IGNORED

Clark - Clark (Nov. 3rd 2014)

lawrenke

anyone found a stream for "grit in the pearl"? come on...

The machines hold their own against nature: ‘Banjo’ is a straight up MPC/synth funk jam played over three notes, the hypnotic arpeggios of ‘Unfurla’ are underpinned by a solid 4/4 kick drum, peak-rave euphoria is captured in ‘There’s a Distance In You’. At its essence ‘Grit In The Pearl’ is more Berghain than Guggenheim – a club banger, albeit in a parallel dimension filtered through the ‘Clark’ lens, lending new context to its spiralling rave chords.

http://www.littlebig-agency.net/blog/clark-reveals-upcoming-lp-on-warp-records/

Also nice read: http://www.theskinny.co.uk/clubs/features/309143-clark_i_wanted_this_album_be_monolithic_vast

Edit: I listen to a lot of UK bass and good Berlin club music. Actually more than I listen to IDM. But I'm probably not the typical member here.

aye, you're German though, your heartbeat surely runs to the sound of a 125 bpm kick drum at all times. (jk mate)

but country music and Kate Bush aren't really 'electronic music' innit?

seemed a bit funny to me seeing a ton of people shitting on the new Clark for being 'too repetitive' on an electronic music forum, or even comparing to Tiesto, lol ffs...just saying, music doesn't necessarily need to be complex to make it good.

but then, these are probably the same people who hated 180db too, and I've waited anxiously for that track to have been released for years soo.....carry on, horses for courses I s'pose. :emb:

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest trananhhung

I love 180db. It's the exact opposite of what Clark is doing recently. He tries to go for the techno sound but everything is so processed and drowned... There's no clarity. So he ends up with a non-dance techno track with the typical progressive design tricks we all already know. A few people have been saying that syro doesn't sound futuristic or edgy in terms of sound design. That's just because Richard actually leaves the machines breathe and doesn't strangle them with 100 filters. You can do it properly with original synthesis like plaid did on reachy. Or very mucky and messy and lazy like Clark is doing. Just an opinion. Of course I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But I'm also entitled to judge him based on the tracks chosen to be released as representative.

I guess his last live acts in boiler room didn't work out as expected as it was pretty much just random patterns without tension or concept and also didn't please the techno boiler room crowd so there you have it: him seeing people dancing to techno all night at berghain while he couldn't do it with his own live show so he starts adjusting .

I have seen this before with deadbeat who turned from smart dub to brainless by meeting the wrong influences

He should prepare his live acts using some kind of concept instead of losing faith in his songwriter abilities by replacing them with a shitty hands on approach supported by mediocre collabs

Time will tell. I still hope this lifts off cause he is very much capable of great production and songwriting

you guys don't really listen to electronic music other than IDM, do you?

I just listened to Kate Bush Running up that Hill, so Beerwolf is exempt from all accusations.

And I just listened to a country album so whateva

I'd really like to listen to that electronic country album you talk about

I love 180db

me too. it was the track i acutally enjoyed the most on first syro listen

ok i think we really should listen to the album before being more mean

Guest bitroast

Well Kate Bush's Running up that Hill has a Fairlight synth running through it, a country album has a banjo lol. So I win.

Anyway I digress

Kate Bush is pretty IDM imo

I love 180db

me too. it was the track i acutally enjoyed the most on first syro listen

ok i think we really should listen to the album before being more mean

Definitely, The Grit in the Pearl makes me abnormally puzzled but I'm sure not going to shit on this album in advance. I do worry about this track and Unfurla being the singles though...

where are you guys hearing the track?

It's only on Spotify for now, kind of a pain. Made me reinstall it :/

thanks =)

I'll wait for bleep or warp to give me a listen I guess, can't be bothered to install anything extra myself. =P

It's annoying that I preordered but I don't get the singles first, spotify just has them up for streaming.

Everytime I preorder I'm reminded of how pointless it is to do so...

but yet.....

we continue to do it!

me too. Makes me feel special (not in a good way lol)

you guys don't really listen to electronic music other than IDM, do you?

I just listened to Kate Bush Running up that Hill, so Beerwolf is exempt from all accusations.

And I just listened to a country album so whateva

I'd really like to listen to that electronic country album you talk about

http://youtu.be/krBdbZV5sy4

:cisfor:

you can use spotify via facebook without downloading anything but than it gets all your information. they probably have it already so...

yeah all the praise for this lp and then these two "singles" ... i'm worried as well

Guest iniquity blues

Wow new clark LP? So that guy who posted on 4chan way back in july/august about the new afx was right? He said that not only was there going to be a new aphex twin LP, but also a new clark LP.

that guy also said there's two new aphex LPs so i wonder if by the end of the year there's another "surprise" aphex twin LP. Hmmmm.

edit: here's a screenshot of the 4chan guy saying his sooth:

140843102777168.png

"This track was well weird to make, I made the first half of it in about 40 seconds and the end bit is edited down from about 1 hours worth of recording/improvisation. I hypnotised myself with it, couldn't stop listening to it. Part of me sort of wishes the whole album was just this improvised loop. Less is more sometimes though."

That explains the shitty intro lol

Archived