@Nebraska that film was discussed on here several months ago and drew a lot of watmm ire. I've never seen it, so can't comment, just attempting to shed light on Tim's reaction

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nebraska said:

@zero thanks. will have to dig thru the comments 

it's ok dude, nothing really matters...?

anyway, i'm gonna watch 4 hours of superheroes... or am i... why not make this a mini-series? ffs...

Edited by Tim_J

On 3/16/2021 at 2:53 PM, zero said:

but that makes me remember probably my most uncomfortable movie watching experience, which was watching Eraserhead in a theatre in Oklahoma, packed with a bunch of church going family types. it was being shown at a local college as part of some free art film Sunday thing, and anything free will of course draw a crowd. sitting right behind me was a family with young kids. there were also a lot of elderly people, the types that had no clue who Lynch is. that made the whole viewing experience so much more awkward, but also somehow Lynchian in a weird way. I remember a lot of gasps and comments being shouted at the screen, some loud snoring even. after it finished, there was supposed to be a Q & A with some professor from the college, but the entire place bailed asap, fleeing in terror lol.

^ This is fantastic, and I legit lol'd when I first read this. Makes me remember my experience w/ Eraserhead. Drove out to meet up with some of my buddies a few towns over and we decided (why? why not) to drink 40's and smoke a ton of some pretty skanky shit. My m8 had brought over his new TV projector to test out so we ended up spending the next 2 hours or whatever watching Eraserhead on the equivalent of a 100 inch screen about 4 feet away from our faces. Total Videodrome YOU ARE IN THE SCREEN type feel. Traumatizing, but Lynch would probably approve. 

Spoiler

• Like 2

Justice League director's cut was kind of an improvement, I guess? It's still a mediocre movie, and now it's waaay too long. Unnecessarily added slo-mo shots, they brood and talk about being the JL for the first 3 hours, and only in the last hour do they really do anything. The stuff at the end is added fluff to bring eyeballs back, there are still plot holes and continuity errors, but it was free. Continuing on with the solo DCEU movies now as if Darkseid never existed is just poor planning from a poorly run studio.

I've been on a roll with some good shit lately:

Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar (7.5/10): I'm ready for more goofy escapist humour after such a clusterfuck of a year and a decade of gritty media.

Dark Waters (8/10): A well-crafted drama (based on real events) without too much flashy bullshit or sentimentality. I found the story so shocking. How is this shit real? 

12 Angry Men (9/10): Loved it, definitely worth the hype. My anxiety was definitely flaring up anytime someone got up from the table or shouted. I wonder how the William Friedkin remake is?

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (7.5/10):  I just read the book and really liked it so I thought this deserved a re-watch. Again, how is this shit real?

Man on Wire (9/10): French tightrope walker who walked between the twin towers. A documentary that feels like a heist film. Everyone in this is very french. Have been meaning to see this one for years based on a few stills and glad I finally did. 

Brigsby Bear (7/10): A bit of feel good retro nostalgia (but more than that). I like how uncynical all the teens in this were, it was refreshing.

American Movie (9/10): Mike is such an inspiring character. I can see myself rewatching this every few years. The 90s feel like 5000 years ago, in a way.

Sound of Metal (8/10): Touching story with excellent sound design. Extra point for the Einsturzende Neubauten t-shirt.

Snyder Cut (likewise spread out over about 3 evenings). Friggin' loved the ever living shit out of it. Had watched Superman and BVS (Extended Cut) recently in advance, there is a definite through-line both narratively and thematically. Really amazed this actually happened, and it makes me lament that we'll probably never see any more of this universe...

I'm a pretty huge Snyder apologist tho - I feel like people that hated the other films in his shared universe would probably hate this 4xs as much.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim_J said:

don't think i can watch that without crying...

I like this new softer side we're seeing of you, Tim. all that back and forth BS with ding was getting really old tbh.

and if you can somehow incorporate "I cry at films about dogs" into your dating app profile, you'll kill it with the ladies.

• Haha 1

nightbeast - pissed off alien beast of the night crashes into earth rock and goes laser mental on the locals. it made it me laugh and smile and the synth score and laser sound was wicked. definately gonna watch some more don dohler films.

Edited by Mindphaser

On 3/23/2021 at 2:26 PM, Silent Member said:

Prepare to be underwhelmed

Yeah, it was alright? Moments of "Event Horizon" style weirdness, but strangely lacklustre.  I found Chris O'Dowd really annoying - basically all of his lines were corny attempts at jokes that fell flat.  If I had to live on a space shuttle with him for 3 years I would have turned way sooner.  Although, I guess that was maybe his characters way of coping with the stress / isolation.

It could have been a much better film.  The tie-ins with previous Cloverfield films were quite sparse, which I guess is obvious given this film started off as completely unrelated and was hi-jacked to be part of the franchise.  Apparently more Cloverfield related films are in the works.  So we shall see.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can't really remember most of it, I think I saw Life shortly after and they've merged into one in my mind. I love that space horror genre though, shame most of the films are so uninspired.