IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Wurstwasser is a massive troll

I'm your Wurst Case... ;)

Wurstwasser is an Ae fan from when they appeared on AI and AI2 - but well the great era of IDM is over (to me: IDM mailing list, SLSK, produce Ae clone stuff by ourselves, and all in all being fanatic), lets just face the facts. Still hoping they produce creative stuff.

fine but whatever oversteps was still one of the most original and well-crafted electronic albums of the last few years, and I didn't even love it. If a n00b dropped oversteps I guarantee more journalists would have creamed their pants several times, but to everyone is was just another autechre outing which everyone already knows is incredible.

I mean jesus, autechre might be the most consistent group/musicians/composers to create music for 20+ years. It's mind-blowing really

What I mean to say is that there was really no story for journalists to try and sell. No new "Hudmo" youngster that just dropped a bunch of twinkly bullshit that is the next step in electronic music. It was just autechre continuing on their path carving out more of their own sonic space. Whether you totally grooved it or if it wasn't "IDM" or neither it was still an astonishing release in the context of both the group and the scene in general.

Also I can only really think of Beethoven being possibly more consistent while continually challenging the status quo. And he was over only a *slightly* longer period of time. Good thing booth and brown aren't going deaf like cylob lol

Oversteps was their biggest step in another direction in forever. It's not a favorite of mine, but the fact that they can release something that's such a total surprise after all this time is impressive.

I love Oversteps (except Krylon, FUCKING KRYLON). I mean, I love most of AE's output but it's a brill album imo. The problem is that they've released so much brill material that Oversteps doesn't get above Untilted, Draft, Confield, Quaristice, Chiastic, LP5, Tri Rep.... but pisses from most other artists from a great height.

I know right? Even Incunabula, their weakest album, is up there with Bytes, Surfing on Sine Waves, and all the truly great electronic music of the early nineties.

people like to say incunabula is their weakest, probably because of some of the dated sounds. I think it's great and stands right up there with their best. For me, my fanaticism for the band waned a bit starting with 7.30 (loved the attention to detail but was bored by much of it, musically), sagged a bit more with Untilted, fell off a cliff more or less with Quaristice, but came bubbling back nicely with Oversteps.

Yweyeywey!

No more glitch shit. Give us beats and warm melodies 8)

"Yes, I am a big supporter of what the wattum cognoscenti are calling 'twinkly bullshit'. Rah-ther. I say, I say." *sips tea, pinky out*