IGNORED

What video games are you currently playing?

Rubin Farr

Friend was over a few days ago, I put on Tomb Raider 3 for lols, then he fell asleep and I started playing the game for real. For the first time ever. As a kid, I'd always cheat my way through the game as I was too afraid of the enemies and got too involved. It was fun that way. But now, trying to actually PLAY the levels, it's horrible! I can put up with the graphics but the controls are ridiculous and the level design, how was anyone meant to play this game? I can't see shit, it's not like they couldn't have made an important item glow or something. Am I supposed to see the dark color five-polygon-construction on the dark color pixel mosaic? I spend almost the entire time searching and figuring out where I'm supposed to go! Jesus! But I want to beat it.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friend was over a few days ago, I put on Tomb Raider 3 for lols, then he fell asleep and I started playing the game for real. For the first time ever. As a kid, I'd always cheat my way through the game as I was too afraid of the enemies and got too involved. It was fun that way. But now, trying to actually PLAY the levels, it's horrible! I can put up with the graphics but the controls are ridiculous and the level design, how was anyone meant to play this game? I can't see shit, it's not like they couldn't have made an important item glow or something. Am I supposed to see the dark color five-polygon-construction on the dark color pixel mosaic? I spend almost the entire time searching and figuring out where I'm supposed to go! Jesus! But I want to beat it.

I tried to revisit Tomb Raider 2 a few years ago. I used to cheat through it when I was younger too. 2 has it's moments, but yeah, it's equally as flawed; having to execute that jump/back-flip/run-from-one-lever-to-another over and over again is maddening.

Talking of revisiting games that you cheated through as a kid then replayed later properly: Doom I,II and Quake seemed like almost entirely different genres when I replayed them recently compared to when I first attempted them. In cheat mode they're just an all out action FPS, but stick them on medium or hard (nightmare is a touch ott for me) nd played sans cheats and I found they almost turned into puzzle games. Especially latter levels of Doom II where you were frequently outgunned and you'd have to find just the right technique to get one monster to turn against another or work out the correct path to get from A to B without getting completely slaughtered. It made me completely re-evaluate the level design too, some of it is really clever with pacing etc... Quake I still holds up surprisingly well too atmosphere wise (Though having the Darkplace mod with a high texture/polygon pack does help with its [nowadays] somewhat dated looks)

Guest Dirty Protest

whoa i just played minesweeper for the first time on windows 7

I tried playing it on Vista recently. Really fucking annoying, when you hit a mine the xbox controller rumbles and theres no option to turn it off. Im not going to disconnect the controller everytime I want a game. Worst idea ever.

I am so glad they decided to make half life into episodic releases so the wait wouldn't be so long.

Killzone 3 campaign was short (surprise!), but it was pretty fun to play. Now that I'm used to the controls, I can play some K3 online. It'll take me a bit to get good again, cuz I really haven't played an online FPS since Halo 3 on my 360 before it broke. And that was a few years ago, so I've lost my touch.

Will be finishing up Mass Effect 2 before I start playing Dead Space 2.

Infamous 2 has a new trailer, it looks pretty cool. http://www.psu.com/Shockingly-good-inFamous-2-trailer-surfaces--a010802-p0.php

Damn, so many sequels...

Killzone 3 campaign was short (surprise!),

I'd say that if you play it on the harder settings it would take longer, cause i seem to recall that it encouraged some camping. But yeah 2 was pretty short too.

Silent Hill 3 & Oddworld: Abe's Exodus.

choices be good. two of the most excellent games music-wise too. I could listen to the pipe-noises from the Slig Barracks in Exoddus all day.

its taken so long that they should by all rights have a new source engine and half life 3 going ..

is Portal 2 gonna rely on the classic source engine like the first one? Does anybody know this? Would be a little disappointing, although the lab-environments work quite well with it.

I'm playing Resident Evil 5 online for the first time, it's kinda cool but still I wouldn't play the levels I don't already know like that. Online gamers tend to race through the game, not exactly atmospheric and I don't have time to look at the environments. Plus I was just fighting Irving and the other player must have gone to the bathroom or something, he just stood there until he died.

Silent Hill 3 & Oddworld: Abe's Exodus.

choices be good. two of the most excellent games music-wise too. I could listen to the pipe-noises from the Slig Barracks in Exoddus all day.

its taken so long that they should by all rights have a new source engine and half life 3 going ..

is Portal 2 gonna rely on the classic source engine like the first one?

Yep. And there's nothing wrong with that because they've tweaked the shit out of it.

Archived