IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

That's not a review. That's a very long piece about anything but the album. Blimps, other albums, fanboys and three tracks you like. You based your judgement on the way you didn't like the music, but you actually forgot to review the music. OK, except for the closer. That's the only part where I got the sense you actually tried to listen to the music and tried to make sense of it, regardless of your personal taste. Wow, I'd almost think you'd know how to review an album. Too bad you forgot to listen to the rest of the stuff you didn't like.

Here's a tip: there's a difference between not liking music but respecting it, and just not have any respect for the music whatsoever. If you can't respect the music you're trying to review, you shouldn't review it. Next time, try to respect the music, even if you don't like it.

Here’s my thoughts, probably won’t go down so well on a forum full of Aphex fans but there are people who perhaps can appreciate a review without making personal attacks. We’ll see.

Some caveats:

• Firstly, if you are an utter fan-boy, probably best you don’t read it.

• Secondly, I switched off comments because I know there are some who just will not be able to resist the urge. It’s just a review. Nothing more. So don’t make it more.

• Third and finally, anything anyone negatively writes on the internet isn’t going to tarnish the reputation of Aphex Twin. His place in electronic music is secure. We all know that.

I would not have wasted my time writing up a review of someone whose music I didn’t genuinely admire.

http://www.jasonnewton.net/blog/2014/9/21/aphex-twin-syro-warp-records

Its a good read actually. I agree with a lot of your points but still overall really enjoy the album.. (like the lack of repetition in the melodies, It does keep me coming back for more for example and I think he does it well) The only part I take issue with is the bit about obsessed forum people posting in their underwear in their rented apartments (oh my! low blow!). I'm usually fully nude and I own my place. In fact, I make sure to strip bare before posting anything here.

I thought it was a good review opinion piece as well (I'll reserve my own opinions on SYRO), and I agree that there was no reason to take as many pot-shots at fans - there are plenty of fans who are die-hard Aphex Twin fans who don't fit the description, let alone behaviour patterns inferred in the opinion piece.

Yes, opinion piece - it's more your opinion of what SYRO and Richard's music has become versus the actual songs on the album.

That's not a review. That's a very long piece about anything but the album. Blimps, other albums, fanboys and three tracks you like. You based your judgement on the way you didn't like the music, but you actually forgot to review the music. OK, except for the closer. That's the only part where I got the sense you actually tried to listen to the music and tried to make sense of it, regardless of your personal taste. Wow, I'd almost think you'd know how to review an album. Too bad you forgot to listen to the rest of the stuff you didn't like.

Here's a tip: there's a difference between not liking music but respecting it, and just not have any respect for the music whatsoever. If you can't respect the music you're trying to review, you shouldn't review it. Next time, try to respect the music, even if you don't like it.

exactly! just as that first listening "reviews", where people talked about when they first heard afx, how they miss the old times, how it hes been doing, what their cat ate today and how much is the fish, and a couple of words in the end, like "album is ok not innovates". kinda boring to me, but it's just me...Im sure it'll be pleasant for someone to read!) thx anyway! good to have different views.

how me order the japanese cd me asks ?

You aren't trying hard enough. If you can read Japanese... here:

http://tower.jp/ec/shoppingbag/itemList.aspx

If you can't... here:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Aphex-Twin_000000000027270/item_Syro_5924849

And if you still can't, switch your iTunes to Japan.

AAAAnd if you still can't... I will send you an unopened copy for ¥20,000, or $200 USD.

Have a nice day. :emotawesomepm9:

I'll borrow something from the Funky Souls crew to readdress the balance, here's what all your Japanese editions are going to look like when they finally arrive:

ByIczSyCcAAL94L.jpg

Unconventional obi placement with the intention of not disturbing the main sleeve design. Good job, tDR.

Nice!

アフェックス・トウィン (in Katakana) - æfeks twɪn

Although they appear to have written SYRO differently:

シロー (in Katakana) - sɪrəʊ - on the package they use the "サ" character instead of "シ", and don't end it with "ー"

Get it right.

エイフェクス ツィン. EIFUeKUSU TSUIN.

サイロ. SAIRO.

Not,  シロー. 'SHIROoo'

Are you pronouncing the title of the album 'Shiro'? Lolfail.

i am amazed at how good syro sounds on my thinkpad w/ IE 80s

can't wait to listen at home... . . .

I'll borrow something from the Funky Souls crew to readdress the balance, here's what all your Japanese editions are going to look like when they finally arrive:

ByIczSyCcAAL94L.jpg

Unconventional obi placement with the intention of not disturbing the main sleeve design. Good job, tDR.

Nice!

アフェックス・トウィン (in Katakana) - æfeks twɪn

Although they appear to have written SYRO differently:

シロー (in Katakana) - sɪrəʊ - on the package they use the "サ" character instead of "シ", and don't end it with "ー"

Get it right.

エイフェクス ツィン. EIFUeKUSU TSUIN.

サイロ. SAIRO.

Not,  シロー. 'SHIROoo'

Are you pronouncing the title of the album 'Shiro'? Lolfail.

lmfao. you are an arrogant cunt.

Guest nick5745

Here’s my thoughts, probably won’t go down so well on a forum full of Aphex fans but there are people who perhaps can appreciate a review without making personal attacks. We’ll see.

Some caveats:

• Firstly, if you are an utter fan-boy, probably best you don’t read it.

• Secondly, I switched off comments because I know there are some who just will not be able to resist the urge. It’s just a review. Nothing more. So don’t make it more.

• Third and finally, anything anyone negatively writes on the internet isn’t going to tarnish the reputation of Aphex Twin. His place in electronic music is secure. We all know that.

I would not have wasted my time writing up a review of someone whose music I didn’t genuinely admire.

http://www.jasonnewton.net/blog/2014/9/21/aphex-twin-syro-warp-records

"2013 sees the release of Syro with its blimp floating over London"

2013? If you want to be taken seriously, you should probably proof read your posts.

"The rest is mostly devoid of any real melody, lots of random bleeps and noises, clever programming and yet cold and emotionless."

This is fumi's review in one line for those who haven't read it. Devoid of real melody? His most melodic album to date. Lots of random bleeps and noises? There is nothing "random" about this album, it's all calculated down to the last detail. What seems random to you is not random in itself you know? It's like telling Stanislav Smirnov that his percolation theory is random because you don't get it. Clever programming? Yep. Cold and emotionless? It's such a warm album, very organic, spontaneous, dynamic, with a feel-good vibe. You love his 90's stuff? You should love his 2014 stuff around 2034. :) Syro is just ahead of your taste in music.

I actually learnt how to pronounce "Aphex Twin" in Tokyo. I used to pronounce it "aahfex", but then my friend corrected me over the phone, and then I checked the Japanese katakana for pronunciation. This was 1998 or so.

Sometimes Japanese natives speak other languages with ridiculous Japanese accents, but katakana has been quite good for me, for learning pronunciation of non-English words. Japanese tend to stick with the original pronunciation, then turn it into katakana. None of this "Care-eeh-oh-key" nonsense, if you get what I'm sezzin'.

Also: Electronic underground pandemonium.

"The rest is mostly devoid of any real melody, lots of random bleeps and noises, clever programming and yet cold and emotionless."

This is fumi's review in one line for those who haven't read it. Devoid of real melody? His most melodic album to date. Lots of random bleeps and noises? There is nothing "random" about this album, it's all calculated down to the last detail. What seems random to you is not random in itself you know? It's like telling Stanislav Smirnov that his percolation theory is random because you don't get it. Clever programming? Yep. Cold and emotionless? It's such a warm album, very organic, spontaneous, dynamic, with a feel-good vibe. You love his 90's stuff? You should love his 2014 stuff around 2034. :) Syro is just ahead of your taste in music.

give this man free EKT account!

REALLY LOVING SYRO. and the Japan Only is maybe my favourite on the album (but maybe it should go before Aisatsana?) I really feel that track is the perfect closer.

Now, what's that drop card do?

Just looking over that list of gear used and imagining trying to configure that lot into a working studio. It's quite incredible.
How many people could approach a set up like that and have any idea how to get anything more than a dry fart out of it? A lot of it is incredibly tedious to work with. Top quality gear but you need to know your fucking shit. The fact that he can bring that gear together into something that sounds as amazing as syro is really astonishing. The guy is a fucking monster from another planet. Reading some of the criticisms makes me sick.

Just looking over that list of gear used and imagining trying to configure that lot into a working studio. It's quite incredible.

How many people could approach a set up like that and have any idea how to get anything more than a dry fart out of it? A lot of it is incredibly tedious to work with. Top quality gear but you need to know your fucking shit. The fact that he can bring that gear together into something that sounds as amazing as syro is really astonishing. The guy is a fucking monster from another planet. Reading some of the criticisms makes me sick.

The first 5 seconds of the Japan bonus track sort of resemble dry farts. Maybe that was his way of saying "this is what it actually sounds like, before I get a hold of it" :emb:

Guest bitroast

This album is fucking awesome!!!

That is all...

Agreed!

~Think im going to stay out of this thread a while. way too much negativity and fighting :)

not a great album at all imo. not that i care because i expected it to be so.

some moments are nice, some elements are fun or interesting but the tracks don't do much to me. sounds uninspired and uninspiring. most harmonies are rather poor, the beats are too rigid and linear for my taste, the whole stuff lacks groove and feeling. on a positive note, some stuff is reminiscent of ceephax, luke vibert, luke eargoggle, which is fun. favourite tracks: 3, 5, 7.

can't wait to hear the next albums! hopefully they will sound more interesting to my ears