IGNORED

Actress - Ghettoville

Redruth

I feel as if we have somehow not resolved anything in this thread.

What do we even have a goddamn forum for, people?!

*slams door*

*Comes back through door after slamming it. Starts thread on Gay Olympics*

Guest bitroast

ok. so i've been listening to this album over the past couple of days and been really getting into it.

discovered just today that i've been listening to it at the wrong speed.

can anyone who has this on record please try listening to it at 45 and tell me that's not the way it's meant to be heard!??

i'm convinced the album is meant to be listened to at 45 but was slowed down and not properly specified as a sort of piss take or something to all the people listening to it and getting worked over it. (similarly, i'm sure his rants about the end of music and ending the actress alias is all just him playing around and taking the piss or something??).

anyway. yeah. i'm going to continue listening to this at 45. !!

It's definitely Actress. Unless both producers are using that exact bell/xylophone-like sound, anyway.

Actress recently said in an interview that he had a version of Ghettoville finished early last year that was much more techno-influenced, but scrapped it because he felt it didn't fit the concept right. Wonder if Levantis is some of that material.

Edited by bubbhasdance

I can't get into this at all despite my best efforts since I like so much of his other stuff. Is it a thing now where if your tracks barely qualify as tracks or even "ideas" to just talk about how abstract it is or you're experimenting with form... Etc. No real meat on these bones imo

I can't get into this at all despite my best efforts since I like so much of his other stuff. Is it a thing now where if your tracks barely qualify as tracks or even "ideas" to just talk about how abstract it is or you're experimenting with form... Etc. No real meat on these bones imo

yeah this... even four albums in he has certainly not proven himself beyond a newbie with a collection of neat ideas. No way in hell he should be going on and on about xenakis being shit and generally sounding like a know-it-all. Think of the ground clark covered in four albums... ending up at turning dragon...

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

ok. so i've been listening to this album over the past couple of days and been really getting into it.

can anyone who has this on record please try listening to it at 45 and tell me that's not the way it's meant to be heard!??

i'm convinced the album is meant to be listened to at 45 but was slowed down and not properly specified as a sort of piss take or something to all the people listening to it and getting worked over it. (similarly, i'm sure his rants about the end of music and ending the actress alias is all just him playing around and taking the piss or something??).

I don't have the vinyl so not sure what speed I am listening at but I'd like to hear the other version. could you choose one track and record it out both ways?

Guest bitroast

I don't have the vinyl so not sure what speed I am listening at but I'd like to hear the other version. could you choose one track and record it out both ways?

sure.

here's the track Our. this is the digital version of the track. ie. if you download it from ninjatune, bleep, boomkat, itunes, etc. the cd, i'm guessing?. or, the album if you play it at 33rpm.

and here's the track played at 45rpm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPjhG9-V2ss

Them Ghettoville tracks on 45 sound a bit weird to my ears but think it’s just cause I’ve listened to it so much at normal speed!

Interesting though and they do kinda work at that speed but I prefer the slow sludgy feel of the originals.

I dunno guys. This just makes me glad I don't IDM anymore other than the occasional AE binge.

In this Thread people have called Actress Vaporwave and IDM.. to me although a little bit of a leftfield 1 and some influences from elsewhere this is still pretty much a straight up Techno album .. Still guess it don’t really matter what pigeonhole we shove it into!

I love this album still cant decide if i prefer it to RIP or not both awesome but such different vibes its hard to compare.