IGNORED

My Bloody Valentine - mbv

vamos scorcho

Guest igloos unlmtd

When I was a kid back in 1994 I remember finally getting on the internet for the first time. My Bloody Valentine was the first query I ever typed into Netscape. I pulled up Evan Olcott's MBV site at triplo.net - It was so cool to be able to download & see the videos for the first time. & you could read all the rumors of the new album.

So, it's weird to have this album now.. wow, I feel like I've been taken back in time.

Of course I have the album on repeat. It's good & reminds me more of the Loveless era EP's than Loveless - which is good, cause I adore the Tremelo & Glider EP's. I always thought they were a little more free & experimental sounding. Sometimes I'm reminded of those post loveless tracks too, like All The Time In the World.

It doesn't really have a hit song like Glider but that's ok. It doesn't really have the pop hooks that I was expecting either... but it does have Kevin, Belinda, & the classic reverse reverb textures.

It's great to finally hear the drum & bass thing that he always mentioned - I waited for it the whole time, only to find out its the last track on the album. Unlike Loveless, the punch in the face doesn't come til the end. For me, that was surprising.

What's my favorite track I wonder... there are a couple of them that I really like. If I Am might hold my fav spot right now. Those vocal melodies that swirl at the end are great.

I can't get over how this is a really special almost spiritual moment for many of my old friends from the shoegaze days. It's like Kevin released an endless party to the world.

Its clear that this album isn't Loveless but it never needed to be...

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest igloos unlmtd

Yeah, number 7 - In Another Way is great - those keyboard melodies are moving. Love the little drum fill in New You number 6, this is the one that reminds me of All the Time in the World.

pretty much agree with the consensus so far, it's no loveless but I definitely like this album alot so far. And feels fitting even after 22 years gap. This album feels very 90's actually, like mid to late 90's and I wouldn't doubt that some of this was probably recorded during then. Might be blasphemous to say but although i love Loveless, the sounds on that record are very thin sounding, I definitely feel like their production skills improved alot since then. This album has very full sounding tracks - which is one of the reasons why I like it. It's a "full sounding" mbv if you know what i mean.

i'm a bit torn about this.

on the one hand i absolutely love it. it sounds exactly like the perfect followup to loveless which i was afraid it wouldn't be (i thought it'd be along the lines of seefeel's latest one for instance, which i felt basically just didn't feel like a seefeel record). so, shit is lush and mbv rules!

on the other hand it sounds almost too much like a follow up to loveless which has lent a kind of uncanny discomfort to the listening experience for me so far. perhaps this is just a shallow aspect of my first experience with the album but i admit there is a part of me that feels slightly disappointed that after 20 goddamn years i'm basically listening to something that would not surprise me in the least if it had been released in 1995. this is where i disagree with zaphod's claim that this is "forward thinking" -- b/c basically this to me sounds exactly like the third mbv lp should have sounded like if they put it out back in the day.

i guess this is both awesome and, sadly, for me somewhat disappointing.

idk, still give this shit an A though

i think the track "wonder 2" is forward thinking, or sounding. whatever you want to call it. not quite innovative but it sounds really interesting to me. the rest of the album is very much of the 90's and feels like the material on the glider and tremolo eps. this is not a bad thing for me because i actually prefer those eps to loveless. i like wonder 2 because it basically sounds like the entire album layered into a song. it's what i would think a new mbv song would sound like and hopefully hints at a new direction, like soon did on loveless. i don't know where mbv can go at this point as their sound is so developed. you just have to kind of accept it and either embrace this or not. but i couldn't ask for a better album, honestly.

tldr: i probably agree with you, but i can't be disappointed by something that i didn't think would ever happen

i think you're right. when you say you couldn't ask for a better album that does kind of sum it up doesn't it? i mean, even the day it was released i was honestly thinking it wasn't going to happen and then in a matter of hours i had an entire album full of amazing tracks, no duds, just sheer mbv awesomeness.

so yeah, sorry to complain everyone...

midway through my first listen on headphones... phones really bring out all the delicious little production minutae. fuck, this is such a well produced album. a big ol middle finger to the brickwall brigade.

Yeah I noticed it's actually fairly quiet compared to other albums I have on my phone.

Also, I'm so glad there isn't another 'Touched' on this album.

Touched kind of ruined loveless for me. Such a horrible track

I feel that way about "I only said" a little. I'm always like "fuck, why hasn't this song ended yet?"

So hard to separate the music from two decades of waiting on it - I was OBSESSED with MBV around the time of Glider / Tremolo and the album delivered in spades, and then it all waned gradually. Now that I am listening to it outside the lunacy of site crashes and waking up in the night to check, I am starting to love some songs.

And I will see them live for the first time in 11 days. So that is pretty incredible.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

i love touched! it's like a little 'step out of this otherness, into... this otherness' moment.

me too. it's a nice little psychedelic interlude.

i love touched! it's like a little 'step out of this otherness, into... this otherness' moment.

me too. it's a nice little psychedelic interlude.

Yeah, and unlike everything else on Loveless it doesn't repeat itself unnecessarily 4 times

Just kidding, Kev, I love you

Guest nene multiple assgasms

that guitar solo kind of reminds me of mary timony from helium.

'90s indie rock nostalgia up in this bitch.

Me too. I still don't 'get' touched.

It's the only track on loveless not written by Kevin Shields. There, now you get it.

thanks for turning me on to yellow loveless, watmm.

splendid.

there's a korean tribute called "Loveless - Tribute" with a blue cover. some fantastic covers by korean shoegaze / post-rock bands, and some suprisingly successful incorporation of electronic elements. however, some stuff is really forgetable, like the cover of what you want. still worth seeking out. much harder to find, though.

Sorry for the heavy handed answer, it's what I do for a living and statements that the brain is digital really press my buttons! I will edit the Wikipedia thing.

what do you do for a living? just curious

The first listen to this thing is bound to be tough? It's like, "I'm hearing this, is it THAT good?"

But my second listen right now feels like an auditory massage from an old flame. Yuussss

The first listen to this thing is bound to be tough? It's like, "I'm hearing this, is it THAT good?"

But my second listen right now feels like an auditory massage from an old flame. Yuussss

yeah, i'm with you. the first time through i was almost annoyed that i wasn't loving it right away. i'm on my third good listen, melodies are jumping out more and the guitars are amazing. i keep re-listening to little seconds-long snippets. it's worming its way into my brain.

anyone else almost afraid to listen to it the first time? i've heard a lot of albums in my life that i couldn't believe were finally here, but this was tops. what a long, strange trip it's been.

Archived