IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

4 hours ago, auxien said:

FWIW the official Dutch standpoint - with the Dutch CDC insists is in line with WHO recommendations - is that face masks lead to a false sense of security, increase the risk of transmission (as you’ll be touching your face more to adjust the damn things) and the protection they offer others should *you* be the one that’s contagious is less than if you would just keep a safe distance (which over here is 1.5 meters).

:shrug: 

They say the only reason to recommend facial masks for everyone if keeping such a safe distance is impossible.

Which I guess it is, in places where they use them a lot, such as Japan or South Korea.

Or the subway in New York.

Edited by rhmilo

Yeah. Talked to a clinician a couple weeks ago. He basically said face masks stop being effective after wearing them 20 mins.

So, yeah, false sense of security. And more importantly, you'd want them to be available for healthcare workers. They actually need them. Keeping your distance and washing your hands should be enough for us regular citizens. If everyone starts to wear masks, you end up making it even more difficult for healthcare workers - across the world!! - to be able to use them. Doesn't sound like a good idea at all. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

What negates how effective they are after 20 min?

After 20 mins the fabric is wet. At which point masks stop being effective.

33 minutes ago, hijexx said:

So masks are not effective and healthcare workers need them.

Got it.

Come one man. Not a time to be snarky about this stuff.

The idea is that healthcare workers use a lot of them during the day. Which makes it all the more important they have plenty available. If they can't work protected, you end up with sick healthcare workers.

I'm tired of hearing all the people who three months ago didn't have the word coronavirus in their vocabulary all of a sudden parroting random opinions about the efficacy of N95 masks and how it's socially irresponsible to use them if you're not a healthcare worker. All of a sudden everyone  is an expert in epidemiology and an authority on who can and can't use certain commercial products.

I have a box of N95's that I've had for years. It's like a 3 pack. They are enough for me. I'm not sitting on a stockpile. I've been sheltering in place since the first week of March and only going out to buy groceries. I wear my mask because I've done enough research to make the risk calculation for myself.

If some scold tries to lecture me about how I shouldn't be wearing my mask they're getting my middle finger in their face.

Edited by hijexx
typo
  • Like 5

here's an epic thread by brilliant and exceptionally well-informed journalist Zeynep Tufekci on the topic of mask-wearing. 

she started the thread on mar 17 and has been continuing it as recently as yesterday, apr 3. during that time she has been leading the charge in establishing mask-wearing as guidance, during which time the CDC and others have caved and reversed course, siding with Zeynep.

Edited by very honest

1 hour ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I'm worried about Slavoj Žižek.  Any surface he touches is going directly to his face.

isn’t it precisely that he has always already had the virus?

Edited by Alcofribas
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hijexx said:

I'm tired of hearing all the people who three months ago didn't have the word coronavirus in their vocabulary all of a sudden parroting random opinions about the efficacy of N95 masks and how it's socially irresponsible to use them if you're not a healthcare worker. All of a sudden everyone  is an expert in epidemiology and an authority on who can and can't use certain commercial products.

I have a box of N95's that I've had for years. It's like a 3 pack. They are enough for me. I'm not sitting on a stockpile. I've been sheltering in place since the first week of March and only going out to buy groceries. I wear my mask because I've done enough research to make the risk calculation for myself.

If some scold tries to lecture me about how I shouldn't be wearing my mask they're getting my middle finger in their face.

Way to take things personal.

Maybe it's not about you. It's about the US government saying people should use them. It will have an impact on global availability if 300m people start buying these. If they're still available, that is. Which they probably won't. Unless foreign orders get cancelled, because Joe sixpack want to use a mask. 

Good luck with your pack of N95s. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, goDel said:

Way to take things personal.

Maybe it's not about you. It's about the US government saying people should use them. It will have an impact on global availability if 300m people start buying these. If they're still available, that is. Which they probably won't. Unless foreign orders get cancelled, because Joe sixpack want to use a mask. 

Good luck with your pack of N95s. 

maybe americans can DIY masks out of toilet paper? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, goDel said:

I'd advice using diapers. ?

packer diapers GIF

one night of silly hijinx w/friends around a campfire we created a brand of adult diapers for seniors called "GramCrappers".  today i told one of those friends (via text of course) that we need N95 GramCrappers because i read that the virus can be spread via aerosolized feces.. so if he's out somewhere and someone farts he needs to RUN! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, very honest said:

here's an epic thread by brilliant and exceptionally well-informed journalist Zeynep Tufekci on the topic of mask-wearing. 

she started the thread on mar 17 and has been continuing it as recently as yesterday, apr 3. during that time she has been leading the charge in establishing mask-wearing as guidance, during which time the CDC and others have caved and reversed course, siding with Zeynep.

Hate to break it to you, but hand washing *also* isn’t that effective against a virus that spreads through the air on droplets of saliva and phlegm.

The only thing that truly works is is to get out of the way of these droplets, ie: keep your distance. Which is exactly what authorities including WHO and our local authorities have been advising all along.

(and this, btw, is why medical staff *do* in fact need those face masks: because they can’t get away from all the droplets with virus material on them)

4 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Hate to break it to you, but hand washing *also* isn’t that effective against a virus that spreads through the air on droplets of saliva and phlegm.

The only thing that truly works is is to get out of the way of these droplets, ie: keep your distance. Which is exactly what authorities including WHO and our local authorities have been advising all along.

(and this, btw, is why medical staff *do* in fact need those face masks: because they can’t get away from all the droplets with virus material on them)

i didn't say people shouldn't distance.

i didn't say medical staff don't need face masks.

you suggest handwashing "isn't effective." for one thing, handsoap actually kills the virus. for another, it gets shit off your hands.

30 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

So Malaysia makes a big chunk of the world's condoms and production is plummeting at the moment which will lead to shortages . At work we decided to buy up big a few weeks ago but now people can't visit eachother unless they live alone basically so we will have a bunch of condoms . Hoping that the glove shortage coming soon will make people creative and we can get rid of these doms

i still have the same box i bought 3 years ago. :datboi:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Burger 1

12 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

One latex glove can theoretically yield 5 condoms

but you'd need 4 friends and have to be willing to be pretty close. ?

• Haha 1