IGNORED

Share Your Favorite Documentaries Thread!

Guest Al5x

• 3 weeks later...

Massive Attack X Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research - a short film.

In 2019 Massive Attack commissioned the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research to report on the live music industry and make recommendations for decarbonisation.

Subsequently an exemplar show was planned in Liverpool for October 2020 in the form of a collaboration between the band, the City, Tyndall, Ecotricity, The Good Business Festival & other partners...

Film by: Anthony Tombling Jr for Unit 3 Films
In association with Mark Donne & Brass Moustache.

Sound design by Del Naja / Dickinson.

Stage visuals: Del Naja / United Visual Artists.

Additional content: Giles Duley.

Show footage by Will Dohrn.

Drone footage by Stratus Imagery.

Soundtrack: Hymn From The Big Wheel - Massive Attack - Virgin Records ℗© 1991

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I read Other Minds: The Octopus, The Sea, and The Deep Origins of Consciousness as recommended here on watmm. Just finished scuba diving in Mexico (the cenotes in Tulum are beautiful if anybody gets the chance), and my dive instructor and another person mentioned to me this recent documentary called My Octopus Teacher. It's incredible, this guy documents a relationship he builds with an octopus in South Africa over the course of its life. These creatures are fascinating and his ability to film the entire thing using just a snorkel and his camera is insane. Highly recommended and a good companion film to that book.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 12:10 AM, viscosity said:

My Octopus Teacher. It's incredible, this guy documents a relationship he builds with an octopus in South Africa over the course of its life. These creatures are fascinating and his ability to film the entire thing using just a snorkel and his camera is insane. Highly recommended and a good companion film to that book.

I think you should reconsider the way you look at that doc... 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12888462/reviews?sort=userRating&dir=asc&ratingFilter=0

• 1 month later...

Scandal & Beauty - Mark Gatiss on Aubrey Beardsley (2020)

Mark Gatiss explores the life and career of Aubrey Beardsley, an artist who wielded outrage as adroitly as his pen. A lifelong fan, Mark shows how Beardsley was more than just a genius of self-promotion who scandalised the art world of the 1890s. He was also a technological innovator, whose uncompromising attitude still feels remarkably modern.

The programme follows Beardsley’s fevered footsteps from his childhood in Brighton, via notoriety among the decadents of London’s fin de siècle, to his early death in France in 1898 at the age of just 25. Mark argues that the key to understanding this elusive artist is his childhood diagnosis of tuberculosis. The knowledge that he was likely to die young created a prodigious work ethic. Throughout his astonishing but brief artistic career, Beardsley constantly adopted new styles - sometimes reinventing himself every few months.

Contributors to the programme include Stephen Fry, who discusses Beardsley’s illustrations for Oscar Wilde’s banned play Salome, and the illustrator Chris Riddell, who explains the influence of Japanese woodblock prints on Beardsley’s work. Leading scholar and programme consultant Stephen Calloway explains how the new technology of zinc line blocks allowed the artist to use mass reproduction as a tool for publicising his own – increasingly infamous - brand.

Caught up in the fallout of the Wilde scandal, and in failing health, Beardsley’s career took a downturn. But adversity only made him more uncompromising. This was when he created his most unforgettable - and sexually charged – images for a privately published edition of Aristophanes’s Lysistrata, as well as a remarkable depiction of himself as an androgynous dandy.

• Like 1

Can't Get You Out Of My Head is good so far (3 episodes in) a lot to digest there. The Cecil Hotel thing is a piece of fucking trash I wouldn't wipe my arse with. It makes The Masked Singer look like high art. Fuck that bullshit.