day.

Keanu has been hyping John Wick 2 already on Twitter, I think they were shot back to back.

John Wick, yo. 8.3/10

Honestly, this is worth an 8.5 or 8.8 out of 10, if it weren't for the sound. It's really quite good, especially considering the fact that revenge stories are fucking hard to write. I've written a revenge film, and it remains incomplete, due to the difficulty of not having a boring killfest with no character development or story other than, "dude gets revenge".

John Wick is indeed a revenge flick, but the reasons for revenge- or at least how the reasons happen- backstory, yadda yadda, things are somewhat novel. The main characters have purpose and initiative. The only reason why I took off some points is because the sound design, foley work-whatever- is sub-par. The action sequences are superb, but the viewer doesn't really get a sense of speed, weight, or pain, due to the fight sounds... I suppose, sounding quite real? Music is also kind of weak. But this film is definitely an example of how important sounds are to a fight scene. Really unfortunate.

Overall, very organic, with "realistic" action and gun shootout scenes. Feels a bit old school Hong Kong action/shooting, with new school polish. That's "polish" as in "sheen"; not Poland influencing Hong Kong aesthetic.

As far as revenge films go, this is somewhat memorable for suuurprisingly- story. Not good enough to froth at the mouth and recommend, but a fun watch for a casual watching day.

Keanu has been hyping John Wick 2 already on Twitter, I think they were shot back to back.

Oh, snap dawg. Hopefully the sound is better for the second one! The first one so needs better fight sounds that I considered for a second torrenting a my soundtrack version, but then I realized, who the fuck can care that much, da fuk. It actually might be a really good opportunity to get foley/sfx work, though, because RARELY do good fight scenes have bad sound like John Wick.

Ok, let's see...

Hellraiser 25/10

Eden 10/10

Amy

Star Trek Generations

Corrina, Corrina 10/10

Frida 30/10

Edited by hoggy

Wanderlust - 8/10 great comedic cast from The State / Reno 911 (bc Ken Marino wrote it)

David Wain wrote it, no? He's usually the main guy behind those things. Wainy Days was great. Looking forward to the Wet Hot American Summer show, it seems to be out, but can only find a rip of episode #4 for some reason.

Wanderlust - 8/10 great comedic cast from The State / Reno 911 (bc Ken Marino wrote it)

what the fuck, I was recommended this in chatmm as a joke (I thought) and it was a pile of shit, am I missing something or am I just not in on the joke?

David Wain wrote it, no? He's usually the main guy behind those things. Wainy Days was great. Looking forward to the Wet Hot American Summer show, it seems to be out, but can only find a rip of episode #4 for some reason.

IMDB says Wain & Marino co-wrote it. Different strokes

tumblr_inline_nq98vzGGOs1qeptps_540.jpg

kids movie. basically, a bunch of clumsy (but resourceful) sheep get their owner into an accident and must get him back. if you've got little kids they'll probably like it, although it's not even that good

Teorema: only having seem Salo as my entry point into Pasolini i guess i was expecting something a little more meaty than what i saw. The premise of Teorema (at first) is interesting: what if a mysterious man was able to seduce every single member of a close knit immediate family (son daughter husband and wife)? It's a setup for a potentially really great film but beyond the setup i was left pretty disappointed. Terrence Stamp is awesome, but his character exits the movie about halfway through leaving us to deal with the aftermath of how he affected the lives of the family members. Its cute to see how the 'visitor' drastically changed their lives but not enough to hold 50% of the film. 6/10

Is salo considered one of his more accomplished/fleshed out films? this had a way more minimalistic feel to it

No. Watch Accettone, it's by far his greatest accomplishment. Salo is dripping with his hatred and disdain for the Roman Catholic Church and was made purely for the purpose of pissing them off. It worked as the rumours are they had him killed. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/24/who-really-killed-pier-paolo-pasolini-venice-film-festival-biennale-abel-ferrara

Edited by MDM Chaos

tumblr_inline_nq98vzGGOs1qeptps_540.jpg

kids movie. basically, a bunch of clumsy (but resourceful) sheep get their owner into an accident and must get him back. if you've got little kids they'll probably like it, although it's not even that good

i had to turn it off, something PC about it was bugging me.

Jurassic World - meh. Just meh.

Entourage - ok, admittedly I watched a shitty chinese rip, but fuck that was awful. I liked the TV series, but the film was terrible.

Michael Mann double feature of Thief and Heat

Both flix were stylish as fuck, but Pacino is awful in Heat, which felt way more dated despite being the more recent film.

Worse than that.

I think it's mehness is its greatest offence, how did they make a film where massive dinosaurs eating people is meh?!

Worse than that.

I think it's mehness is its greatest offence, how did they make a film where massive dinosaurs eating people is meh?!

Pretty much this. I liked Chris Pratt in Guardians of the Galaxy, but he was totally forgettable in this, as was every other character. The dinosaurs were meh. Everything was meh.

Ow yeah I watched like the first hour of The Falls still have to finish that. Good stuff.

Have you seen his later films?

Yes, but none of them have the humour of The Falls.

I like Drowning By Numbers, A Zed & Two Noughts, The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover and Prospero's Books, but not much else.

I find the acting and dialogue quite bad in many of his work, and that's off putting.

Zed & 2 Noughts was the first I saw by him, I thought it was great. Drowning by Numbers is probably my fav. Bad acting usually doesn't bother me that much if the atmosphere etc. are good, hadn't really noticed that tbh.

Anyone know if The Draughtsman's Contract is any good?

Saw Human Centipede 3 last night, the main bloke just shouts throughout, painful to listen to and very dull. When you have seen one human centipede sadly you have seen them all.

Michael Mann double feature of Thief and Heat

Both flix were stylish as fuck, but Pacino is awful in Heat, which felt way more dated despite being the more recent film.

Tangerine Dream soundtrack on the former is a blast

Drowning By Numbers 8/10

Platime 8/10

Zed & 2 Noughts was the first I saw by him, I thought it was great. Drowning by Numbers is probably my fav. Bad acting usually doesn't bother me that much if the atmosphere etc. are good, hadn't really noticed that tbh.

Anyone know if The Draughtsman's Contract is any good?

all of these & Prospero's Books are mint.

Drowning By Numbers got on my tits 1st watch, re-watched couple of weeks later & got completely lost in the madness in the best way.