IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Guest cult fiction

Guest bitroast

Well. There's the preorders at least. I probably wouls have jumped in and preordered too but am moving this month and want to settle I'm first*n*

Want the new BOC*u* I've become such a fan boy again these past couple weeks.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we'll probably have the previews to keep us going soon.

If the album debuts in Japan on the 5th, they'll want to pre-empt illegal downloads of that by releasing the legal downloads a day or two before then. Bleep have released the digital versions of major albums earlier than they originally stated before, If I recall.

With that line of reasoning, the previews may go up two weeks before then. I'd be surprised if there isn't something to listen to in a week or two.

It's all good.

Well, we'll probably have the previews to keep us going soon.

If the album debuts in Japan on the 5th, they'll want to pre-empt illegal downloads of that by releasing the legal downloads a day or two before then. Bleep have released the digital versions of major albums earlier than they originally stated before, If I recall.

With that line of reasoning, the previews may go up two weeks before then. I'd be surprised if there isn't something to listen to in a week or two.

It's all good.

the past three Autechre releases (Oversteps, Move of Ten, Exai) have had digital vinyls available approx. one month ahead of physical release schedule.

i still think they should have released the album right after the the numbers were decoded. even if they delayed the number search to line up with when they wanted to release it. or at least in the ballpark..

it all seems so silly now, the amount of momentum they generated would have been the most effective way to prevent leaks as people would be downloading from bleep at a furious pace. all in line with their credit cards.

Yeah, I imagine the most people would have bought it when the hype was at its highest ... but the sale of physical copies probably would have been difficult to organize, logistics-wise, with such a variable release/shipping date.

i still think they should have released the album right after the the numbers were decoded. even if they delayed the number search to line up with when they wanted to release it. or at least in the ballpark..

it all seems so silly now, the amount of momentum they generated would have been the most effective way to prevent leaks as people would be downloading from bleep at a furious pace. all in line with their credit cards.

Yeah, I imagine the most people would have bought it when the hype was at its highest ... but the sale of physical copies probably would have been difficult to organize, logistics-wise, with such a variable release/shipping date.

it is absolutely technically possible to have released the digital vinyls on the same day the numbers were figured out. But contractual agreements with other distributors would've likely been breached by such an act.

I figure he means that those people who bought the vinyl would get their digi download since the vinyl hasn't been pressed/prepped/shipped or whatever, yet...

I'm not sure =/

Makes sense! =)

I'm kind of surprised at this too. It would have made WAY more sense to release the album as soon as the code was cracked, or at least have more marketing/hype until the release date.

Or to release clues slowly, each one pointing towards the release date, finally releasing the album when the last clue was figured out, etc.

I feel like there's a big depressing void now as I wait for the fucking album lol.

But there is definitely going to be Exai amounts of hallucinogens involved for the weekend after June 10th. BoC listening day ftw!

digital vinyl with bonus virtual 7"

infrared format 7"... can only listen with infrared goggles. synesthesia and all that. drusgssq

i dont see why the preorder for the physical product couldn't have been exactly the same, only you get instant downloads of the album.

i dont see why the preorder for the physical product couldn't have been exactly the same, only you get instant downloads of the album.

wouldn't it piss off Apple, though? same as with any distribution of anything.

distributors and retailers don't like to be at the arse end of an exclusivity deal. an early release, only on Bleep, would amount to that.

I dunno though, maybe I'm reading too much into it? It's not like I work in the music industry.

Just trying to figure out a reason why the downloads weren't released immediately upon announcement.

I hope there are no (more) samples / previews, that usually means I over-listen to a certain track and it sours my taste of it in the future.

A complete fresh album is awesome - Exai worked well this way.

Move of Ten gave us the y7 preview if I remember correctly.

I hope there are no (more) samples / previews, that usually means I over-listen to a certain track and it sours my taste of it in the future.

A complete fresh album is awesome - Exai worked well this way.

Move of Ten gave us the y7 preview if I remember correctly.

don't forget though - Juno jumped the gun by having previews in shitty quality available too early, and a lot of negative comments came forthwith.

I agree - I hope there are no more previews until the thing is released, so it can be consumed whole. At the table. with salt and pepper, and mom and pop, and that little fucking dog that always nags for the leftovers.

Guest Enter a new display name

I can't wait for the audiophiles to slow down Bleep's servers with their 24 bit WAV downloads while other people will simply want the MP3/FLAC files once the album is available for download.

I can't wait for the audiophiles to slow down Bleep's servers with their 24 bit WAV downloads while other people will simply want the MP3/FLAC files once the album is available for download.

what a lovely WATMM-like jaded opinion!

completely disregarding the fact that just the traffic to Bleep for pre-ordering a physical product alone brought Bleep.com and Warp.net to their knees, you seem to disavow the very likely scenario that the sheer amount of traffic of patrons who just want MP3/FLAC files would cause the exact same issue.

Archived