literally one of the only other movies I can remember Kate Capshaw / Willy from Temple of Doom being in besides Indiana Jones

speaking of temple of doom and michael douglas, he did two movies which were very similar to indiana jones called romancing the stone and jewel of the nile (the script for the former was written before indiana jones was created despite it coming out after indiana jones and to this day considered an indiana jones rip off)

personally i thought he was completely miscast but since he was producing and has a big ego i doubt he'd have even considered anyone else for the part. also, kathleen turner was kinda like kate capshaw (both in looks and motivation of the character being played)

the original romancing the stone I somehow find really enjoyable all the way to the final alligator confrontation scene at the end (another temple of doomish moment), the 2nd one is a really weird disaster of a plot for the most part.

you ever seen Black Rain?

i have not. would you recommend it?

kinda, Michael Douglas doing Cobra but with a slightly more interesting plot.

Black_Rain.jpg

The movie is basically Michael Douglas VS the Yakuza in Japan, very 80s japan vibes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95-bc1DZovg

literally one of the only other movies I can remember Kate Capshaw / Willy from Temple of Doom being in besides Indiana Jones

That was directed by Ridley Scott believe it or not

Saw Straight Outta Compton over the weekend, excellent stuff, raw enough about the 90s rap game without much nauseating whitewashing of race issues of the time. Can't help but feel Dre comes out way too squeaky clean in the film though.

admitting to crime means doing tha time. Well unless it's in a rap lyric, then you can claim creative licence.

Tyler is gangster rap?

Making music you don't like is illegal?

Maybe one day saying silly things will be illegal, and then you'll be in trouble.

There's a new Brian Wilson biopic out, weirdly it stars John Cusack (also Paul Dano playing the younger Brian), with Paul Giamatti playing his crazy psychologist. Seems to be getting good reviews.

The Nightmare 5/10 - The documentary about sleep paralysis by that guy who thinks his documentaries deserve a cinema release. More glossy gimmicky visual reconstructions and reliance on the word of his subjects to carry the thing. Not good. And not much insight. You'll find better documentaries on TV tonight.

Chappie 8/10 - Very good film. Despite treading so many of the familiar AI themes we are bombarded with (especially this year) i thought the pacing, action and characters were enough to keep it interesting. Enjoyed it. I also thought it was interesting how much it polarized opinion for different reasons depending on the human. The edgy hipster doesn't want to be seen to be manipulated by allegory so shuns anything that could make them vulnerable, believing their negative stance makes them look like an actual film critic going against the grain of pop opinion, a fairly cringey, posturing ethic which has usurped itself and is now cliche. But also some simple minded buffoon's i spoke to today didn't like it because they thought Chappie's voice was annoying and it was silly that he acted like a baby or Hugh Jackman was being a twat. That's the spectrum of dislike for old Chappie. There are also those who thought it was alright, nothing special. I liked Chappie the robot and how he faced the new world learning trust from scratch, i also like that flying Ed-209 thing and those grid bombs it fired out.

blind (www.imdb.com/title/tt2616810/) - that was really great. it's somewhat of a mix of "stranger than fiction" and "synecdoche, new york", but much more intimate and warmer. it may feel a tad gimmicky at times but it's got very good intentions at heart and this device is used with great purpose. in general it feels like a film that your good friend would make, it's just very current and very perceptive. so yeah, it's really one of those where you just sit and watch the very end of the credits, processing what you've just seen.

btw, it's a debut film of the screenwriter who wrote "oslo, august 31" which is also very much worth viewing.

:thumbsup:

M2o25bS.png

amazing documentary- although it really becomes an orgy of information as soon the screen is bombarded with interviews from escobar's family, victim's families, members of los pepes, government officials, interviews with the man himself and intercepted phone calls ordering hits, kidnappings etc.

they somehow still manage to skip a few things (eg. the united states' involvement in creating a search bloc or the confinement of escobar's family at a hotel in downtown medellin). still, this is like having someone shove a book into your brain with a feeding tube

Cocaine Cowboys is a great documentary, focused on Miami and the various latin trafficking gangs that operated there. Shows how the development of the city from sleepy up-market resort community to bustling metropolis was so tied up with the coke money (massive real estate development via laundered cash basically), ridiculous murder rate at the height of it.

A mate of mine lives in Columbia, was telling me the other day that Escobar was nothing compared to the Cali gangs, Escobar got all the recognition due to his public persona, but those guys were serious fuckers in comparison.

Edited by caze

z for zachariah - it's pretty much exactly like the recent "last man on earth" series but completely dried of lols, and that "i'm so indie, serious and important " thing it's got going for doesn't bring any more depth to it.

Edited by eugene

A mate of mine lives in Columbia, was telling me the other day that Escobar was nothing compared to the Cali gangs, Escobar got all the recognition due to his public persona, but those guys were serious fuckers in comparison.

partly true. ecobar was one of the heads of the medellin cartel but the real people in charge (the godfather) was fabio ochoa and his family. the thing about the ochoa's was they disassociated themselves from cocaine (kinda similar to how carlo gambino run the family vs john gotti but all happening at the same time) whereas escobar used this as his main pawn

you're right about cocaine cowboys being good. i can watch it anytime i see it on tv, but have you noticed they now have 2 edits?

Qevef52.jpg

i first watched this film as a kid and there is a scene where one of the main characters best friends stumbles into class high as fuck off drugs, almost falls over knocking over a bunch of chairs before puking in front of the teacher. that scene shocked me as a kid and represented the out-of-control nature the unforeseen, and very post-apocalyptic future, held.

today, that scene seems rather silly though a lot of things in this film did come to pass such as the very shocking idea of metal detectors in high schools and the general fucked up nature of kids in 1999. an incredibly dreamwave type of film

partly true. ecobar was one of the heads of the medellin cartel but the real people in charge (the godfather) was fabio ochoa and his family. the thing about the ochoa's was they disassociated themselves from cocaine (kinda similar to how carlo gambino run the family vs john gotti but all happening at the same time) whereas escobar used this as his main pawn

you're right about cocaine cowboys being good. i can watch it anytime i see it on tv, but have you noticed they now have 2 edits?

Qevef52.jpg

i first watched this film as a kid and there is a scene where one of the main characters best friends stumbles into class high as fuck off drugs, almost falls over knocking over a bunch of chairs before puking in front of the teacher. that scene shocked me as a kid and represented the out-of-control nature the unforeseen, and very post-apocalyptic future, held.

today, that scene seems rather silly though a lot of things in this film did come to pass such as the very shocking idea of metal detectors in high schools and the general fucked up nature of kids in 1999. an incredibly dreamwave type of film

The dreamy introduction with the robotic voice proclaiming free-fire zones makes me hold attention for the next 90 minutes. CODY! CODY! CODY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIeXVfYIsiM

Pam Grier uses her high heels on one man's testicles what's not to like? I tried to watch the earlier version by Lester - Class of 1984 but couldn't get into it as much. I believe that Seattle use to do Class of 1999 tours as the film was shot there.

I hate watching films, just a waste of time

My latest wastes of time were

The second Star trek film (the one with sherlock in). I remember thinking the first film was alright, this one was a fucking major waste of time. Disney land in space. Boring bollocks. The only redeming feature was the sexy dark bird in it. I now that sounds crass but Its true. She's alright. I turned it off about 25 mins from the end, where I'm sure it all got a lot better. But I couldn't care less.

The last Hobbit film. Bland Boring Battle of the Five Armies. Wow. Like Star Trek was Disney Land in Space but this was Disney Land in Middle Earth. Abslolute tripe lol. The only modicum of interest was the appearence of Sauron, which really (as in the first LOTR film) was a bit too fleeting. Generic rehash of the same dna of the LOTR triology. Sad really. Having said that I did watch the lot.

The Blair Witch Project. Not as creepy as it was the first time round when I watched it on release at the cinema (and was staying at an isolated house for the weekend about 2 hours north of Sydney in the bush afterwards, and it real put the chills into me). Seemed a bit silly now and a bit of a joke, but I can't deny the power it had over me the first time. I know if I went walking out at dusk through the woods this weekend that film would stir something in me. That weird looking gargoyle woman they interview who talks about seeing the hairy witch is a bit spooky imo.

Enough ramblings! I love typing when pissed but hate it the next day. Double edged sword mate. Goodnight!

We Are Your Friends - It's not a good film obviously but we all knew that already. It did give me a chance to think about some random things. The title of a snares track came to mind - "You discovered the secret and juiced it for all it's majesty"

there could have been a lot more moral exploration - like the main character says "nobody thinks they're a bad person" - but of course, most of the characters in the film are bad people who believe what they have to believe.

The notion of dancing through the rain, suggested in the big DJ scene at the end is something interesting in dance music - someone I met who is into psytrance said to me that the meaning and the vibe she gets from that music is "times are tough but we're going to make it" - but I wonder if this earnest approach to dance music is a bit out of date and now dance music producers are "juicing the secret" while believing they are good people.

I do wonder if many artists (and people generally) have to find a way to convince themselves that what they're doing is in some way meaningful in order to be able to do it - even if they get there through self deception