IGNORED

Autechre as approachable dudes

DyeMyBlueBlack

^same. Even though they're approachable I'd still feel intrusive trying to engage them. I might go for an acknowledging nod from a distance though and then just enjoy the buzz of having spotted them and being in their vicinity. 

there is a general formula, i think: in approaching an established individual, exactly for the reasons that made him affirm, it makes little sense in itself (unless, of course, there is a valid reason for doing so) and, in in any case, the meeting will be completely conditioned by the fact that there are already roles defined a priori, not both start from a zero degree, which translates the occasion into a sort of farce (aka embarrassment). After all, the maximum expression that emerges from the guy is the one that made him known, his art, which, therefore, surpasses the individual himself, so, probably, I have already received the highest degree of the artist, without necessarily know him personally.

That said, Sean, from what I've seen, is the dude with the shining, meeting him would be cool regardless of the fact that he created dha fkng aw-tek-er 

• Like 1

The last time they were in Zagreb I tried to find them but they seemed to remain backstage the entire time and I didn’t want to be too intrusive by going back there; part of me was glad I didn’t meet them bc id probably hug them impulsively and they’d never come back to Croatia again ? 

i mean what to say to a stranger that means to you that much anyway? ?

• Like 3

interesting how these kinda "starcult" aspects always seem to sneak their way in. in this case especially since electronic music culture often has the tendency to superficially shift focus towards the product and away from the "author" (in the focauldian sense), problemizing the latter with sampling / dj-ing, questioning traditional notions of virtuosity and inspiration down to functionally reduced artworks etc. ... or maybe that's just my interpretation.

anywhoo, not a complaint by any means, just an observation. humans just seem to love admiring other humans.

I'm always put off by TJ's macho posturing stage presence to the extent that it stops me from enjoying the set and makes me not want to listen to his music for quite a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

interesting how these kinda "starcult" aspects always seem to sneak their way in. in this case especially since electronic music culture often has the tendency to superficially shift focus towards the product and away from the "author" (in the focauldian sense), problemizing the latter with sampling / dj-ing, questioning traditional notions of virtuosity and inspiration down to functionally reduced artworks etc. ... or maybe that's just my interpretation.

anywhoo, not a complaint by any means, just an observation. humans just seem to love admiring other humans.

right, if the phenomenon occurs (even if in different forms) in distant and sometimes unsuspected fields, it probably has its own physiological function (society itself, moreover, is the epiphenomenon of physiology).
In the end admiration, if it does not become idolatry, is a healthy thing

• Big Brain 1

On 8/8/2022 at 2:33 PM, jaderpansen said:

Strange that watmm hasn’t tried to explain that from the standpoint of evolutionary psychology… i mean, how else can we justify any human behavior?! Probably no other way!

• Like 1

I've never had any desire to get a photo of or with any of the artists I've met, I find it boorish. I've recounted my experiences meeting (and re-meeting) some of the people mentioned here in other threads, so I won't go on about that - but my opportunities to meet them have almost always been connected to me having been a DJ for 30-odd years and most of the times I've played at the same event or even warmed up for them, that has leveled the approachability playfield a lot. I've never met a favourite artist who's not been at least decent, most of them have been likeable and some nice beyond belief. I don't think I've ever approached anyone - at least for the first time - without a couple of their records and a pen, that's been my thing from the start. No photos, ever; signed records and connections are my thing.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 4

I was approached by the brothers. It was after a show (not an ae show, this was a screening of dr Doolittle with Edward Murphy) I was standing around bumping elbows with the stars. Kim Basinger, Al Capone, David Lee Roth, Eli Roth, mark Rothko, et al. I was the “plus one” to an up and coming starlet, who’s name I shan’t reveal out of discretion (it was Chloe Sevigne). Anyway, I looked cool, striking, charismatic and significant. I was wearing an Egyptian scarab ring. I had alligator cowboy boots with those silver tips that curl up. A jesters cap crowned the ensemble, a bit of genuine whimsy I thought of at the last minute which turned out to be the very opening to a greeting from sean. He approached and opened with “nice jesters cap mate, I used to have one just like it when I was into tagging and bmx.” I was furious. I had not heard of autechre and to me this was a gross offense. What is bmx? Figuring this was some kind of insult I pulled out my knife and swung it recklessly in his direction, adding a threatening quality to this movement by saying “you wot mate? You fucking chav,” which I figured was language he could understand. He was frightened but emboldened when Robert arrived, curious to discover what exactly was going on. They busted out two laptops, connected to a small mackie vlz mixer with two Kenton controllers. The music that came out was the most incredible shit I had ever heard in my life. Percussive sounds were going so fast as to defy any rhythmic perception whatsoever, they were menacing textures, foreboding walls of metallic, organic matériels. Lush pads would arise slowly, kept at low volume so as to keep the listener in a state of yearning for more. The emotion during those pads was palpable, romantic, melancholic. I pocketed my knife. Moved almost to tears I apologized to sean for my hostile overreaction. He gave me a curious smirk, impossible to judge how condescending it was. Rob just kind of smiled pleasantly as he packed up the gear. We have remained lifelong friends ever since this moment and I regard it as the highest honor of my life that they named one of their great works after me (“AE Live Krakow”) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 16

Richard devine or James? 

I met Autechre. Asked a silly question. Got a silly answer. Noticed their tour van was a pile of shit. This was 22 years ago.

Really wish I saw the mic in blender show with Richard in NYC. True Folklore.

didn't he also supposedly use sand paper as a record? I dunno

So how many people on wamtm are old xltronic peeps that can't log in anymore? I'm one of them. I was a bit snobbish about watmm back then; circa 2007 or 09

Edited by marf
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, marf said:

Richard devine or James? 

I met Autechre. Asked a silly question. Got a silly answer. Noticed their tour van was a pile of shit. This was 22 years ago.

So how many people on wamtm are old xltronic peeps that can't log in anymore? I'm one of them. I was a bit snobbish about watmm back then; circa 2007 or 09

xltronic was cooler at one point. that was a long time ago tho

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, marf said:

Richard devine or James? 

my account still works, rarely log in tho... pretty deprecated.

23 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

xltronic was cooler at one point. that was a long time ago tho

yeah i fondly remember 2003~2006 exclusive stuff going on, like the ae remix contest or the marathon dj set. a long time ago.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

yeah i fondly remember 2003~2006 exclusive stuff going on, like the ae remix contest or the marathon dj set. a long time ago.

Wow, I forgot about those. I still have some of them on an old hard drive, there was that crazy cover of Rae someone did only using samples of their voice.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

I was approached by the brothers. It was after a show (not an ae show, this was a screening of dr Doolittle with Edward Murphy) I was standing around bumping elbows with the stars. Kim Basinger, Al Capone, David Lee Roth, Eli Roth, mark Rothko, et al. I was the “plus one” to an up and coming starlet, who’s name I shan’t reveal out of discretion (it was Chloe Sevigne). Anyway, I looked cool, striking, charismatic and significant. I was wearing an Egyptian scarab ring. I had alligator cowboy boots with those silver tips that curl up. A jesters cap crowned the ensemble, a bit of genuine whimsy I thought of at the last minute which turned out to be the very opening to a greeting from sean. He approached and opened with “nice jesters cap mate, I used to have one just like it when I was into tagging and bmx.” I was furious. I had not heard of autechre and to me this was a gross offense. What is bmx? Figuring this was some kind of insult I pulled out my knife and swung it recklessly in his direction, adding a threatening quality to this movement by saying “you wot mate? You fucking chav,” which I figured was language he could understand. He was frightened but emboldened when Robert arrived, curious to discover what exactly was going on. They busted out two laptops, connected to a small mackie vlz mixer with two Kenton controllers. The music that came out was the most incredible shit I had ever heard in my life. Percussive sounds were going so fast as to defy any rhythmic perception whatsoever, they were menacing textures, foreboding walls of metallic, organic matériels. Lush pads would arise slowly, kept at low volume so as to keep the listener in a state of yearning for more. The emotion during those pads was palpable, romantic, melancholic. I pocketed my knife. Moved almost to tears I apologized to sean for my hostile overreaction. He gave me a curious smirk, impossible to judge how condescending it was. Rob just kind of smiled pleasantly as he packed up the gear. We have remained lifelong friends ever since this moment and I regard it as the highest honor of my life that they named one of their great works after me (“AE Live Krakow”) 

did Chloe find your number etc on one of those sterilized glass sample pads you leave in dumpsters around the cities of the world?

On 8/5/2022 at 4:34 PM, droid said:

Maybe he was just having a bad night, but I met probably every major artist from the WARP/Rephlex/SKAM axis back in the day and he was the only person who ever asked for the backstage to be cleared before a gig. Then he went onto play an hour or so of noise at the start of his set.

In terms of soundness, Bola, Pole, Mira, Vibert and Keith Tenniswood were all super nice as well, and Ed DMX, he was over a fair few times.

Was that the Go Plastic set at TBMC? He was late alright and I heard after he was cranky AF? Great bloody set though but many folks annoyed

Edited by phudoshin

17 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

I checked recently and it looks extremely sparse there with just threads of pure mental illness. 

My remixes were utterly trash. Embarrassing to listen to now. 

2 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

did Chloe find your number etc on one of those sterilized glass sample pads you leave in dumpsters around the cities of the world?

iirc she did have such serum analyzed and gave birth to a powerful offspring of mine

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 5:02 AM, Alcofribas said:

lale

On 8/10/2022 at 12:36 PM, six said:

Wow, I forgot about those. I still have some of them on an old hard drive, there was that crazy cover of Rae someone did only using samples of their voice.

fucking yes, I still love that cover