IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

I really shouldn't have watched that Make Noise Morphagene video lastnight.

Having said that, the octatrack can essentially do everything it does.

Though, it does raise a point, I think all of my future gear purchases should be weirder stuff, from smaller manufacturers etc.. I've got enough fkn subtractive synths.

Current GAS (kinda?) is for the knowledge to create a Teensy-based CV/gate sequencer. Elektron/nanoloop style, maybe with 1 or 2 gate outs and 4+ CV outs. I could make it in pd for raspberry pi but I'd need to figure out how to address the GPIO pins.. maybe I'll give that a go.. or just give up and get an axoloti lol

Wait, it's possible to send CV from the GPIO outs on the Raspberry Pi?!

The GPIO documentation seems to show that there's 5V, 3.3V pins, ground and I/O pins, but it says that the I/O pins are momentary. I'm wracking what little I know about electrics stuff and it kind of seems that it might be possible with some soldering. Going to google some stuff now, but if it's really possible, then *this changes everything*!

Pretty sure you can use those digital I/O pins to drive DACs. Otherwise you could low pass filter them to smooth out the voltage. If I remember right this is how the Shruthi-1 worked (and probably countless other Arduino projects). So that'll take care of 0-5v, and then I'm sure there's some voltage multiplier thing that'd give you more range.

https://github.com/AudioMorphology/Europi/wiki

I really shouldn't have watched that Make Noise Morphagene video lastnight.

Having said that, the octatrack can essentially do everything it does.

Though, it does raise a point, I think all of my future gear purchases should be weirder stuff, from smaller manufacturers etc.. I've got enough fkn subtractive synths.

Current GAS (kinda?) is for the knowledge to create a Teensy-based CV/gate sequencer. Elektron/nanoloop style, maybe with 1 or 2 gate outs and 4+ CV outs. I could make it in pd for raspberry pi but I'd need to figure out how to address the GPIO pins.. maybe I'll give that a go.. or just give up and get an axoloti lol

Wait, it's possible to send CV from the GPIO outs on the Raspberry Pi?!

The GPIO documentation seems to show that there's 5V, 3.3V pins, ground and I/O pins, but it says that the I/O pins are momentary. I'm wracking what little I know about electrics stuff and it kind of seems that it might be possible with some soldering. Going to google some stuff now, but if it's really possible, then *this changes everything*!

Pretty sure you can use those digital I/O pins to drive DACs. Otherwise you could low pass filter them to smooth out the voltage. If I remember right this is how the Shruthi-1 worked (and probably countless other Arduino projects). So that'll take care of 0-5v, and then I'm sure there's some voltage multiplier thing that'd give you more range.

Yeah, I found something called the Europi, which claims to be a Eurorack compatible step sequencer built around the Pi, but the wiki is not very informative with pictures or instructions, but it seems it's being updated and there's probably interesting stuff in the files. I need a noob's tutorial though. :)

yeah same lol, which is why I'm hoping to learn arduino/teensy programming so I can make my own instead :P

I just haven't been able to find any other sequencer that can do what I want, without having to spend a ton of money (analog 4) or buy multiples of the same item (sq-1). Beatstep pro comes close but it's not *quite* what I want.

I'm thinking of saving up for a digital poly, probably won't get it for another year or so. But I want some weird features on it:

I want it to be 88 or 73 keys so I can work on piano chops and also have it be my main controller. 

to make it so I don't need any other synth except for my analog mono. 

to sample and be able to manipulate those samples in cool ways.

all signs point to a Korg Kronos, which is sad because I will never use the "workstation-y" parts of it. 

I could also search out a used K2500/2600, but I would be worried about longevity. 

any other pieces of gear pop into mind? 

Guest Chesney

I'd consider a weighted controller and a rack. Something like the Microwave XT. But you could get anything really.

Can't think of many really decent synths with good interface and lots of keys apart from the Waldorf Q or V synth GT.

Never dabbled with any Kurzweil

Edited by Chesney

Found a deal online for a brand new Octatrack MK1 for $800.....    Ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck...

Do I need this?

Maybe.....

Edited by hautlle

Nord Stage?

So I looked into this and it looks like you can't sample with it but you can load in your own wavs. Do you know how capable it is at messing with samples in it? Any timestretching of any sort? How are the fx?

I'd consider a weighted controller and a rack. Something like the Microwave XT. But you could get anything really.

Can't think of many really decent synths with good interface and lots of keys apart from the Waldorf Q or V synth GT.

Never dabbled with any Kurzweil

Yeah I have thought about going the controller route. I don't own any rack stuff. Would probably be just as expensive or more to go that route than getting the Kronos. I dunno, not gassing too hard yet to splurge on anything. The V-synth looks like a soundshaper's dream, but they are hard to find and I would like a better keyboard. Thanks for the thoughts

Found a deal online for a brand new Octatrack MK1 for $800.....    Ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck...

Do I need this?

Maybe.....

do it imo, you'll probably be able to sell it for the same price (eventually) if you don't like it.

Nord Stage?

So I looked into this and it looks like you can't sample with it but you can load in your own wavs. Do you know how capable it is at messing with samples in it? Any timestretching of any sort? How are the fx?

I'm not familiar with it at all, I just heard that it's a bit of a monster keyboard with a ton of their synthesis/rompler/wave engines included..

Another option I guess would be, as Chesney says, to get a 76/88 key weighted controller and use something like the Roland Integra 7, perhaps..?

Ended up pulling the trigger on the OT last night -- I literally carted it up on the site and began checking out at least 3 or 4 times before I actually completed the process...

August 9th ETA ?

Edited by hautlle

Ended up pulling the trigger on the OT last night -- I literally carted it up on the site and began checking out at least 3 or 4 times before I actually completed the process...

lol I did the exact same thing with the 0-coast, made worse by ebay having a 10% off sale.. then I just thought "fuck it" and then "oops" :D

yeah same lol, which is why I'm hoping to learn arduino/teensy programming so I can make my own instead :P

I just haven't been able to find any other sequencer that can do what I want, without having to spend a ton of money (analog 4) or buy multiples of the same item (sq-1). Beatstep pro comes close but it's not *quite* what I want.

I found some tutorials on how to do analog input and analog output. Not sure about how to adapt this stuff so that it'll work with Eurorack voltages though. :)

Keep me posted guys :) I am gearing up to get my own first semi-modular (not counting the microbrute because it's frankly a little boring for that purpose). This seems like a fine time to brush up on Arduino.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but:

Anyone have any mixer recommendations? I'd be using it for recording as well as playing live. All line signals currently.

Eyeing the Allen & Heath ZEDi-10FX, Yamaha MG10XU, and Behringer Xenyx X1222USB.

got GAS recently

decided to treat it with another DIY repair attempt. gonna repair my beloved lexicon lxp-5.

i didn't succeed again. fuck hardware! bye bye GAS!

Edited by telefunken

my gas has gone. im ultra productive, what i instead spent some money on is getting my entire studio/modular tidy and patched properly so that all i have to do is change settings in ableton to record different gear. also my modular has really clicked for me. there is one last thing i want, which is to finish my trio of eventide pedals with the time factor, then im pretty much done. i have my studio set up to make the exact sounds i want to make. 

Anyone have any mixer recommendations? I'd be using it for recording as well as playing live. All line signals currently.

Eyeing the Allen & Heath ZEDi-10FX, Yamaha MG10XU, and Behringer Xenyx X1222USB.

I have a Xenyx 802 and it has served me well in the studio. I use all line signals too, and probably would use a different mixer if I was mic-ing things with it. 

I got a Soundcraft EPM series (I forget the number, it's boxed up right now since I'm mid-move, but it's the 12 channel one with no built in effects) a couple years back, one of the few pieces of gear I've actually bought new rather than used, and I'm really happy with it for the price.

Cons:

-preamps have a good amount of headroom but when they DO clip it's not the kind I find very musical or interesting

-bigger than similar mixers

Pros:

-per-channel inserts

-mid-band EQ can get into almost bandpass territory and is definitely useful as a sound design tool

-bigger than similar mixers (nice fader throw for a relatively inexpensive mixer - not a budget mixer but still reasonably priced)

-1/4" jacks are really solid or the price.

-Legowelt uses one so if you use one you will be as good as Legowelt

my gas has gone. im ultra productive, what i instead spent some money on is getting my entire studio/modular tidy and patched properly so that all i have to do is change settings in ableton to record different gear. also my modular has really clicked for me. there is one last thing i want, which is to finish my trio of eventide pedals with the time factor, then im pretty much done. i have my studio set up to make the exact sounds i want to make. 

This is where I'm at (unless my friend comes through with that cheap Korg I mentioned earlier, because a sub $300 PolySix or MonoPoly would be madness to pass up these days), I'm about half way through moving and will have a much better space to work in than I've ever had before, so my only GAS now is stuff like rack rails and cables and maybe another patchbay.  Some nice birch plywood to make a proper stand for my turntable. But all I really ant to do is be set up so I can just go in and work without any hassle, and get a nice workflow going between DAW based recording and a simple, portable, Octatrack based live rig, so I can get back in to playing out more often than 2-3 times a year like it's been since I quit playing with bands and no longer have a drummer with a van I can count on to transport a bunch of gear.  The last thing I want is to get more things, especially after having to carry everything up and down a bunch of stairs.

Guest Chesney

A polysix would be nice, kinda like having a juno but a MonoPoly, damn, that's unique. I've always wanted one but never had the right cash at the right time and they are silly money now.

How come you sold the OT Shea?