IGNORED

Burial - Rival Dealer

bubbhasdance

Burial is overrated. Drexciya will be underrated until the New York Times does an article on him./them

Burial is good but come on, Amon Tobin level. Nobody goes around saying Amon Tobin is the best thing that ever happened to music. It's just really good electronic stuff. Like burial.

I will say that burial may be slightly better than that, deffffinately have been getting vaporwave vibes since truant rough sleeper.

lol comparing burial to amon tobin. spending a year just to learn new techniques so u can make a perfectly executed album in the next 3 years vs throwing random rimshots in soundforge there and there and adding sampled stuff with reverb. gg. still better then drexciya tho (8 mins of 808 drum loop + 2 note synth lines all thrown together mixed worse than squarepusher)

Tru Feels > Complex studio techniques

but burials tr fils have been dun

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like the title, 'Hiders', is describing a subhuman species that will branch from us in the future; they reside in a warren of tunnels beneath the super-cities. The sound heard at 3:31 is clearly the sound they make to communicate with one another!

Don't know if you saw my earlier post but that sound is actually Jimi's pick slide from the start of 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be). Odd coincidence if you didn't know that because the lyrics kind of fit your description of some next evolutionary step (except of course, he goes to live in the sea, Jimi really liked the sea for some reason).

Hurrah i awake from yesterday

alive but the war is here to stay

so my love catherina and me

decide to take our last walk

through the noise to the sea

not to die but to be re-born

away from a life so battered and torn....

forever...

oh say can you see its really such a mess

every inch of earth is a fighting nest

giant pencil and lip-stick tube shaped things

continue to rain and cause screaming pain

and the arctic stains

from silver blue to bloody red

as our feet find the sand

and the sea is strait ahead..

strait ahead.....

well its too bad

that our friends

cant be with us today

well thats too bad

"the machine

that we built

would never save us"

thats what they say

(thats why they aint coming with us today)

and they also said

"its impossible for man

to live and breath underwater..

forever" was their main complaint

(yeah)

and they also threw this in my face:

they said

anyway

you know good well

it would be beyond the will of God

and the grace of the King

(grace of the King yeah yeah)

so my darling and I

make love in the sand

to salute the last moment

ever on dry land

our machine has done its work

played its part well

without a scratch on our bodies

and we bid it farewell

starfish and giant foams

greet us with a smile

before our heads go under

we take a last look

at the killing noise

of the out of style...

the out of style, out of style

No I totally didn't see that earlier! That is cool!

Somehow this observation and the earlier mention of Drexciya were unrelated. Well until now I guess.

Man, this is such a weird thread. And a weird EP. It's Weird Al. I mean it's all weird.

I only got into Burial from the Kindred EP onwards - I only like his most recent EPs. I can't get into his earlier releases at all.

This current EP is a grower. I'm liking it more and more I listen to it... but I'm not used to listening to this kind of music with the heavy use of pitched up female vocals. His approach to music making reminds me of VHS Head. Very cut and paste, with lots of layers and samples put together in unique ways.

I have to say that I really love the end of Rival Dealer - the last 2-3 mins with that melody being repeated before an abrupt end.

I feel like the title, 'Hiders', is describing a subhuman species that will branch from us in the future; they reside in a warren of tunnels beneath the super-cities. The sound heard at 3:31 is clearly the sound they make to communicate with one another!

Don't know if you saw my earlier post but that sound is actually Jimi's pick slide from the start of 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be). Odd coincidence if you didn't know that because the lyrics kind of fit your description of some next evolutionary step (except of course, he goes to live in the sea, Jimi really liked the sea for some reason).

forever...

and the arctic stains

strait ahead.....

well its too bad

that our friends

cant be with us today

well thats too bad

"the machine

that we built

would never save us"

thats what they say

and they also said

"its impossible for man

(yeah)

they said

anyway

you know good well

so my darling and I

make love in the sand

ever on dry land

played its part well

and we bid it farewell

starfish and giant foams

greet us with a smile

we take a last look

at the killing noise

of the out of style...

Somehow this observation and the earlier mention of Drexciya were unrelated. Well until now I guess.

Man, this is such a weird thread. And a weird EP. It's Weird Al. I mean it's all weird.

These synchronicities are too much

It's like Weird Al

It's like a surgeon

Burial is like a surgeon

BURIL IS SURGEON

HOLY HELL IS SURGEON BURIAL OR WHAT

I've only listened to "Hiders" so far as I'm waiting till I have the record to hear the rest, but I have to admit I like it quite a lot. I was completely shocked and almost LOLed when the drums kicked in.

It's definitely a Christmassy track, that's for sure.

People were always saying "more of the same from the Burial" with each new release, so at least he is trying something new. And for me, it's working.

I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the EP.

Guest ZombieLincoln666

so kanye west makes a brilliant and ultra weird album and it get's shit on here

burial makes 3 shitty tracks and half of you think it's genious

such idm forum

Is Kanye even british?

forever...

and the arctic stains

strait ahead.....

well its too bad

that our friends

cant be with us today

well thats too bad

"the machine

that we built

would never save us"

thats what they say

and they also said

"its impossible for man

(yeah)

they said

anyway

you know good well

so my darling and I

make love in the sand

ever on dry land

played its part well

and we bid it farewell

starfish and giant foams

greet us with a smile

we take a last look

at the killing noise

of the out of style...

These synchronicities are too much

It's like Weird Al

It's like a surgeon

Burial is like a surgeon

BURIL IS STURGEON

HOLY HELL IS STURGEON BURIAL OR WHAT

buriel = fishman = EOD vol 2

omg

You're slaying it in this thread. On point, JoshuaTX.

as usual

such idm forum

is this a serious post?

such idm forum

is this a serious post?

yeah i love that album, one of the best new things i heard this year

ivan ooze alwys seris

i'm always utlra

Come down to us hit me really, really fucking hard. When the ending voiceover came in, I thought it sounded hokey.. but when the transgendered thing was said.. I kind of broke down. I've been dealing with some serious gender dysphoria for the last 6 years. It's something that I thought I had defeated a few years ago, but it came back this year. It feels like this track just describes everything I'm going through right now. I'm with someone really incredible, and she embraces me for who I am. We're moving in together tomorrow.. and fuck. Burial just seems to have this knack for making music that lines up with my life really hauntingly. Love this EP, can't wait to listen to the rest of it with my significant other.

/emotional bullshit

If the rest of the album is anything like this track, I'm going to love it. Burial just keeps pleasantly surprising me. I can see why this album is probably really polarizing for people. I love it, personally.

not that it's a big deal to me or anything but if anyone says any other mean things about this album i will kill myself

choking with laughter

help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7pX8M73CrA&feature=player_detailpage

Nice. My username is based off of a misquote from a Gorguts song, so you're not far off mein Freund.

Come down to us hit me really, really fucking hard. When the ending voiceover came in, I thought it sounded hokey.. but when the transgendered thing was said.. I kind of broke down. I've been dealing with some serious gender dysphoria for the last 6 years. It's something that I thought I had defeated a few years ago, but it came back this year. It feels like this track just describes everything I'm going through right now. I'm with someone really incredible, and she embraces me for who I am. We're moving in together tomorrow.. and fuck. Burial just seems to have this knack for making music that lines up with my life really hauntingly. Love this EP, can't wait to listen to the rest of it with my significant other.

/emotional bullshit

If the rest of the album is anything like this track, I'm going to love it. Burial just keeps pleasantly surprising me. I can see why this album is probably really polarizing for people. I love it, personally.

I personally can't stand any of Burial's music. I find it ridiculously overhyped, very simplistic, very poorly produced, and very "hokey" and gimmicky (yeah I get it, static, some ambient noise to make this or that sample dramatic...). The autotuned vocal samples throughout make me cringe..

That being said!!! I'm very very happy you've found some sort of connection with it. I hope it helps you through this tough time and that your "tough time" is very short...

Takes a lot of courage to even address gender topics...

Godspeed

I really don't get people picking on the production values. That stick is overcompressed. That bass could have done with a 12 dB roll off at 68.3Hz. I find his placing of pieces so natural and honest, and emotionally so far above the pristine workery of more technically correct producers that it's ridiculous to pick on stuff like that. It melds together so well as a cloud of voices that all that irrelevant to me.

Anyway, I love this EP - he's shown a whole new side to himself and still made it work within his world. love it love it love it

Beautiful is definitely the word.

Also interesting how music can be synchronous for some. Truant/Rough Sleeper dropped immediately after the death of a close family member, and the catharsis of the melancholy of Truant with the warm embrace of Rough Sleeper helped me through that time in a very real way. It's magical when music can do that.

Archived