7 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

Judas_and_the_Black_Messiah_poster.png

had the same problem with this that i did with blackkklansman in that the film feels irresponsibly small (in terms of budget and set pieces) and comprises of incredibly uneven acting which has a very jarring effect on suspension of disbelief. also- there are a lot of "staged" speeches in an attempt to recreate the historic photos that lends the film it's street cred. 

I enjoyed this, but have read mixed reviews. Where is the bad acting coming from, in your opinion?

33 minutes ago, Extralife said:

I enjoyed this, but have read mixed reviews. Where is the bad acting coming from, in your opinion?

i thought daniel kaluuya was good (not great), lakeith stanfield was okay (not good) and everyone else was medicore at best (eg. the FBI handler). martin sheen's casting as j edgar hoover was laughably terrible. i also felt like a lot of the film had people meeting to inform each other that they were going to or should have a big speech. they would then have the speech and discuss it followed by a brief moment of panic due to someone suspecting they had been infiltrated. this went on for 2hrs

Edited by Nebraska

15 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

i thought daniel kaluuya was good (not great), lakeith stanfield was okay (not good) and everyone else was medicore at best (eg. the FBI handler). martin sheen's casting as j edgar hoover was laughably terrible. i also felt like a lot of the film had people meeting to inform each other that they were going to or should have a big speech. they would then have the speech and discuss it followed by a brief moment of panic due to someone suspecting they had been infiltrated. this went on for 2hrs

Definitely get your point on Sheen. But...I’d say that this movie did a great job highlighting a movement that many people (especially dominant culture whites) in it’s massive audience are only vaguely aware of. 

• Like 1

The Fisher King (1991)
The Fisher King (1991)
"A former radio DJ, suicidally despondent because of a terrible mistake he made, finds redemption in helping a deranged homeless man who was an unwitting victim of that mistake."
I really like this film. Both Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams are great in it. One of my personal favorite Terry Gilliam movies.

12 Angry Men (1957)
12 Angry Men (1957)
"A jury holdout attempts to prevent a miscarriage of justice by forcing his colleagues to reconsider the evidence."
Love this movie. I keep enjoying every minute of it. And it all takes place in just a single room. Superb.

Fight Club (1999)
Fight Club (1999)
"
An insomniac office worker and a devil-may-care soapmaker form an underground fight club that evolves into something much, much more."
It's on a lot must-see lists. I like it mostly for the insomnia part. Both Brad Pitt and Edward Norton are great in it.

Inside Out (2015)Inside Out (2015)
"
After young Riley is uprooted from her Midwest life and moved to San Francisco, her emotions - Joy, Fear, Anger, Disgust and Sadness - conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house, and school."
Although some of the visuals are not that impressive, still one of the better Disney Pixar movies imo, because of the concept and the emotional notes.
Also, Richard Kind (Andy on Curb Your Enthusiasm, Paul on Spin City) voices Bing Bong, the imaginary friend when Riley was a child. lal

35 minutes ago, MaartenVC said:

Although some of the visuals are not that impressive, still one of the better Disney Pixar movies imo, because of the concept and the emotional notes. Also, Richard Kind (Andy on Curb Your Enthusiasm, Paul on Spin City) voices Bing Bong, the imaginary friend when Riley was a child. lal

Really? I thought the concept was great, but the execution was saccharine and sentimental even by Disney standards.

Soul, on the other hand, was pretty good.

1 hour ago, rhmilo said:

Really? I thought the concept was great, but the execution was saccharine and sentimental even by Disney standards.

Soul, on the other hand, was pretty good.

Haven't seen Soul yet. Will certainly give it a watch.

On 2/14/2021 at 10:15 PM, rhmilo said:

Two movies this weekend, both good:

Cutie Honey (2004). Recommendation from the other film thread. Japanese superhero movie. Very silly. Very creative (for instance one of the bad guys is accompanied by a string quartet). Lots of a scantily clad woman (not a typo) to watch. 

Vivarium (2019). Horror flick in which a suburb inflicts psychological torture on a young couple. Literally. Very cool.

Spoiler

I watched Vivarium. I thought it was great, hilarious in parts, some funny dark humor. The entire concept was just so surreal and like my worst kind of nightmare.. being trapped in a isolated repetitious environment to an anonymous entity. Atleast they were there as a couple. The acting was also pretty good. I got some serious Babadook vibes from that kid screaming tho.

glitchposter_1608141981.jpg?d=360x540&q=

silly attempt at a documentary interviewing a bunch of qanon dudes hiding behind anthropomorphic avatars believing we're living the matrix scenario (they even literally say their theory was popularized by the film) and taking philip k dick's words as evidence of their theories. i'm all for discussions about a holographic universe or something similar but this is is daft

• Burger 1

soul: visually pleasing poop. the only things i really liked were terry the accountant and richard ayoade's voice. also, where's the jazz? gimme jazz baby, not 30 seconds sprinkled on top of what's essentially an inside out remake 

this review nails what i think about the script:

Spoiler

Molly Freeman of ScreenRant acknowledged the film's "message about the meaning of life and finding purpose, but it's messy and only made muddier by the questions the movie sets up then fails to answer. The result is Soul loses much of its emotional impact, with the third act playing out more like a rush to the finish line of the story without giving as much weight to the themes and emotional throughline of the film."

also, all the sentimental cheese, the existential/spiritual crap, the unfunniness, the cardboard characters ("22") - not my cup of tea

I watched Coming 2 America so you don’t have to.

Also, what do you call it when Black Americans are using lazy cliches to stereotype sub Saharan Africans?

3 hours ago, rhmilo said:

I watched Coming 2 America so you don’t have to.

Also, what do you call it when Black Americans are using lazy cliches to stereotype sub Saharan Africans?

might check it tonight but didn't see many favorable reviews. also, tracy morgan and leslie jones is guaranteed to bring the score down by default. 

Coming_2_America_release_poster.jpg

damn this was bad. there is a part where everyone is in the loyal dining hall- and the mc calls out en vogue and salt & pepper to perform. at that point, i knew this film had become not just a cliche of itself, but a caricature of what it was attempting to be. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Yeah, I watched that as well. It felt more like watching an all inclusive resorts evening entertainment/variety show than a film. I was expecting some New York/fish out of water stuff, I'm not quite sure what this was other than very strange.

A very long Puma/Pepsi advert maybe.

Edited by Silent Member

The first 10 minutes gave me hope it was funny, but goddamn the filler was so thick it was like they were just killing time til the next sketch. I did appreciate the callback to the Duke Brothers, that was sweet.

dukes.jpg

They PC'ed this one to death. No resemblance to any of the original series plot, can't risk offending those Southern markets where inbred cannibals might be received poorly, no real terror, no sex, no getting high, (i.e. the things that make people get killed in horror flicks). Just an inane storyline hitting all the current beats; cults, antlers, conspiracy theories, and a suckass ending. Avoid this like the plague.

wrong turn.jpg

4It7NfI3FiZuNES7PEpRDcaeZzs-200x300.jpg

it's an understatement to say how big this guy was. i basically grew up hearing how everyone considered him "the greatest football player" and that included people that had no clue how to play football.

what i was unaware of was the political and personal side of pele's life- and this touches on that, but in the end, it's interesting how even the greatest of people, are, just ordinary people. 

• Like 1