IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

The other quadraverb track is from last summer/fall.

Edit: And if tigercubdelay was indeed part of the "delay battle" with Autechre then 1998 makes perfect sense, as Drane2 is from 1998.

Edited by psn

Guest bitroast

Oo i thought tigercube was 95 or so ala lush acid and whatnot. 98 makes sense i guess sure. Haha.

Brilliant wake-up call again, 8 new tracks. I'll never get used to it :) currently rocking 24 ems-alias mgroove on repeat before listening to the others, fucking amazing track!

Never thought Phlid would have different versions, seemed like just a fun one-off track. This one's actually better too!

Havent posted on this thread for a while, can't believe the quality of the continued uploads.

We seem to be heading into RDJ album territory with all the strings and whimsy. Seems like a hybrid of ICBYD and MFM

He could have easily put out a fantastic chill-out EP in 96-7 that had Ibiza Spliff, Cornish Spreek, 1974-94, Gear Smudge, Summerfestival, Autumn Travels and maybe the Clissold & LSB, Sekonda or something.

Love that lead synth in Cornish Spreek. It seems to be the same patch used on ssbn + ssba, wonder what it is?

This playlists are a dream come true, imagine last year telling someone we will have playslists created by afx of 100% unreleased material

Thabkyou afx

the old caustic window (now Erik) account?

What? I never used the Caustic Window account and I've never changed the adress of my SC account.

Didn't catch any of your stuff before it was removed but really digging the new one you posted yesterday and look forward to hearing more. Cheers

Brilliant wake-up call again, 8 new tracks. I'll never get used to it :) currently rocking 24 ems-alias mgroove on repeat before listening to the others, fucking amazing track!

Never thought Phlid would have different versions, seemed like just a fun one-off track. This one's actually better too!

I thought Phlid 2 sounded the same as the version I had from the original tape. What differences did you notice from the original ?

I thought Phlid 2 sounded the same as the version I had from the original tape. What differences did you notice from the original ?

Yeah, you're right, I stand corrected. Assumed it because of the title (Phlid 2) and because he's been uploading more alternate versions of tracks this week. I also couldn't remember the last part (with the pads) in the original, haven't heard it in years.

Yeah, you're right, I stand corrected. Assumed it because of the title (Phlid 2) and because he's been uploading more alternate versions of tracks this week. I also couldn't remember the last part (with the pads) in the original, haven't heard it in years.

Would be nice to have a digital version though like with the Bradley song. Hope he enables downloads at some point.

The AFX Selekta playlist has most all of my favorite tracks in it! Love it. The playlists are going to make digesting all this new music a lot easier.

Does anyone reckon all of this free music is, in part, a reaction to Aphex's music on Spotify/streaming services?

I noticed some drukqs tunes had been removed from YouTube, having been up for ages prior to this year.

Listen to the 256kbps rip on a good system, and then the CD/flac(better the 24bit) to my ears it's quite obvious the sound is way more full, but maybe most people aren't used to earing what is a good production...

24 bit is a complete waste of time, the bit rate only represents the dynamic range, 16 bit is already far more than is required to handle both quietest sounds the human ear can hear, and the loudest sounds that will actually cause pain and damage your hearing. Vinyl has about half the dynamic range as a 16 bit source for example. High bit rates only make sense in production and mixing, when that extra range can be useful to have in the signal path, but the final mixdown need never be higher than 16 bit.

Higher sampling rates can capture higher frequencies, and that is all, they cannot improve on the reproduction of the lower frequencies that are already being recorded, which is solely dependant on the quality of the AD/DA converters (and the filters they use), and the dithering algorithm being used. 44.1khz samples (which result in handling frequencies up to 22.05khz) should be more than enough for virtually every human ear, we cannot hear above 20khz, and most adults not much above 16-18khz, so there's already plenty of unnecessary data in there, adding more is a waste of time. Again, in terms of music production having extra frequency data might be helpful if you want to play around with it, but a final mixdown will never require it.

That doesn't mean that people can't genuinely tell the difference between so called high def releases (though in most cases they probably can't), but in the cases where there is a genuine difference it's down to the fact that the high def release will have been mastered differently. If you conduct blinded tests between a regular CD release and a HD release you'll be dealing with different masters, the main difference probably being that the HD release will be louder (which is enough to fool a person into thinking the overall quality is better). If however you did the test based off a high def release and a transcode of that release to 44/16 then no-one could tell the difference.

Does anyone reckon all of this free music is, in part, a reaction to Aphex's music on Spotify/streaming services?

I noticed some drukqs tunes had been removed from YouTube, having been up for ages prior to this year.

Really annoyed those were taken down. All those comments and views are gone forever now. I can say for sure that a good percentage of people would never have become fans of Aphex if they couldn't listen to his tracks on youtube. All it ends up leading to is people pitch shifting and time stretching the songs so they can bypass the copyright filter, which always sound awful.

Can someone do me a favour and share the comment Richard made about the naming of 26MFC by Rob Mitchell? I've searched through his SC comments and this thread and can't find it anywhere. Cheers