IGNORED

Clark - Clark (Nov. 3rd 2014)

lawrenke

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest trananhhung

I got it from my iTunes preorder, which I know regret immensely. I'm tired of regretting preorders. This is the turning point. I'm not falling on that one ever again.

It's called the grit in the pearl.

I will call it the girl with the pearl earring.

Guest trananhhung

And it's funny that bibio was all mental saying that this album was going to be the only interesting release this year precisely at the time syro was coming out. That was some major trolling. I feel that although Clark wouldn't exist without afx music being around he hates the relevance Richard still has. He probably feels he's still being compared. And that's why he's coming up with his Jon Hopkins inspired dance music. I'm sorry Clark but if these are the best tracks on your album, Syro completely crushes you this year. Go back to your irrelevant dance reverbed textures being equalised for two minutes with no sense of direction and dynamics. His music is becoming a parody. It's all about layers of effects on top of very bland composition, kind of to hide the fact that the songs are lazy. It's all panning, filtering, grain and sparkling dust. Syro is about amazing proper dry tracks.

still love the uniqueness of his synth textures

still love the energy and tension of his tracks

but god damn do i miss the good old days when that suspense actually culminated in something interesting

where is the filthy/crunchy/fucked up clark

where he go

:cry:

I really like these new dancey tracks. Much more so than his iradelphic era output, now that was some boring meandering stuff...

I really like these new dancey tracks. Much more so than his iradelphic era output, now that was some boring meandering stuff...

Agreed, I'll take dancey over Iradelphic stuff. I'm skipping previewing Unfurla until the full release

anyone found a stream for "grit in the pearl"? come on...

The machines hold their own against nature: ‘Banjo’ is a straight up MPC/synth funk jam played over three notes, the hypnotic arpeggios of ‘Unfurla’ are underpinned by a solid 4/4 kick drum, peak-rave euphoria is captured in ‘There’s a Distance In You’. At its essence ‘Grit In The Pearl’ is more Berghain than Guggenheim – a club banger, albeit in a parallel dimension filtered through the ‘Clark’ lens, lending new context to its spiralling rave chords.

http://www.littlebig-agency.net/blog/clark-reveals-upcoming-lp-on-warp-records/

Also nice read: http://www.theskinny.co.uk/clubs/features/309143-clark_i_wanted_this_album_be_monolithic_vast

Edit: I listen to a lot of UK bass and good Berlin club music. Actually more than I listen to IDM. But I'm probably not the typical member here.

Thanks man, it's on spotify.

Imo this has nothing to do with Hopkins (who is a great musician, isn't he?).

It's way more pounding and the synths are way more interesting (though they sound like the ones from unfurla and too natural for my clark taste). Don't know what I think of it yet. Unfurla was a grower, so...3'00 is a genius moment.

The thing with hiding weak melodies and content behind a wall of fx... well... that's probably more true than I want it to be.

If you read the interview I posted above you will understand that he composed this LP within 4 months and mostly the computer. So this was a total different approach to a LP than everything he did before.

I don't have spotify nor an itunes preorder :c

If you read the interview I posted above you will understand that he composed this LP within 4 months and mostly the computer. So this was a total different approach to a LP than everything he did before.

But if this track is on the album (and it better damn well be),

That he's been playing since around 2010.

But if this track is on the album (and it better damn well be),

Yeah and this new track just got me a little bit worried about that. It sounds nothing like his recent live shows.

EDIT: oh nvm, didn't read the interview either

The track is likeable, I guess. I pretty much have the same opinion as tokn : don't know what to think of it. The part starting at 3:00 is noice indeed, but that intro... wow... now that's some downer. Sounds like an erection trouble.

Guest trananhhung

It's just straight dance music, but drowned in too many fx to properly be played in a dance floor. I'm just disappointed because I used to love this guy. I loved turning dragon for instance and still think that was his high point. That album packed one hell of a punch. He just keeps repeating the same tricks but now the tracks are incredibly boring. I keep hearing them to try understand what he's doing. But nothing happens. Everything loops with the same variations in sound design he's been applying since body riddle. it's like a break up. I gave him a chance with iradelphic. But with this two tracks I'm returning the underwear he left last week.

you guys don't really listen to electronic music other than IDM, do you?

I just listened to Kate Bush Running up that Hill, so Beerwolf is exempt from all accusations.

you guys don't really listen to electronic music other than IDM, do you?

I just listened to Kate Bush Running up that Hill, so Beerwolf is exempt from all accusations.

And I just listened to a country album so whateva

Archived