definitely have to be able to see through trailers. creating trailers and creating movies are practically two separate lines of work. one is the actual thing and the other is a bastardised reductive sample of it tweaked as much as possible to draw attention, usually with not-good results. I agree that more filmmakers should pay special attention to how trailers are made and work on them separately, e.g. create a small vignette set in the same story/world rather than rehash scenes from the film. but that would probably not work as well in terms of a trailer's primary purpose, which is to balltease.

• Like 1

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/25/2021 at 4:42 AM, Rubin Farr said:

I’m guessing this is just the first book? Wonder what source material the TV series will draw from.

First half of the first book, up to the bit when they arrive at Sietch Tabr or thereabouts. 

TV series not based on anything afaik, unless it's from his son's awful books (he did a few prequels I think). It's gonna be a Bene Gesserit focused prequel thing.

On 8/17/2021 at 7:37 PM, auxien said:

that article doesn’t confirm anything.

''The filmmaker only agreed to direct an adaptation of Frank Herbert’s seminal science-fiction novel for Legendary and Warner Bros. if they allowed him to split the book into two films.''

• Thanks 1
  • Burger 1

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/08/denis-villenueve-optimistic-dune-2-gets-made-1234658549/

The director is now writing “Dune Part 2” and said it would take a “Part 1” box office disaster for the next film not to get made.

“We have been hearing in the past few decades that it’s not possible to adapt this book, and that it’s an impossible task. I think that in the back of the mind of the studio, it’s still the same!” Villeneuve told Total Film with a laugh. “The first thing was to prove that there was a beautiful, popular movie that can exist, and I think that I proved that — everybody at Warner Bros and Legendary, they are 100 percent behind the project. They feel that it would need a really bad outcome at the box office to not have a ‘Dune: Part Two,’ because they love the movie. They are proud of the movie, so they want the movie to move forward. And they still did half of it. So, you know, I’m very optimistic.”

Of course considering things with this angle, that will always make sense because money is always the condition with movies supposed to be that big, even if Villeneuve makes kind of author blockbusters.

But a good box office score for Blade Runner 2049 was also a condition for him to make Dune. Finally BR 2049 didn't made expected earnings but Dune happened. So who knows?

For what it's worth, apart box office disaster, that second part is planned since the director embraced the project.

• Facepalm 1

Dune 2: confirmed, Villeneuve is very confident the studio is going to fund it! he’s even writing the script already!

me going out with Ana de Armas: confirmed, i’m very confident she’s going to contact me and ask me out! i’m even planning the date already (taking her to the premiere of Dune 2!)!!!1!1!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, auxien said:

Dune 2: confirmed, Villeneuve is very confident the studio is going to fund it! he’s even writing the script already!

me going out with Ana de Armas: confirmed, i’m very confident she’s going to contact me and ask me out! i’m even planning the date already (taking her to the premiere of Dune 2!)!!!1!1!!!

>my new girlfriend is so great

>i can't believe ana de armas actually loves me

>it's so great having a loyal girlfriend that cares about me

>

his hope and optimism, destroyed

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The last time Denis Villeneuve adapted a famous sci-fi story, audiences didn’t show up. Thankfully, he hasn’t learned from his mistakes: It’s genuinely heartening to see the Quebecois-gone-Hollywood director follow Blade Runner 2049, which didn’t earn the box office it deserved, with another glorious science fiction epic worthy of its lauded source material.

[...]

Dune is engrossing and spectacular; it’s rare to see a blockbuster so grand, intelligent, and distinct, one that speaks to humanity’s past, present, and future.

Dune has finally premiered, and it’s a staggering spectacle of sci-fi imagination (The A/V Club)

Edited by dcom
  • Like 2