IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Naqoyqatsi: 6/10 Visually and musically too inferior to Powaaqatsi and especially Koyaasqatsi. Also I kinda failed to get it's "point" even though I really tried.

yeah, the director of the trilogy screwed the pooch on that one. Not only does it visually look like a lot of cheesy stock footage we've all seen before, it's processed in an already very dated way.

I also thought the music was the weakest of the trilogy, letting Yo-Yo ma steamroll over/overshadow with his gregarious playing what might have been a very good Philip Glass score

I still feel good about having watched all three movies so now I can only watch Koyaanisqatsi for 140 more times and a few Powas now and then...

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i am reading Glamorama currently. Patrick Bateman and Christian Bale both made appearances.

and no i haven't seen zoolander

i am reading Glamorama currently. Patrick Bateman and Christian Bale both made appearances.

and no i haven't seen zoolander

Glamorama is freakin bonkers. I wonder how that could work as a movie.

I watched Warrior the other day. I quite liked it, apart from the training sequence and the ending.

I'm not ashamed to say I have a bit of a mancrush on Tom Hardy also so that might have swayed my score a touch.

Was surprised to see Kurt Angle in it!

Paprika- typical japanese animated film... 8.2/10

no, it's not actually. Highly untypical for japanese anime and an interesting story that christopher nolan stole and made less interesting

i guess you havent seen Nightmare on Elm St 3 The Dream Warriors or Dreamscape starring Dennis quaid which both came out almost 2 decades before Paprika?

yeah you're right, but still doesn't mean nolan didn't make it less interesting and more tom clancy

Naqoyqatsi: 6/10 Visually and musically too inferior to Powaaqatsi and especially Koyaasqatsi. Also I kinda failed to get it's "point" even though I really tried.

yeah, the director of the trilogy screwed the pooch on that one. Not only does it visually look like a lot of cheesy stock footage we've all seen before, it's processed in an already very dated way.

I also thought the music was the weakest of the trilogy, letting Yo-Yo ma steamroll over/overshadow with his gregarious playing what might have been a very good Philip Glass score

i always felt that naqoyqatsi deliberately used commonplace stock footage and "dated" techniques to convey what is ugly and vulgar about the medium and its place in visual culture. i agree that it's the least interesting of the trilogy and visually much less "beautiful" but somehow i've managed to appreciate that as part of the message. i do sometimes struggle with that though, wondering if a more artistically accomplished technique would elevate the material or if it would simply play into the way of life the film seems obviously set to critique.

completely disagree about the music too. i thought this was one instance where yo yo ma was a bit tempered and his presence does not overshadow so much as accompany the fuller orchestral setting.

in any case, totally love this trilogy. it's been ages since i watched it but fuck me if i don't recall having an epic experience, especially with koya which is the strongest of the three obviously.

You guys should watch Baraka if you haven't. I much prefer it to naqoyqatsi. Yes, I know it's not a part of the trilogy but screw that noise.

You guys should watch Baraka if you haven't. I much prefer it to naqoyqatsi. Yes, I know it's not a part of the trilogy but screw that noise.

I watched one Baraka movie and loved it. I wanna watch more!

A Dangerous Method

I enjoyed it, but Kiera Knightley's accent/face pulling was hard to handle some times.

Other wise, it was great. Some really nice sets, even though it seemed to be largely filmed in doctors offices/private study style locations. It really gave a great feel of the period in which it was based. I think it was the most subdued Cronenberg film I've ever seen, but still managed to hold on to that uneasy feeling that he has in all of his movies. CRONGENBERG 4 LYFE.

knightley's accent was the most accurate rendition of a russian speaking english i've heard in a film, i know it because that's very close to how i sound when speaking english (i was living in russia for my first 11 years). her r's and th-'s are not that accurate though, russians tend to pronounce th- as z, and the r's are usually very strong like in vysotskiy songs.

:wang:

they live - hilariously absurd satire on 80s society. i enjoy it most when i read reviews focused on 'society opening their eyes'. and the oneliners. oh the oneliners.

combat shock - filthiest, most disturbing movie this side of 'schizophreniac: the whore mangler'. it's like lynch teaming up with cronenberg and working on a string bidget. vietnam vet is losing it in front of our eyes in the world of wisecrack local mobbers, violent pimps, psycho social workers, drug addcits, deformed children and so on. a true headfuck of a movie.

'Ken Park'

Not particularly good. A surprisingly large amount of sex. More specifically cocks.

larry clark just wants to see kids have sex and he figured the safest way would be to just make movies about it. debbie does dallas was more about plot than this.

also, it's weird to see ray from generation kill beat off. and ejaculating. and all.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

'Ken Park'

Not particularly good. A surprisingly large amount of sex. More specifically cocks.

larry clark just wants to see kids have sex and he figured the safest way would be to just make movies about it. debbie does dallas was more about plot than this.

also, it's weird to see ray from generation kill beat off. and ejaculating. and all.

which one was ray?

Midnight in Paris - I had fun and fell in love with Marian Cotillard. 3/5

The Turin Horse - Bela Tarr's latest and probably last. Extremely bleak. 5/5

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia - Another great one by Ceylan. 4/5

Paprika- typical japanese animated film... 8.2/10

no, it's not actually. Highly untypical for japanese anime and an interesting story that christopher nolan stole and made less interesting

i guess you havent seen Nightmare on Elm St 3 The Dream Warriors or Dreamscape starring Dennis quaid which both came out almost 2 decades before Paprika?

yeah you're right, but still doesn't mean nolan didn't make it less interesting and more tom clancy

Actually Nolan stole the idea from an uncle scrooge comic:

http://disneycomics.free.fr/Ducks/Rosa/show.php?num=1&loc=D2002-033&s=date

Im serious, check it out.

Archived