IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

to (mis) quote elvis costello, aphex must be the opposite of Morrissey : fantastic music, terrible track titles, i dont know how you guys do remember those insane tracks titles..

copy/paste :P

Guys... there's one obsessive, autistic, pedantic factor of the album that we have not murdered eachother over yet:

How the hell do you tag the tracks?

On discogs and http://www.freedb.org/ it looks like "Syro U473t8+e (Piezoluminescence Mix)"

But on the official download from Bleep it looks like "syro u473t8+e [141.98][piezoluminescence mix]"

I mean, what gives? On the album the BPM is listed behind the tracks, but Bleep put it right in the middle? Should that even be there? Is Bleep taking liberties with the tagging, or is it exactely as Aphex intended? Do you have to use [] or ()? Should the mixes be in () and the BPM behind the tracks in [] ?

I need to know this! And don't give me that "who cares it doesnt matter stfu" shit.

*foams at mouth*

*rocks back and forth in foetal position on the floor*

minipops 67 [120.2][source field mix]

flutey a1-caustic window LP [cat 023]

don't touch the tags

-someone with obsessive compulsive disorder

4 bit 9d api+e+6

i.simply.can't.stop

Only thing that annoys me is the way that synth that rolls in at 2:09 pitch shifts.

And that it repeats at 4:00.

Lovin it otherwise!

middle part is so lush it makes me happy

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, but I love how

"Purchase of Caustic Window download codes for Warp Staff and contacts ... 0.00124 pounds"

is listed near the bottom of the actual artwork. There you go, WATMM: you have made a mark on the physical release of your God's latest release. That's pretty fucking cool.

It was 528USD WARP paid for the downloads (33 copies) - Richard mentioned in an interview he didn't realise that was included in the artwork and wasn't sure if that should be in there (considering it had nothing to do with SYRO).

So, going by the USD/GBP exchange rate around April 10th, taking the total cost of the item and the per-unit cost given on the cover (and rounding off ever-so-slightly), that means the design was created based on projected sales of Syro of..

A quarter of a million copies, by the look of it.

That also means that Warp paid exactly 5 quid for "Croissants for DAZED & CONFUSED listening"

That's not an unreasonable price for croissants, I suppose.

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, but I love how

"Purchase of Caustic Window download codes for Warp Staff and contacts ... 0.00124 pounds"

is listed near the bottom of the actual artwork. There you go, WATMM: you have made a mark on the physical release of your God's latest release. That's pretty fucking cool.

It was 528USD WARP paid for the downloads (33 copies) - Richard mentioned in an interview he didn't realise that was included in the artwork and wasn't sure if that should be in there (considering it had nothing to do with SYRO).

So, going by the USD/GBP exchange rate around April 10th, taking the total cost of the item and the per-unit cost given on the cover (and rounding off ever-so-slightly), that means the design was created based on projected sales of Syro of..

A quarter of a million copies, by the look of it.

That also means that Warp paid exactly 5 quid for "Croissants for DAZED & CONFUSED listening"

That's not an unreasonable price for croissants, I suppose.

*Applauds*

Nice work sir, seems legit. I was already hoping this would be figured out pretty quick!

got my blerp vinylz today (Monday) in flyover nowheresville midwest usa

DAMN!!!

I'm not pre-ordering from Bleep again. I live in LOS FUCKING ANGELES and my package tracking says…

• "Expected Delivery Day: Thursday, September 25, 2014"

suicide.gif

That's what I get for pre-ordering the instant it goes live.

If it doesn't come with crazy swag, I'm gonna raise hell.

I pre-ordered about 10 hours after you, I live in LA, and mine is supposedly out for delivery today. It's being shipped via UPS Ground and the tracking originated in Ypsilanti, Michigan. I dunno wtf

DAMN!!!

I'm not pre-ordering from Bleep again. I live in LOS FUCKING ANGELES and my package tracking says…

suicide.gif

I pre-ordered about 10 hours after you, I live in LA, and mine is supposedly out for delivery today. It's being shipped via UPS Ground and the tracking originated in Ypsilanti, Michigan. I dunno wtf

ypsi, Mi. that's an interesting spot for shipment origination. Lotta drugs up in that town, so maybe makes sense.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Guys... there's one obsessive, autistic, pedantic factor of the album that we have not murdered eachother over yet:

How the hell do you tag the tracks?

On discogs and http://www.freedb.org/ it looks like "Syro U473t8+e (Piezoluminescence Mix)"

But on the official download from Bleep it looks like "syro u473t8+e [141.98][piezoluminescence mix]"

I mean, what gives? On the album the BPM is listed behind the tracks, but Bleep put it right in the middle? Should that even be there? Is Bleep taking liberties with the tagging, or is it exactely as Aphex intended? Do you have to use [] or ()? Should the mixes be in () and the BPM behind the tracks in [] ?

I need to know this! And don't give me that "who cares it doesnt matter stfu" shit.

*foams at mouth*

*rocks back and forth in foetal position on the floor*

minipops 67 [120.2][source field mix]

flutey a1-caustic window LP [cat 023]

don't touch the tags

-someone with obsessive compulsive disorder

Yeah I'm pretty ocd about stupid shit like this too but I'm leaving the tags as they are. It's how they came from Bleep, it's how they are shown on the Warp website, it's how Zane Lowe read out Minipops when he had the world exclusive first play. It's unconventional but it's as it was intended. My usual rule is to keep the tags faithful to how they appear on the CD case but with this tDR have tweaked the format to keep the aesthetic of the list. The Discogs listing is just wrong, ignore

Sitting at #1 in the US on iTunes and Amazon electronic/dance charts.

Sitting at #11 iTunes and #8 Amazon overall. *digital only

Somewhat surprised by the performance in the US, but I'm definitely seeing a lot of people on my feed digging it who got into electronic music post "EDM".

DAMN!!!

suicide.gif

ypsi, Mi. that's an interesting spot for shipment origination. Lotta drugs up in that town, so maybe makes sense.

Update: I just got two, count 'em, two, new dispatch notices from Bleep saying my order of Syro Vinyl has just been dispatched today, even though it's currently on the UPS truck for delivery, and I got the shipment notification for today's delivery last week.

Dunno if I'm getting three vinyl Syros now or what, but uh....

Bleep pls

Edited by baph

richard needs to learn the difference between your and you're

Youre're' right!

You still took him to task though. Thoroughly enjoyable read. After I posted my little response to his "review" I realized I was way to nice. The guy is ridiculously bitter. He was just being reactionary to some of us praising an album he doesn't like and then needlessly infers die-hard fans are low lives??? Yeah.. Great review.

I think, context aside, the music speaks for itself. Saying it's dull, emotionless, cold etc is the opinion of someone without much experience of electronic music (which, I guess, would mostly sound like that if you weren't used to it). Everyone I know who's heard this album - and has an understanding of electronic music - has praised its warmth and creativity.

Definitely just a reactionary stab at RDJ and this forum for presenting differing views.

What the fuck? Everyone who has an understanding of electronic music likes this album?

Why can't you shut up and accept that some people don't like it? This elitism is getting ridiculous.

Seeing creativity is not the same as having fun while listening to it.

I said everyone I know who likes electronic music has praised it! I can understand why people don't like it, I just think the reviewer I was referring to didn't constructive criticise the album (as others have said). He was just flaming it and RDJ fans.