IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

Spenser Holland demands justice

Well, he's actually quite right. The quality of the rip we got is far from pristine and high. In particular the first to tracks contain loads of surface noise. Some extra mastering / post production would have been good. I expected better than that.

Best new limited edition vinyl digital release: 8.5 in Pitchfork tomorrow!

Damn, was actually pretty close!

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19574-aphex-twin-caustic-window/

I nearly fell asleep during the introduction of this review. And what is this "In addition to functional dance music..." and "neo-trip-hop “Jazzphase”"? Neo-Trip-Hop in 1994?

Let's keep it short and simple: http://www.hhv-mag.com/de/review/6667/caustic-window-caustic-window-lp

Well, he's actually quite right. The quality of the rip we got is far from pristine and high. In particular the first to tracks contain loads of surface noise. Some extra mastering / post production would have been good. I expected better than that.

Who's to say the original DATs weren't full of noise and compression issues ? Bear in mind they were sent to Rephlex for their approval before being released

Who's to say the original DATs weren't full of noise and compression issues ? Bear in mind they were sent to Rephlex for their approval before being released

Well, of course we don't know that, do we? But it could also be that the vinyl copy was only VG in condition, so a better outcome wasn't possible.

Nonetheless, I expected better quality from the offering / advertisement we got.

Btw, I still love the album and appreciate Joyrex's efforts in getting it started.

This is most likely the case, seeing how all the older AFX albums were delivered. There's even a picture of a collection of DAT's that ZoeB recently posted here that I think contained one of the CAT023 tracks, dating from the very early 90's (maybe late 80's).

If you are this disturbed by surface noise on a 20 year old Caustic Window record (you know, the most raw and abrasive project by RDJ) you seriously need to reconsider your taste in music and just go buy German minimal techhouse records :emotawesomepm9:

But besides the whole audiophile discussion, wasn't it decided to leave the CWLP without post-production because they wanted the rip to be exactly like how it would sound on a turntable? That was also what was communicated by Joyrex if I'm not mistaken. And even more important: RDJ approved this rip.

This is most likely the case, seeing how all the older AFX albums were delivered. There's even a picture of a collection of DAT's that ZoeB recently posted here that I think contained one of the CAT023 tracks, dating from the very early 90's (maybe late 80's).

If you are this disturbed by surface noise on a 20 year old Caustic Window record (you know, the most raw and abrasive project by RDJ) you seriously need to reconsider your taste in music and just go buy German minimal techhouse records :emotawesomepm9:

But besides the whole audiophile discussion, wasn't it decided to leave the CWLP without post-production because they wanted the rip to be exactly like how it would sound on a turntable? That was also what was communicated by Joyrex if I'm not mistaken. And even more important: RDJ approved this rip.

I hate German Minimal Techhouse. Could never be arsed about it. So my taste it not to be discussed here.

Again, some of you are missing the point - we were authorized to do a semi-legitimate bootleg from the vinyl - this is not a studio release in no way, shape, or form. The tracks were purposely left untouched (even Grant insisted on that) so if fans wanted to clean things up themselves for their own personal use, they would have raw, straight from the vinyl copies to work from.

This guy will never get approval from Rephlex for distro rights, so he's wasting his time and more importantly, people's money. Richard's not interested in money - had that been the case, Rephlex would have turned around and released CAT023 in an official capacity due to the demand.

Also, the MFM and ABB5 are sold, so good luck on getting those!

When Richard D. James released 2001’s Drukqs, the last proper Aphex Twin album, it was considered a massive disappointment.

LOL fuck right off Pitchfork

It was though, outside of diehard fans - it was really divisive among critics and a had a lot of lukewarm reviews overall when it was released.

TBH it's not my fav and not an album I play often start to finish, as much as I think some of the tracks are technically and artistically amazing.

This. My god that historical and technical context is completely absent when it comes to most of those who complain. During that whole Old Tunes ebay debacle last year there were perpetual comments of the "derp derp cassette rips are dumb, there are master tapes somewhere." People have no fucking clue how essential DATs and cassettes were to electronic producers back then, they automatically assume some professional studio 2 in tape or 96/24 bit master exists. ASSUMING THE ORIGINAL MASTERS EVEN EXIST!

Hell I'd be letdown if it was super pristine.

that kickstarter is retarded on so many levels. who is this person, how and why do they think they can get access to all 3 of those vinyls, and why don't they tell us what their supposed connections are and how they think they can pull it off? why 75,000? there just seems to be 0 assurance that this goal is even possible, even if the 75,000 were obtained, and i reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally don't see that happening considering that this person is giving zero info, seems to have zero credentials, and no explanation why it would require that much money. as it is, it's really a joke and imo not even worth the time i spent typing this much.

as far as the quality of the rip, in my opinion it's about as good as should have been expected. especially considering the material. the caustic window compilation (cd) is full of stuff that has varying levels of quality and is usually fairly raw and rough sounding, and i always took that to be part of the sound. but most of his other stuff from the early days was like that too. i mean yeah this has that added layer of vinyl sound over the probably already rough masters, but so what? it suits the material 100%. i like to think of that as being part of the official release, and yeah the fact that rich checked it out and ok'd it makes that the case whether some nitwit likes it or not. its pretty arbitrary with this kind of material to say 'ok yeah its gritty material in the first place but this extra layer of vinyl sound ruins it and needs to be minimized as much as humanly possible and since im a freak who obsesses over minute meaningless details im really never going to be happy with any rip ever anyway so why is anyone listening to my opinion at all'

its like christ, just listen to the damn thing or dont

What? What is this shit? Did they leave Rephlex? I understand their purpose but it is just an excuse to raise the dough. Because they do not have permission and rights belong to whom?

Finally, this is what I think ...

I first need to get this project off the ground FAST; I need to have some proof that enough people are interested in making this happen that I can pull strings and make deals (getting the rights to all three releases to have them digitally distributed and managing to raise enough money to actually buy the records). Another risk is that we might miss the auction(s) based off of how much money we've raised and the fact that the Caustic Window LP is the only one that has been put back up for sale.

So basically, give me 75k, and I MIGHT be able to give you high quality digital files of the three releases.