IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

Dear Eugene, what currentish tele is worth watching? Counterpart?

no, counterpart is shit, the writing of that show is akin to some adult man failing real bad at tying his shoelaces and as a result faceplanting hard after walking a few meters.

what i can very cautiously recommend is girlfriend experience s02. it's a very strange show that i don't even enjoy but still kinda fascinated with. i don't even know how to categorize it, but in general terms it's about high end 'tutes, sex and relationships and how they mesh with other spheres like big money, big politics and big crime. there are actually two completely different stories this seasons, different in style, substance and directed by different people, but the erica and anna one is really out there. it feels like it's taking place in some kind of alternate dimension. aesthetically it's drab, grey, hollow and clinical, the interiors are spacious and barely contain any objects. there's almost always a static droning sound in the background. there's a lot of sex and most of it is passionless and robotic. all of the characters are amoral, power hungry, unlikable and just barely resemble irl people, but that kinda makes the rare, tension relieving emotional outbursts all the more brutal and dramatic. it also completely ignores the current liberal feminist discourse, which is quite refreshing. generally i can binge a season in a weekend or two, but this one is taking me months and i still haven't finished with it. it truly operates with some very different parameters than what you're probably familiar with from modern premium tv.

Edited by eugene

that other cop is Coliccio. he assaults a black minister and Carver has to make a call about disciplining him or not.

I think Carver is my favourite character on the show overall.

Ellis Carver seems like an unusual choice when compared to other characters on the show.  I'm curious why he appeals the most.  

Thanks, I've seen some of season one, it was good.

Edited by Gocab

that other cop is Coliccio. he assaults a black minister and Carver has to make a call about disciplining him or not.

Ellis Carver seems like an unusual choice when compared to other characters on the show.  I'm curious why he appeals the most.  

he grows and changes, and I like seeing that over the course of the show. he is a complete dickhead alongside Herc in season 1 and by the end he has matured, become a leader, developed a conscience, grappled with the system rather than just resigning himself to it apathetically, etc etc.

I know most people would go for the more lionised, romantic characters like Omar or Stringer or w/e but... they're exceptional and don't exist in a down to earth sense irl. whereas following an arc of personal growth like Carver does is something many people can aspire or relate to personally.

close second would be Bubbles, for many of the same reasons.

watching the sopranos, i think it moves a bit too fast in the sense that heavy things happen then we dont really see the characters deal with that, the ellipsis between episodes feel abrupt to me. Only 2 seasons in anyway. Otherwise a fantastic series

he grows and changes, and I like seeing that over the course of the show. he is a complete dickhead alongside Herc in season 1 and by the end he has matured, become a leader, developed a conscience, grappled with the system rather than just resigning himself to it apathetically, etc etc.

I know most people would go for the more lionised, romantic characters like Omar or Stringer or w/e but... they're exceptional and don't exist in a down to earth sense irl. whereas following an arc of personal growth like Carver does is something many people can aspire or relate to personally.

close second would be Bubbles, for many of the same reasons.

Fair dinkum! Carver did have a standup character arc, especially after bunny mentored him. I think it becomes even more poignant when you compare where he lands up to where Herc does. Coppers irl could take a page or two out of Carver's book.

Just started watching Justified - wife and I are halfway through Season 2, can't stop watching. Compelling as fuck, Timothy Olyphant basically owns this shit (playing, I guess, a variant of his character from Deadwood). Basically, would watch this just to watch TO being a badass, but the show does a great job with creating characters who are shades of gray (even minor characters). Actually, in some way reminds me of the Wire. 

Tipping point was watching an episode of Hollywood Weapons on Netflix that tested a scene from Justified. That's a good show in it's own right - self-effacing host (ex-sniper) who clearly is just enjoying the job. Premise is he takes famous scenes from Hollywood movies w/ weapons and tests how it would pan out in real life. Sort of like Mythbusters focused solely on weapons - similar tone, lightheartedness, etc.  

Just started watching Justified - wife and I are halfway through Season 2, can't stop watching. Compelling as fuck,

loved Dewey Crowe, his four kidneys skit was sublime but this'll have to do

giphy.gif

Does Succession get good? First ep really good, second and third were not good at all. Most of the characters are dumb-fuck wallopers, but it's not a comedy.....or is it?

This was tons of fun for me. It just ended last Sunday and it's been one of the best shows I've seen in recent memory. It's certainly a refreshing counterpoint to that plodding, insufferable Sharp Objects. I want to bin that shit but I'm too deep now and want to know the answers.

I'm enjoying it more as it goes on. Haven't seen the last ep yet.

20161205-141932%2Bcopy.jpg

amazing show. host by and (for the most first season written by) roald dahl. so good even alfred hitchcock had to "borrow" one of the stories herein for his own show. my wife cannot get enough of this- i personally kinda grew up with this kind of guff back in england but hardly only remember it. 

too good out of nothing comparable

Used to love that show when I was a kid, always wondered if it would be worth rewatching. Theme tune gets me teary eyed with nostalgia.

Sacred Games on Netflix. Excellent Indian cop show set in grimey Mumbai. great music too. I watched in Hindi with subtitles but the English overdubs are way better than any other Asian films/shows with overdubs that i've seen.

Really looking forward to Season 2 now. they better make it!

Just started watching Justified - wife and I are halfway through Season 2, can't stop watching. Compelling as fuck,

loved Dewey Crowe, his four kidneys skit was sublime but this'll have to do

giphy.gif

We got the episode w/ the 4 kidney's bit last night. . . holy fucking lol I almost spit my drink out. . . 

Chris Rock starring in Fargo season 4, set in the 1950s. Hype.

Fargo is easily one of the best series I have ever watched. I always recommend the living shit out of it to people who will probably never watch it. I got my aunt into it though and she agrees it fucking slaps. 

Justified is solid.

Currently rewatching The Leftovers.

Will probably watch Barry asap. Too many things really. Maybe after a season or two of some other stuff I’ll jump in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk