IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

*from a comic book fan friend of mine* The writer for many batman comics tweeted the following: 'drafting the the 'insert batman comicbook name here' while listing to Syro. Love it. Don't be surprised if Gotham gets a little more 4 bit 9d api+e+6

just got mine today from bleep, several sticker things and bag, it came in a plastic clear case thinh with his face engraved on it.

surely a mistake, its not what i ordered, ah well, gotta love bleep for happy mistakes.

I highly doubt they would accidentally send out a limited to 200 special edition that you had to win the opportunity to even buy.

So I've listened through the album about 10 times now or so, my only complaints are that Metz is a little less bombastic than what I was thinking it could sound like. I kinda wish it was sped up a hair and that it may have been mastered a bit different.

Second complaint is that Singapore (PAPAT) has some fuzzy tapping background noise during the wobbly chord parts which I can't un-hear. I initially thought it was only the leak I downloaded but it's still present in my Blerp downloads

Other than that, this album is a solid 10/10 for me. Piezoluminescence is my favorite track for sure. I'm also very happy the bonus track isn't a pisstake but one of my favorites, especially the ending

One question regarding those [XYZ mix] we see on this and many other albums: does that mean that he actually creates truly different mixes of his tracks and chooses one of them when he releases an album? Or is it just a nice way to add some more funky words to a track title? I know there's the Ventolin EP with six mixes of the original Ventolin, but these are clearly unrelated to oneanother, so he probably doesn't take that too seriously.

on that note, as "Radiator" from SAWII was later released on 26 mixes with beats and called "original mix" did maybe more of SAWII originally get created with full on beats, that he stripped away for the Ambientness... is there perhaps a "Not so Ambient works II" somewhere in Richard's files?

got my 2 vinyls (edit: at kakapo's request I have changed this abomination of a word to the following....) RECORDS today. =)

2 vinyls RECORDS for $105CAD and what do I get as a bonus?

1 sticker.

thanks blerpwarp

ah well, at least I got something

Edited by StephenG

Guest cult fiction

YELLOW, on 23 Sept 2014 - 2:31 PM, said:

Second complaint is that Singapore (PAPAT) has some fuzzy tapping background noise during the wobbly chord parts which I can't un-hear. I initially thought it was only the leak I downloaded but it's still present in my Blerp downloads

I love the fuzzy tapping, sounds like potential energy to me

quite raw

One question regarding those [XYZ mix] we see on this and many other albums: does that mean that he actually creates truly different mixes of his tracks and chooses one of them when he releases an album? Or is it just a nice way to add some more funky words to a track title? I know there's the Ventolin EP with six mixes of the original Ventolin, but these are clearly unrelated to oneanother, so he probably doesn't take that too seriously.

on that note, as "Radiator" from SAWII was later released on 26 mixes with beats and called "original mix" did maybe more of SAWII originally get created with full on beats, that he stripped away for the Ambientness... is there perhaps a "Not so Ambient works II" somewhere in Richard's files?

If you look through his catalogue of released material, he's had "mixes" or "edits" or "remixes" of tracks since the beginning. The MFM leak and the unreleased track tape (aka the "Joyrex" tape, urgh) have similar versions of released tracks, so I reckon he keeps track of his variations by calling them as such.

When making tracks I tend to append words for versions that take the original in a different direction and numbers for refinements of those directions.

I feel sure those are straight names of the files from his computers, it fits with the "raw process" theme of the syro artwork and aesthetic.

yeah I believe Aphex Twin gave it to WARP, with the comment "if you want to find names I don't" ...

Somehow I believe that he trusted in WARP marketing, maybe even the TOR thing wasn't done by him. that said, where is the VIDEO for MTV, SYRO is already a huge success, where the fuck is cunningham when you need him?
h i s t o r y - r e p e a t s!

Edited by randomAmateur

Guest HokusPoker

@Hodorsbn Possible, yes

Interesting that XMAS_EVET10, the CIRCLONTs and PAPAT are written in capital letters.

Edited by HokusPoker

Well, after the first thorough listen on headphones, I have to say that I really like this release.

I was getting scared after the first two tracks, cos they were not getting me (well, minipops I listened to like a 100 times so it was understandable, but the second track I didn't got it at first listen).

After track 3 and on, well, the record starts there for me. Lots of funkiness which I like very much. I don't get reviews that speak about "not breaking new ground"... what the fucs! It seems like they did not listen to the album. The mix of new and old style it's mesmerizing, and it's someone who knows what he's doing that it's at work. So, what they do complain about? They probably can't tell a good record from a chicken.

I also really like the general dirty vibe of the tracks: they are polished and raw at the same time. At times I can hear distortion, but, as for any other aphex record, it feels to me like it was intentional, so welcome distortion.

The only minor thing about the piano track is that the chirpy sounds of birds in the background together with the opening arpeggio made me immediately think about the arpeggio which opens possibly maybe by bjork. I hadn't realized the similarity before hearing it in those at the barbican videos. Now it seems that it will take a while to unheard that and to properly enjoy the closing track.

p.s. I bought it from a record store: I like the idea of phisically going to a place to find it. But I reckon that it has to be difficult for those who live in a small city. Most of the record stores have closed here, and I live in a big city.

Edited by pierlu

The white noise all over this record is interesting. Is that down to using all that analog gear? It doesn't particularly bother me, it's just interesting....

I must say, I still find the first three tracks head and shoulders above all the rest. The first two are already possibly two of my favourite Aphex tracks ever... I am addicted to them. I am lucky in that i didn't listen to them before getting the album.

The rest are funky, but are a bit minimal, bare and kitschy to me. Can't seem to connect very much to them.

Edited by Lianne