IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In short, in my opinion CWLP is one of his best works

95627078.gif

Yeah, I was expecting that reaction... One of his best does not mean top 3, more like top 10-ish.

It's no match for ICBYD or Drukqs, but I think it competes quite well against against most of RDJ album and SAW 1. It just deserves a better quality.

My view might be distorted by how excited I am to be able to listen to this in the first place, though. ;)

The more this album grows on me the less I actually care about a new afx release. The guy has already released so much good music throughout his career, I sometimes feel it would be greedy to ask for more. It took me like 4 years to listen to most of the tracks available to the public and some of them I wouldn't even recognize anymore, because there are just so many...

So, because he's made so much great music, you don't care if he doesn't release new stuff...? I don't understand this reasoning to be honest. "I don't need more great music." Does not compute

The more this album grows on me the less I actually care about a new afx release. The guy has already released so much good music throughout his career, I sometimes feel it would be greedy to ask for more. It took me like 4 years to listen to most of the tracks available to the public and some of them I wouldn't even recognize anymore, because there are just so many...

So, because he's made so much great music, you don't care if he doesn't release new stuff...? I don't understand this reasoning to be honest. "I don't need more great music." Does not compute

Jeez, just trying to be grateful, that's all. There's nothing I would be more excited about than new material, it's just that I don't /need/ it, because every time I dig through his discography I can find something new, unnoticed before.

Guest Akiak

At first I was scared that the tracks we knew were on the LP would be the only good ones, but now they're actually my last favorite...

Fingertrips is amazing, that part at 1:30 :music:

Fluety, Squidge in the fridge, Airflow and Revpok are also pretty neat.

Mumbly isn't bad, but a bit overrated in my opinion.

In short, in my opinion CWLP is one of his best works and it was absolutely worth the money. :emotawesomepm9:

don't forget fingry!

I like this more than RDJ album for sure.

Yeah this doesn't have On The Romance Tip or Pidgeon Street or Cordialitron, but the variety makes it a more interesting listen than the other caustic window. There's some real caveman 'phex on here and some lush'phex

contentious now but i dont get why so many people are liking my least favourite track so far which is 101 rainbows. it doesnt sound like aphex to me, its too ordinary and the title is even pretty lame. no detuning or anything. could be on some platipus records compilation.

fingertrips is one of my favourites at the moment and even quite liking jazzphase which some other folk (just to annoy that other post :) ) have said they dont like. i like it for the gak style sound, sure the beat is very similar if not identical to one of the official gak tracks i did have to sort out that horrid glitch in jazzphase though towards the beginning

overall a really great release, lots of aphex nostalgia and variety

thanks again to all who sorted for us to hear this

Guest Akiak

contentious now but i dont get why so many people are liking my least favourite track so far which is 101 rainbows. it doesnt sound like aphex to me, its too ordinary and the title is even pretty lame. no detuning or anything. could be on some platipus records compilation.

fingertrips is one of my favourites at the moment and even quite liking jazzphase which some other folk (just to annoy that other post :) ) have said they dont like. i like it for the gak style sound, sure the beat is very similar if not identical to one of the official gak tracks i did have to sort out that horrid glitch in jazzphase though towards the beginning

I feel the same way about 101 rainbows.. I think it's very early aphex, it feels like the kind of track you make with a clear intention of making an ambient track. It doesn't have that beautiful/lush mood, it has more of a "this is ambient" mood, typical of non-aphex "ambient" artists (eno etc.)

I feel the same way about 101 rainbows.. I think it's very early aphex, it feels like the kind of track you make with a clear intention of making an ambient track. It doesn't have that beautiful/lush mood, it has more of a "this is ambient" mood, typical of non-aphex "ambient" artists (eno etc.)

Afx has 2 types of ambient in my opinion... SAW1 style tracks, which are just ambient by their nature, and SAW2 style tracks, which are him trying to make ambient music, if that makes any sense... 101 rainbows kind of falls into the latter category, for me.

Edited by StephenG

And i'm pissed off that AFX Tribal Kiks stops after a minute because that tune was going places. WTF?!!

I have a feeling it was created with the sole intent of being remixed and looped live. It's very bare. Even the title makes it sound like it was supposed to be a tool for live performances.

I was thinking of clobbering an extended mix together myself, there are just enough elements to put together a longer floor-stomping beast.

guys, just listen to Quoth

Listened to Quoth EP today, similar beat tempo to Kiks but it just doesn't have the same donk on it

was just thinking... wouldnt it be cool with a similar kickstarter for some of the archived james stinson material? not that it's feasible, but one can dream.

ill be honest. my initial reaction to this album was like all my first reactions to an expected release from Richard. Sadness and disappointment. I expect one thing and get something else entirely. My expectations cloud my appreciation for a bit. After a few listens i really love it now for its own unique stamp.

ill be honest. my initial reaction to this album was like all my first reactions to an expected release from Richard. Sadness and disappointment. I expect one thing and get something else entirely. My expectations cloud my appreciation for a bit. After a few listens i really love it now for its own unique stamp.

lmao what. at 3:33 in flutey i was already head over heels in love.

Guest bitroast

lmao what. at 3:33 in flutey i was already head over heels in love.

Fluteys a weird opener.

It starts off pretty bare bones and can pretty easily give the wrong impression of being a throwaway shitty track. Which in itself will give the wrong impression and not doing the preconception of this being an unreleased throwaway album any favours.

But give the song a couple of minutes (3:33 to be exact, maybe?) and the song comes together and opens up to be something rather excellent and lovely.

The album LP sort of reminds me of AB4, only without the screaming. Has the same sort of harshness/lushness/goofiness extended out to album length.

I have to confess that since I currently don't have a computer i didn't buy this and have not heard it.

fml

I think this warrants a compulsory purchase of a $2000 MacBook Pro. New aphex brah

Well, I was never promised any "surprises" per se - that was a bit of Joyrexian Hype™ on my part :emotawesomepm9:

:cerious:

I call bullshit, I'm extremely grateful for what you've done Joyrex it's fucking awesome but me thinks that you did expect something additional but it did not actually arrive

Well, I was never promised any "surprises" per se - that was a bit of Joyrexian Hype™ on my part :emotawesomepm9:

:cerious:

I call bullshit, I'm extremely grateful for what you've done Joyrex it's fucking awesome but me thinks that you did expect something additional but it did not actually arrive

Well, of course - I always hold hope that something awesome and unexpected would happen, and it did - Richard didn't have to bother giving the track titles, did he? I'm personally grateful so I don't have to bear idiots making up track names...