IGNORED

Clark - Clark (Nov. 3rd 2014)

lawrenke

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as people love Clarence Park and ETBOY on here, I don't think Clark really came into his own until Body Riddle. ETBOY is good but it feels like a sketchbook loosely strung together. He managed to retain that organic/spontaneous feeling on Body Riddle but the compositions are more satisfying and, I dunno, intentional feeling. Body Riddle, Turning Dragon, and Totems Flare are so confident and singular and fun... increasingly fun, really. Thank you for the Compression Trilogy, Based Clark.

Based on those three releases, Clark did seem like a guy who could wing it for 40 seconds and edit together something unreasonably brilliant. Not sure if he's quite in that place anymore.

As much as I admire an artistic reinvention, all that magic just disappeared on Iradelphic; basically none of what made Clark interesting was on that album, which I know has been discussed at length. It wasn't so bad as to cast retroactive doubt on Clark's whole body of work (which is sadly what happened for me with Burial's Rival Dealer), but its priorities weren't, uh, in line with what I wanted to hear from Clark, fair or unfair as that might be.

All I'm really saying is I can't preorder you this time, Clark. You're a talented guy but I have a suspicion that we're after different things at this point, which is fine, but I'll check on that after this album's out in the wild. The two previewed tracks are definitely alright but not quite bringing anything to the table that challenges your old stuff as refinement or extrapolation or reinvention.

But I have hope that it all works in context and I'll be loving this shortly, because Iradelphic notwithstanding Clark knows, or at least knew, how to sequence a monstrous fucking album.

As much as people love Clarence Park and ETBOY on here, I don't think Clark really came into his own until Body Riddle. ETBOY is good but it feels like a sketchbook loosely strung together. He managed to retain that organic/spontaneous feeling on Body Riddle but the compositions are more satisfying and, I dunno, intentional feeling. Body Riddle, Turning Dragon, and Totems Flare are so confident and singular and fun... increasingly fun, really. Thank you for the Compression Trilogy, Based Clark.

Based on those three releases, Clark did seem like a guy who could wing it for 40 seconds and edit together something unreasonably brilliant. Not sure if he's quite in that place anymore.

As much as I admire an artistic reinvention, all that magic just disappeared on Iradelphic; basically none of what made Clark interesting was on that album, which I know has been discussed at length. It wasn't so bad as to cast retroactive doubt on Clark's whole body of work (which is sadly what happened for me with Burial's Rival Dealer), but its priorities weren't, uh, in line with what I wanted to hear from Clark, fair or unfair as that might be.

All I'm really saying is I can't preorder you this time, Clark. You're a talented guy but I have a suspicion that we're after different things at this point, which is fine, but I'll check on that after this album's out in the wild. The two previewed tracks are definitely alright but not quite bringing anything to the table that challenges your old stuff as refinement or extrapolation or reinvention.

But I have hope that it all works in context and I'll be loving this shortly, because Iradelphic notwithstanding Clark knows, or at least knew, how to sequence a monstrous fucking album.

nailed it. spot on.

nailed it. spot on.

+1

his best release will always be the remixes compilation

nailed it. spot on.

+1

yeah but rival dealer was reeally good

Clark wants to become famous and make money, so he had to simplify his music. That's fine, but artistically empty. He will lose his original fans and make a lot more along the way. It happens all the time in the music world.

Guest totemcrackerjack

Clark wants to become famous and make money, so he had to simplify his music. That's fine, but artistically empty. He will lose his original fans and make a lot more along the way. It happens all the time in the music world.

Holy assumptions Batman! Can you tell me what Chris thought of his breakfast while you're at it?

This so should be the official video

perfect

yeah but rival dealer was reeally good

i'll just respectfully disagree there and leave it at that :flower:

edit: oops, forgot how to type, stupid cold meds

and he would attempt that by making music that's not half as recognizable as his older stuff?? nah. i don't believe that's his goal, at least not consciously.

i believe he does all of this, including press photos, as a reminder for all of us, you and me, that one ought not to indulge in drugs, sleep deprivation or an unhealthy diet! get out of your wheelchairs, brothers! :cisfor:

Clark wants to become famous and make money

yeah nah

For example Growls Garden is a way better hit song than The Grit In The Pearl. Like, 10 times better. Crowd is always going full apeshit when he plays it live. And when I mean "crowd" I'm not talking about just his fans but even your typical club-goers. If he really wanted to be famous and rich, he'd simply develop the Totems Flare formula.

And I would be 100% okay with that.

fyi, that's just what you start to look like when you hit your mid 30s

edit: actually, you get a Mass Effect 2 power upgrade-style choice, and can either spend 4 points to get skinny and tired looking or become an ever-expanding gas ball (damage radius 4.00 meters); I chose the latter, natch,

edit: actually, you get a Mass Effect 2 power upgrade-style choice, and can either spend 4 points to get skinny and tired looking or become an ever-expanding gas ball (damage radius 4.00 meters); I chose the latter, natch,

fyi, i'm right there, looking & feeling better than ever. i'm serious!

even more seriously though: i don't think he does even look that bad, he probably chose the most rugged looking pictures to emphasize his seriousness! no rest for the wicked, ya know...

edit: he does have full hair. for that, i envy him! and for his amazing talent. :cerious:

ps. was that even directed at me?

fyi, i'm right there, looking & feeling better than ever. i'm serious!

even more seriously though: i don't think he does even look that bad, he probably chose the most rugged looking pictures to emphasize his seriousness! no rest for the wicked, ya know...

edit: he does have full hair. for that, i envy him! and for his amazing talent. :cerious:

ps. was that even directed at me?

nah, i was just joking

it's just moody, contrasty press photos innit

Qft. Was listening to this today and its absolutely flawless. So many great tunes, so much variety and really shows off Clark's skills in production.

Not listened to either of the new album previews yet, but if Clark is trying something more straightforward and club orientated then I respect that.

It may be the "Berlin effect". Those crazy Germans love their straight up 4/4 beats. He has been spending time with the Monkeytown and Modeselektor boys so its possibly all their doing.

Same thing happened with Tim Exile though, he moved to Berlin, left his gabba and relentless beats behind and now releases stuff for Leisure System.

I'm sure there'll be some non-4 on the floor tunes on here. (Like the one from gigs I'm obsessed about)

Wonder how soon it'll leak...

I wonder if warp is going to acknowledge it's presence? it's got about 3 weeks until release and they haven't done a thing except release the second track on soundcloud without a word.

oh and they announced a mini tour 5 days before it starts.

warp pls

I'm sure there'll be some non-4 on the floor tunes on here. (Like the one from gigs I'm obsessed about)

I wonder if warp is going to acknowledge it's presence? it's got about 3 weeks until release and they haven't done a thing except release the second track on soundcloud without a word.

warp pls

lol all the warp exec team is still blasted on hallucinogens and listening to syro.

too busy to hype up clark

Guest murphythecat8

the grit in the pearl. Damn, I thought he had hit the bottom with iradelphic.

what? not for me!

Guest totemcrackerjack

I rather like the two released tracks. And while Iradelphic was a great contrast to his earlier work, I thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

I rather like the two released tracks. And while Iradelphic was a great contrast to his earlier work, I thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

the size of your font seems to directly correlate to the popularity of your opinion. chin up, chap! :catsalute:

the size of your font seems to directly correlate to the popularity of your opinion. chin up, chap! :catsalute:

warp pls

lol all the warp exec team is still blasted on hallucinogens and listening to syro.

too busy to hype up clark

Well they're doing this now.

"Warp Records X Sonos at ADE

present:

'CLARK'

by CLARK

Free entry

Sonos Studio

16:00 - 19:00

Mayer Manor, Nes 118"

You know I'm with you! Also nice to see you where've you been?

Archived