IGNORED

What video games are you currently playing?

Rubin Farr

yea i think the source engine works for portal because they dont need to have big sprawling environments, its suitable for that game to just be smaller / medium size test chambers.

where the source engine fails miserably is being able to have broad sweeping areas, because they dont have the technology where distant objects are lower res versions of themselves that get higher quality as you get closer or zoom in... everything is full detail all the time and its a waste of resources and they cant put as much on screen..

this is a problem they have always had , and imo they definitely need to upgrade for a game like half life 3.

and the episodic thing might as well be out the window at this point, im sure they are aware what a mistake it was too.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just ordered sacred 2, maybe good for a weekend or 2.

i'm looking for a generic baldur's gate type game that i can play co-op for 360. even arcadey like dynasty warriors. suggestions?

yea i think the source engine works for portal because they dont need to have big sprawling environments, its suitable for that game to just be smaller / medium size test chambers.

where the source engine fails miserably is being able to have broad sweeping areas, because they dont have the technology where distant objects are lower res versions of themselves that get higher quality as you get closer or zoom in... everything is full detail all the time and its a waste of resources and they cant put as much on screen..

this is a problem they have always had , and imo they definitely need to upgrade for a game like half life 3.

and the episodic thing might as well be out the window at this point, im sure they are aware what a mistake it was too.

Episode 2 had pretty big environments and the source engine does have LOD, like any modern game engine. But you are right in a sense that the source engine is not optimized for "streaming" like a lot of open-world engines, it's still very level-based.

To be honest, I don't care that much. Valve is without a doubt the best at building levels that push you in the right direction without being too obvious. They can build a linear campagin that doesn't feel like it at all. They probably do more detailed playtesting than anyone in the industry. Portal was fantastic because it made you feel smart, yet you never got stuck on a puzzle. They can challenge you without causing frustration. It's brilliant game design.

I would be excited about a new Valve engine, but more importantly I just want to see more output from these guys.

i'm looking for a generic baldur's gate type game that i can play co-op for 360. even arcadey like dynasty warriors. suggestions?

the first marvel ultimate alliance, I would actually like some more co-op action rpg suggestions as well, for ps3 360 or PC.

Valve is without a doubt the best at building levels that push you in the right direction without being too obvious. They can build a linear campagin that doesn't feel like it at all.

That's true, I remember a bit from Half Life 2 in the coast area. There was some abandoned house I walked in, I thought it was just put there as background cause it was kind of far away from the path, I went closer to explore, but apparently I was supposed to go in there, as there were some creepy events triggered once I was in. That was pretty cool.

god of war 3 on hard mode. Super hard at times, You need to actually have a correct strategy to get past certain parts. just beat hades, I'm at the gateway to olympia and those guys with the unbreakable(but blockable) attack suck. Once the dogs come out im like fuck this. 4 hits and im dead.

worms reloaded, today i beat the main missions, which is kinda the ending but i unlocked the last 5 err bonus" maps. i'm taking a break now watching the academy awards. i slaughtered level 29, booya!

god of war 3 on hard mode. Super hard at times, You need to actually have a correct strategy to get past certain parts. just beat hades, I'm at the gateway to olympia and those guys with the unbreakable(but blockable) attack suck. Once the dogs come out im like fuck this. 4 hits and im dead.

I didn't like the demo, haven't played any of the other GoW games either. But I'm actually big into Greek mythology and stuff, only problem was that the guy you play was so small on my non-HD TV that anything he did looked rather unspectacular, and I couldn't really care about him or loosing. Maybe it would be worth another try when playing over a projector. If it does get more strategic, it sounds interesting. I don't like mere button mashing so much.

I didn't like the demo, haven't played any of the other GoW games either. But I'm actually big into Greek mythology and stuff, only problem was that the guy you play was so small on my non-HD TV that anything he did looked rather unspectacular, and I couldn't really care about him or loosing. Maybe it would be worth another try when playing over a projector. If it does get more strategic, it sounds interesting. I don't like mere button mashing so much.

It should be coming out as a greatest hit soon. I'd recommend it, demo doesn't do it justice. Very cinematic looks really nice on HD, there are also a lot of camera movement and zooming in the game so he's not always so tiny.

EDIT: but you should grab the 1st 2 because there is a lot of storyline you will miss otherwise if you are into the mythology side of things.

I think a friend has at least the 2nd one. Is there really a big consistent storyline to it?

It's got a great storyline and is worth playing the first 2. Pick up the GoW Collection, it's only $30. And yes, GoW 3 is now a Greatest Hits so you can pick it up for $30 as well. 3 awesome games for $60? Go now!

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

stacking on the PSN. kinda fun. could be harder puzzles but most of the repetitive challenges are easily worked out. i like a puzzle where you cannot work it out, you stop playing, come back the next day, still no idea, 3 days later you get an idea whilst taking a shit and bam you can continue. but without having to play for 10minutes to get to the challenging part as that pisses me right off

Guest disparaissant

sacred 2 lol

it's really not all that good but co op can be fun if you constantly try to dick each other over, and it's INCREDIBLY cheesy in a bad movie kind of way. like, you're this weird fallen angel type hero in a medieval sort of world and you're walking along and all of the sudden some guy stops you and he's like "HELLO I AM THE LEAD SINGER FOR THE METAL BAND BLIND GUARDIAN I HAVE LOST MY MICROPHONE WILL YOU HELP ME FIND IT?"

but yeah dynasty warriors 7 is coming out soon! should be fun for a playthrough or two.

had a go on a 3DS yesterday

it mapped the counter in front of me via a card and then i was shooting the unit around a virtual 3D dragon that seemed to pop out of a hole in the counter that wasn't there

quite impressive for a handheld unit but i'm not sure if the thing would give me a headache after a while

stacking on the PSN. kinda fun. could be harder puzzles but most of the repetitive challenges are easily worked out. i like a puzzle where you cannot work it out, you stop playing, come back the next day, still no idea, 3 days later you get an idea whilst taking a shit and bam you can continue. but without having to play for 10minutes to get to the challenging part as that pisses me right off

Yes, it's very fun. Nice light puzzle/adventure game.

KZ3

Hell yeah - done with single player, onto MP - keep an eye out for me!

Guest AcrossCanyons

hit the 3rd prestige on black ops yesterday - I want to soldier through as many as possible because I've never got past the 3rd or so on any of the previous.

Got Dead Space 2 over the weekend - just got a short half hour in yesterday evening. . . too early to say, but I loved the first one and this one seems to be just as tightly focused. Only (very, very minor) complaints are the sometimes cliche horror movie motifs and that the main character has a voice now - I know a lot of people claim that this draws the player into an emotional connection, but I actually very much liked that the first game isolated you by giving no voice at all to the protagonist.

Do love the way that you are given your main powers/weapons pretty early on - already jumped out of my seat a couple of times, so looks to be a promising, twisted trip.

Playing Dragon Age: Origins. I wanna beat it before the next one comes out. And I believe it comes out in a week from today. Can anyone recommend what DLC to get for this one?

Playing Dragon Age: Origins. I wanna beat it before the next one comes out. And I believe it comes out in a week from today. Can anyone recommend what DLC to get for this one?

Do you already have the Awakening expansion?

As for regular DLC, I'd recommend:

Warden's Keep (which is useful over the course of the game)

Witch Hunt

The Stone Prisoner

This is all the DLC for the game. I'm looking forward to 2. Pre-ordered the Signature Edition awhile ago. I have to wrap up Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow and Limbo soon so I can get on it as soon as possible.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Battlefield BC2 regs, Mechwarrior Living Legends Crysis Wars Mod, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and Crysis 2 leak on Hamachi

played the first couple of minutes of killzone 3. Since we moved house i can't find the move controllers. So when i've got time i'll dig through the many boxes and have a proper play. it was annoying using a controller again i must say, after lording it up on the keyboard and mouse for metro 2033. I don't know how people put up with that shit. Then again ppls put up with all sorts of shit, the boredom of live to air sport, listening to their girlfriends rag on about their day, going to work in customer service. So i should perhaps be a little less militant and a touch more circumspect about this console controller thing. perhaps

Archived