IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSG4HsgHgb6XPWxhEaGN7X

christian "cult" that begins as a weight loss program (literally using the bible as a weight loss program - the more weight you loss. the more religious you prove yourself) then gets into scientology territory. the weird barbie thing on the cover is the illustrious leader who (if you can't tell) is rail thin making her, super religious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nebraska said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSG4HsgHgb6XPWxhEaGN7X

christian "cult" that begins as a weight loss program (literally using the bible as a weight loss program - the more weight you loss. the more religious you prove yourself) then gets into scientology territory. the weird barbie thing on the cover is the illustrious leader who (if you can't tell) is rail thin making her, super religious.

seriously, props to you for being able to sit through some of this stuff. I can't take more than a minute or 2 of watching/listening to people like this. just can't fucking stand these sorts of people. they are the absolute toilet of humanity.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@zero i'm fascinated by cults and how they're able to convince their parishioners to commit absurd, and sometimes, insane crimes strictly to show their loyalty and devotion. 

also, i feel it might be important to add that the documentary is indeed difficult to watch because of how it's been edited. the first episode feels like a summary of the entire story of this "cult", and the other two parts get into the minutia of "the good stuff".

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 11:09 AM, lyst said:

I’ve been told you have to watch at least two episodes until the premise of the show is even revealed.  Maybe you  gave up too quick?

My brother is swearing by this show right now, I might give it a try.   

I went back and finished it after reading reviews, it is pretty batshit crazy

On 10/6/2021 at 2:50 AM, Rubin Farr said:

A good way to close out his Netflix specials, Dave continues to subvert the audience’s expectations, no matter how painful. He’s brilliant at making everyone think he’s retreated into the “angry black man” trope, but that’s the ruse. He talks about himself too much again, but it leads to a poignant ending.

EC81AA49-C5B2-4693-86B5-DC4BF7AFB82E.jpeg

+1. i like how he's worked on the entire show as some kind of two way conversation and always using a single character (in this one, clifford) to help with his through-line, which leads to a tragic conclusion. not sure what the controversy is all about i've been hearing about though

Since Fire and Blood, or at least the earlier chapters, reads like a text book I can only assume the writers will have a lot of freedom as far as dialogue is concerned. There’s a lot of cynicism in the air from fans who got their feelings hurt by the final season(s) of GOT but I think this show has potential. HBO pulling the plug on the other show that was in the works starring Naomi Campbell was likely a good sign in terms of their standards not being met. Color me cautiously optimistic.

• Like 1

I have a feeling it will be all right, but get cancelled because most people don't give a fuck about got anymore, feeling cheated by the rubbish last season(s).

On 10/6/2021 at 5:12 PM, Rubin Farr said:

I went back and finished it after reading reviews, it is pretty batshit crazy

After some further reading, I found out that Midnight Mass is actually a fictional book written within the film Hush (2016) that Mike Flanagan wrote & directed

poster.jpg

i tried watching Castlevania but the first episode just seemed like an info dump and i didn't care about anything happening at all as much as it kept changing. i guess it leads towards anime which i've never enjoyed anway so whatever

i watched The Haunting of Hill House and it was really good. maybe a touch too long, but i guess i'll watch The Haunting of Bly Manor next and see how they do with a different thing.

the new season of the Creepshow series is good and silly fun as expected.

Ted Lasso s2 was overall good but maybe felt like they were trying to just do too many subplots for the sake of it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, auxien said:

i watched The Haunting of Hill House and it was really good. maybe a touch too long, but i guess i'll watch The Haunting of Bly Manor next and see how they do with a different thing.

the new season of the Creepshow series is good and silly fun as expected.

Bly Manor was a bit of a disappointment, IMO but hill house is fucking legendary. I rewatched the series when I learned that there were ghosts hidden in the background of just about every scene and holy shit was it fun as fuck. That episode in the funeral home that was done in like three shots is so unbelievably amazing. There’s a short bts documentary about the making of the episode and how all of the sets in the show were modularly constructed for quick disassembly/reassembly, specifically for filming the long takes of that episode. ?

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Thanks 1

i noticed a couple of ghosts in the backgrounds of the house but certainly not as many as they did! pretty cool. will still Bly Manor a try even if it’s not as good as Hill House. 

i started Foundation and my god is the pace quick, and not in a good way imo. decent enough to keep watching for now tho, i’m sure i’ll have more to say later.

Randomly started watching Schitt’s Creek. It’s very, very funny. Dan Levy character is brilliant, as is everyone else. Starting season 2 today. An excellent discovery ?

• Like 2

This dude is like an American country bumpkin spitting image of my real life supervisor at work. Every time he appears it just cracks me up ? Rarely does a comedy make me laugh so much. 

4A85EB37-D132-4C8E-A1EC-C47989268DED.jpeg

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

Mr. Mercedes - I can't tell if it's good or not, I feel like wanting to know what happens next isn't a good metric for whether a show is good, or maybe it is, i feel like I can't tell anymore, but all the 'this is a Stephen King IP' winks are distracting...

I give it 3 or 4 stars (out of 5 or 6)

I watched these over the past months before sleeping:

Friday Night Dinner (2011-...)
Comedy with Tamsin Greig (Green Wing, Black Books)
"Two siblings share their Friday-night dinners at their parents' home and, somehow, something always goes wrong."
Pretty funny. About family-life. Less surreal.

Avenue 5 (2020-...)
Sci-Fi Comedy with Josh Gad (Olaf), Hugh Laurie (House), and Zach Woods (Silicon Valley)
"The troubled crew of Avenue 5, a space cruise ship filled with spoiled, rich, snotty space tourists, must try and keep everyone calm after their ship gets thrown off course into space and ends up needing three years to return to Earth."
It thought it was quite funny. Silly comedy.

Disenchantment (2018-...)
Adventure Animation.
"Princess Tiabeanie, 'Bean', is annoyed at her imminent arranged marriage to Prince Merkimer. Then she meets Luci, a demon, and Elfo, an elf, and things get rather exciting, and dangerous."
Didn't grab me.

The White Lotus (2021-...)
Drama-Comedy
"Set in a tropical resort, it follows the exploits of various guests and employees over the span of a week."
Quite enjoyable. The family and the head of the hotel are the best parts imo.

Squid Game (2021-...)
Drama-Action
"Hundreds of cash-strapped players accept a strange invitation to compete in children's games. Inside, a tempting prize awaits with deadly high stakes. A survival game that has a whopping 45.6 billion-won prize at stake."
It was ok I guess.

The Office US (2005-...)
Satire-Comedy with Steve Carell (7 seasons)
"A mockumentary on a group of typical office workers, where the workday consists of ego clashes, inappropriate behavior, and tedium."
Really good. (except for maybe the last seasons)

Reservation Dogs (2021-...)
Tragi-Comedy
"Comedy series about four Native American teenagers growing up on a reservation in eastern Oklahoma."
It seems Native American culture and African American culture intermix somewhat. Sorry, I'm totally clueless in that regard.
It was ok.

Sex Education (2019-...)
Drama-Comedy
"A teenage boy with a sex therapist mother teams up with a high school classmate to set up an underground sex therapy clinic at school."
First season is ok. 2nd and 3rd are thrash imo. Different writers I guess, dunno.
I'm not sure if the sexual education is handled any good though, but at least a lot of various things are mentioned.

What We Do in the Shadows (2016-...)
Dark Comedy with Matt Berry (Snuffbox)
"A look into the daily (or rather, nightly) lives of three vampires, who've lived together for over 100 years, on Staten Island."
Silly dark humor. I like the movie more, but the tv series is pretty funny. (except for the last season)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

Avenue 5 (2020-...)
Sci-Fi Comedy with Josh Gad (Olaf), Hugh Laurie (House), and Zach Woods (Silicon Valley)
"The troubled crew of Avenue 5, a space cruise ship filled with spoiled, rich, snotty space tourists, must try and keep everyone calm after their ship gets thrown off course into space and ends up needing three years to return to Earth."
It thought it was quite funny. Silly comedy.

image.png.66dbb935ef249719925acf96b3aa39f8.png

hahaha ok, I'm on board now. At first I didn't quite get the weird filmic quality in the credits but if this is any indication of the amount of creativity and style they are going for, I'm good. Definitely not a carbon copy of the OG, really does feel like they are going for a "spiritual successor" and swinging for it. Having their little argument at the end feels so spot on Bebop too... 

mm, I don't know. not a carbon copy of the original but feels like a different entity, and not in a good way to me.

Spoiler

Edited by usagi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nevermind.

The generic soundstage backlots feel really off. Not a fan of the super flashy "cool" style meets low budget TV serial look. I'll still hatewatch it.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 10:00 AM, Rubin Farr said:

Mind numbingly boring. Couldn't do it.

poster.jpg

I’m watching this right now. So. Good. 
I’m 3 episodes in and (hope I don’t jinx anything) so far I feel like this is almost as good as hill house. Some incredible writing. Totally hooked. ???

• Like 2