Calvary - 8/10

I was really disappointed by this one, the characters in it are ridiculous and undermine everything else. I know Ireland is a bit gimp but fucking hell, what was up with that greasy Chicago bloke?

yeah, it was pretty terrible. Gleason was the only decent thing about it, he's a great actor. The rest of the characters were just terrible though, and the story was pretty shit too.

but what the fuck do you mean by 'Ireland is a bit gimp'?

preferred Calvary to the Guard and being raised catholic it explored some interesting themes. The locals reminded me a lot of the characters in Under Milk Wood too, with their general deviousness & complete untrustworthy persuasions

Watched Il Conformista for the second time yesterday. Beautiful film, visually speaking it's the most amazing thing I've ever seen, reminded me of Alphaville quite a bit at times.

incredible flawless film and story, been a long time since seeing it but particularly remember loving the interior architectural/building shots/sequences, another thread reminder to rewatch an old classic, so ta for that

I'm trying to find a movie, I saw the trailer here within the last year or so

black & white, dudes with swords riding horses across british-looking moors, some camera weirdness going on too...

dammit all I really remember was thinking I wanted to see it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Field_in_England

my man! :beer:

Calvary - 8/10

I was really disappointed by this one, the characters in it are ridiculous and undermine everything else. I know Ireland is a bit gimp but fucking hell, what was up with that greasy Chicago bloke?

Hm, I really liked it. But hey, I'm a sucker for Brendan Gleeson's face, so...

White God 9/10 - This one is about the strays of Hungary fighting back against oppression and i was as impressed with it as I expected to be. I'd been waiting ages to see it after missing it at the cinema after a scant two day run i was reduced to the pathetic state of downloading it and plugging a USB stick into the side of my TV which doesn't do it justice.

153757.jpg

It's the tale of the bond between a young girl and her beloved pooch Hagen who get split up by the bad dad who chucks Hagan into Budapest where he joins up with a bunch of other strays where they face the real hardships of life on the streets and Hagen ends up leading a revolt. During their time apart the girl goes through her own coming of age thing and their two tales run parallel. It's very engrossing and there is much to be impressed with, every scene is bursting with detail, there's a lot of allegory but the balance is just right between that and the narrative. And the scenes with the dogs themselves are brilliant, 200 dogs running amok down the empty streets, you watch in awe, half wondering how they managed to do it with no CGI. Joyous yet heartbreaking.

Anyone seen Human Centipede 3 yet? Didn't realise it was even released yet, but apparently it is. Looks lolworthy and very wrong.

i watched it and i really hated it. it's not even like it was made by the same filmmaker because it was so amateur. and i have to add, i LOVED the first one. really thought it was brilliant. the second one wasn't as good imo only because it fetishized the violence. but the third one was... not sure what the fuck it was except THERE WASSS A LOT OF YEEEELLLLINNNGGGG

A Man Most Wanted - Seymour Hoffman detaches himself from the entire film and just wanders around like an omnipresent english ttourist in Hamburg. William Defoe kicks everyone else off the set as his presence is too much for everyone else to handle. 40 years after Chinatown, Anton Corbijn makes this, regressive thriller saved by Rachel McAdams being more real than damp air in the morning. So real is she, that she still lives there to this day on her bicycle ignoring casual invites from powerful responsible citizens like lawyers and heads of secret intelligence nationalists. Salaam Hamburg!

read some reviews around Eden and though i dont particularly like Daft Punk & their public face of the whole la maison Francais (which includes infinitely better music), it looks a world away from the wank of Human Traffic etc (thank fuck)

...... proper house,,,,,, soundsystem collectives......sacre bleu

Creep - 3/10

What a sorry excuse for a film.

Completely fucking pointless and I'm getting really tired of Mark Duplass and his face.

I'm giving it 3 stars because of the short runtime.

RuPRWKP.jpg

hadn't watched this film since it first came out in 1998 and now, 17 years later, i still enjoyed it. the film still does have some serious 90s traits (mostly the music and that trainspotting type energy)

P7v8yPN.jpg

despite having a lot of interest in world war 2 i'd never seen this film and i have to say, i wish i never did. rather than telling the story about how oskar schindler was trying to save jews from the massacre the film also injects its opinion on the situation- so it always feels like propaganda. despite this, i thought ralph fiennes was amazing as crazed nazi officer amon goeth and ben kingsley did his usual "i represent man's persecution on his fellow man" role

Birdman.

Finally watched this after months of wanting to checkidout. Was great. Strong characters all around, story about finding identity, and transformation, and all sorts of obscure emotions and whatever that basically amount to the vibe of the human experience.

9.87/10

Birdman.

Finally watched this after months of wanting to checkidout. Was great. Strong characters all around, story about finding identity, and transformation, and all sorts of obscure emotions and whatever that basically amount to the vibe of the human experience.

agreed.

Nightcrawler - 6.5/10

Was recommended this by a friend. Thought the main character was great and well acted, but the ending seemed a bit rushed. Seemed like there could have been a much better end to the story, although I still enjoyed it I guess.

Antman - 6.5/10

Had some great moments but clearly an inferior end product to what would have been if Edgar Wright stayed on board. Say what you will about World's End, but all the live action stuff in that movie was shot in a pretty expert way and the pacing/beats were pretty flawless. Only the CGI stuff in Ant Man seemed visually fully competent from a filmmaking point of view. Also the cgi in this tended to look better than even stuff in Age of Ultron probably because most of didn't need to be composited into a live action shot.
The young cgi michael douglas looked surprisingly good though, a little jarring but weird how much they nailed the Wall ST era douglas face.
Evangeline Lilly added absolutely zero to the movie, all her lines felt forced and her character was one dimensional as shit. Some of the emotional moments felt really forced in too, the only one that worked for me was the flashback scene with Hank Pym and Wasp.
I almost feel like Marvel held off Antman's release (PAul Rudd was always attached) was delayed once they realized Robert Downey Jr was playing such a bankable comic relief type of character as Tony Stark. IT makes more sense to wait till Stark's character evolved into an unlikeable shit head to debut Antman.
I'm getting sick of forced in tokenistic ethnicity in tentpole movies though. Jurassic World already had too much of it. The hispanic friends of antman in this movie almost felt more stereotypical and incidentally racist VS if the movie had 100% white characters in it

Ok sounds like it's worth checking out,there's no getting away from CGI in Marvel films. What do you think Edgar Wright would have done differently?

Mission_Impossible_Rogue_Nation_poster.j

just got back from this. i hate to admit it, but it was really good. it's still basically tom cruise and his friends vs lots of bad guys.

i kinda didn't buy that the syndicate was as badass as they were made out to be- especially the henchmen who (at times) seemed incompetent but i loved the idea that they were an anti-imf

7 last minute explosions in london out of 10

Mission_Impossible_Rogue_Nation_poster.j

just got back from this. i hate to admit it, but it was really good. it's still basically tom cruise and his friends vs lots of bad guys.

i kinda didn't buy that the syndicate was as badass as they were made out to be- especially the henchmen who (at times) seemed incompetent but i loved the idea that they were an anti-imf

7 last minute explosions in london out of 10

Is it as good as Tom Cruise: Ghost Protocol?