IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

So... everyone here has sustained disappointment in roland since at least the late 80's? I'd get it if there weren't a ton of other (smaller) companies making things and the only options were the roland cloud or buying used on reverb... but that won't be until a couple more years when the supply chain has really fully collapsed, right? By then, if the acb stuff is really as accurately modeled as roland claim, the first caps and transistors will start to go on those and zencore will be all that remains.

I think they ought to start making some of those deliberately aged synths, just like Gibson makes aged guitars for rich faildads to buy when they hit midlife crisis and can't afford a Harley Davidson.

Boss SL-20. Noisy, extremely intrusive transients, but damned if it isn't fun as hell and immediately useful. MIDI solely for sync purposes so the timing is great. Hard to find but if you can, they rule.

On 4/27/2022 at 6:29 PM, user said:

So... everyone here has sustained disappointment in roland since at least the late 80's?

I have/had/have tried plenty of good Roland stuff up through the early 2000s at least. 

It seems like a lot of older equipment companies that historically were very future-oriented and on the cutting edge of consumer music gear (which is always a couple decades behind the acutal cuting edge of music tech that hasn't made it into a mass-marketable form yet, although that's less true now than it once was) weren't ready to handle the last decade of people wanting OLDER technology with FEWER features at a low price, but they are also too big to keep up with smaller companies that are actually trying new, forward-looking things. 21st century Roland was never going to come up with the Octatrack or the Behringer Model D.

Anyhow, nothing Roland has done so far is nearly as low as Akai in the Jack O'Donnell years. 

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

I had no idea Klark-Ulinik had a Dimension D clone out now, and I'm seeing street prices below $130 which means I pretty much ahve to get one because even if it's junk it's cheaper than getting a front panel and enclosure for the DIY clone I've got PCBs for, so worst case scenario it would be a cheap way to get an enclosure.  Also that one nees something like 16 BBD chips and even the modern kind run about $10 each (and that's for the same Coolaudio chips that will be in the Klark-Teknik anyhow - I think the other options are even more but I haven't checked in a while), so basically the Klark-Technik is somewhere between half and 1/4 the cost of the parts for a DIY clone.

https://www.klarkteknik.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DTH

EDIT: probably going to wait until they start showing up used, since there's not much that can really get damaged on them and there will probably be some people who get one because they're a LEGENDARY 80s EFFECT and then be disappointed when they find out they're actually more of a high-class stereo widener that does one thing and does it in a pretty subtle way.

On 5/5/2022 at 12:03 PM, TubularCorporation said:

I had no idea Klark-Ulinik had a Dimension D clone out now, and I'm seeing street prices below $130 which means I pretty much ahve to get one because even if it's junk it's cheaper than getting a front panel and enclosure for the DIY clone I've got PCBs for, so worst case scenario it would be a cheap way to get an enclosure.  Also that one nees something like 16 BBD chips and even the modern kind run about $10 each (and that's for the same Coolaudio chips that will be in the Klark-Teknik anyhow - I think the other options are even more but I haven't checked in a while), so basically the Klark-Technik is somewhere between half and 1/4 the cost of the parts for a DIY clone.

https://www.klarkteknik.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DTH

EDIT: probably going to wait until they start showing up used, since there's not much that can really get damaged on them and there will probably be some people who get one because they're a LEGENDARY 80s EFFECT and then be disappointed when they find out they're actually more of a high-class stereo widener that does one thing and does it in a pretty subtle way.

There's also this if you want to go less Uli:

https://www.boss.info/us/products/dc-2w/

It's very nice, very Prince.

• Like 2

Thanks, I didn't know about that.  The original Dimension C isn't true stereo and costs like $400 now, so it wasn't even on my radar but that one looks tempting. 

On the other hand, it costs more than twice as much as the K-T clone so it's completely out of my price range for new gear any time soon, and it doesn't have that rack case either.  If the K-T sounds close enough to be worth buying then it's the more sensible one for me to consider.

I do like that the boss seems to let you have more than one mode active at the same time, because the old Behringer Dimension C clone works that way and my favorite sound is 1+3, which isn't possible o the original (and I'm pretty sure not possible on the Dimension D either, but I could be wrong about that).

EDIT: the Klark sounds pretty bad in this:

Something about the Boss doesn't sound subtle enough for this kind of effect to me, but it's still really nice.

In this comparison, the Klark not only sounds distorted and midrangey in a bad way but I honestly can barely hear any difference between the different modes half the time..

So I've pretty well talked myself out of wanting either, and back into wanting the J.H. Subtle Chorus DT, but not particularlywanting to build it:

subtle_chorus_open_TD_prototype.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

Damn OBX8 sounds lush af

Totally but Im still not convinced I should sell my ob-6 (so I could buy it) tbh …depends what you want

Based on available demos ob-6 still seems to be more versatile for modern production; ob-6 can sound retro af but if i want it can sound quite fresh too … 

Edited by xox

3 hours ago, xox said:

Id sell it (and buy ob-8x) only if id needed to send it for repairs a lot, otherwise id keep 

Yeah my Ob is mostly completely restored so I’m confident it’ll be going strong for many years but…ya never know

21 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

tbh I’m kinda tempted to sell my OB8 to get one of these…idk tho, my OB8 is my most beloved instrument ?

I only hear about OB-8's being a nightmare to upkeep so I dunno, but I don't think the X8 compares. It is a lot more modern and tight sounding, kinda like the P5 rev4. It'd be superb for some woolly pads but the asking price is a lot for what it does.