p68134_v_h9_aa.jpg

i remember reading about this kid, and one of the things he vlogged about was how much he thought about death. he said: i think about death a lot. like a lot, a lot. i think about death all the time. that can't be good"

this documentary is about a guy doing just that, so you know it can't be good.

5 hours ago, Nebraska said:

p68134_v_h9_aa.jpg

i remember reading about this kid, and one of the things he vlogged about was how much he thought about death. he said: i think about death a lot. like a lot, a lot. i think about death all the time. that can't be good"

That vhs was somewhat of a rite of passage for just about every metalhead in America in the 80s/90s. A friend of mine rented it in high school and I couldn’t stomach it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J3FF3R00 said:
7 hours ago, Nebraska said:

p68134_v_h9_aa.jpg

That vhs was somewhat of a rite of passage for just about every metalhead in America in the 80s/90s. A friend of mine rented it in high school and I couldn’t stomach it. 

I've never been inclined to watch this type of shit. the common notion of "metalheads" having to be 'ardcunts or krazy twisted klown types is laughable to me, like some perpetual 14 yr old attitude.

a lot of the bits in there are faked, and not being able to distinguish real from unreal, in this instance, strikes me as vile and manipulative. if it were either pure fiction or purely factual/documentative then it'd be one thing, but it deliberately mixes up the two together so that it has no merit either way and is just pure shock content by any means. it's just allowing a troll to fuck with your head, basically.

• Like 3

On 11/28/2021 at 4:33 PM, luke viia said:

I finally watched attempted to watch Prometheus. I made it about 20 minutes in. Absolute trash. I paused the movie after the opening scene and questioned whether I should keep going. Hit play. They start introducing the most ham-fisted stereotypical idiot characters in the world, one by one, and I was done. -12/10

Yep, pretty much this.

Although Prometheus is better than Covenant, so you best not even try to watch that one, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

Yep, pretty much this.

Although Prometheus is better than Covenant, so you best not even try to watch that one, 

God, Covenant was such a shitshow. It somehow completely misunderstands what made Alien/Aliens great horror in the first place. .. a tepid piece of forgettable hogwash. ...

Prometheus: There's a whole thread on this somewhere here but I'll maintain that while Prometheus is an utterly shitty hi-brow sci-fi film, it's actually a pretty great B-movie horror flick. If you go into it expecting things to happen like they do in a crappy horror flick, then the behavior of all the characters suddenly make sense, and the GAPING plot holes don't seem so bothersome. Examples:

Spoiler

- characters decide to boink  seemingly out of nowhere, leaving off monitoring the scientists stranded in some sort of sci-fi storm. In a hi-brow sci flick you're like... this makes no fucking sense? In a B grade horror movie having two characters randomly shag each other just means you know your in the right place, and that one or other of them is probably going to die in a horrible way. Also, leaving your mates in an isolated/shitty situation is, like, par for the course in a horror flick

- a scientist decides to lovingly approach a creature that CLEARLY is going to attack him. Thoughtful sci-fi lovers will decry this as idiocy. B-movie enthusiasts would wonder why a character WOULDN'T go into the dark basement after the lights just went out. 

- The amount of Checkov's guns this flick lays out in the first 1/4 is so hamfisted that every twist/turn is telegraphed a bazillion miles away. Which should irritate the fuck out of you, unless you accept this is (I'll admit, totally unconsciously) playing by horror movie rules and conventions. 

Basically, what I'm saying is that Ridley Scott accidentally made a pretty decent bad horror movie. Just drink/smoke any time some character does something stupid and you'll have a great time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1

17 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

that was during the video nasty era. it's sad to say, but today, this thing would play like an edited version of some news special with the exception of some scenes. 

p13987_p_v8_aa.jpg

this was a bizarre film about the haunting (possession like) fear of premature burial - a role imo best suited for seasoned queens like shannon whirry or shannon tweed but instead remains a challenge for 'all century eye candy hall of famer' brinke stevens.

On 11/28/2021 at 10:50 AM, AnwarAutokino said:

https://omny.fm/shows/chomfm/music-matters-part-1-of-the-beatles-get-back-is-ou/image.jpg?t=1637851229&size=Small

The Beatles - Get Back (2021)

As someone who likes a lot of their music but is by no means a die-hard fan, I still thought this was an amazing watch and I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested to see how those guys came up with ideas, composed and recorded. I particularly liked how Jackson didn't try to force the archival footage into some kind of narrative corset. there's a lot of frustration and boredom in those sessions, and I appreciate the fact that they didn't leave that stuff out to make it a "tighter" viewing experience.

I agree, every minute of it is precious. It does pick up in the second episode. I'm at the bit where they discover Magic Alex's custom built studio sounds like a telephone.

Never been a fan of The Velvet Underground and never will be, but they were interesting and important apparently. This film does a good job of explaining why that may be. Lou Reed =insufferable dickhead. 

velvet-underground.jpeg.webp

Edited by Enthusiast
  • Like 1

EA3AA4FC-A7EE-4953-9CC6-5F72A083D738.thumb.jpeg.4fe0eae85b4cefc29662650758bef29f.jpeg

In this amazing film you will see some footage from the 70’s of the mountaineer who climbed all the 8000 plus metre peaks (which took almost his lifetime). Compare that footage to this crystal clear, razor sharp, super high definition film of the surrounding skies of these mountain kingdoms. Totally mind blowing stuff. Tip top bunch of guys as well.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 4:46 PM, Enthusiast said:

I agree, every minute of it is precious. It does pick up in the second episode. I'm at the bit where they discover Magic Alex's custom built studio sounds like a telephone.

Never been a fan of The Velvet Underground and never will be, but they were interesting and important apparently. This film does a good job of explaining why that may be. Lou Reed =insufferable dickhead. 

velvet-underground.jpeg.webp

I love the velvet underground but something was missing from this documentary. Good stylistically but empty. 

If I wasn't suffering from serious mental issues Id be combing over the Get Back film in total rapture. I downloaded the highest quality rips I could find for the future when I feel better.

• Like 1

Lynch's Dune just popped up on Netflix so I'm going in. Not seen it for ages.

Totally forgot Lynch had a cameo in it. 

Jack Nance, Everett McGill.... It's a twin peaks pre party

Some afterthoughts..... It didn't feel like as much of a cluster fuck as I remember. Maybe I've got spice tinted glasses, or the story is fresh in my head, but I'm now excited for Villeneuve part 2. The messing with Lynch's production is more obvious in the latter parts of the film where so much story is rammed in, for a while if feels like it's not far off the pacing of the new movie. Then bam... Acceleration. Such a shame it was butchered this way as otherwise it's not so bad. 

Edited by Soloman Tump
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

If you want to stay on the dystopian rollerskate genre, try this one, lol

6CDAF7E5-F353-4484-AF60-040A2B9C6E33.jpeg

Amazing film. Haim rivals The Deer Hunter era De Niro, in this prescient piece of social commentary. A scathing surgical analysis of America's inevitable  cultural collapse, set against a backdrop of designer drugs, and rollerblading white supremacists.

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
typo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

Amazing film. Haim rivals The Deer Hunter era De Niro, in this prescient piece of social commentary. A scathing surgical analysis of America's inevitable  cultural collapse, set against a backdrop of designer drugs, and rollerblading white supremacists.

and Nine Inch Nails ?

slumberposter.jpg

watched this because i'm a big fan of the original and tbh, it's not a bad tribute/remake or whatever, but it's somewhat confused about "how to make a good b-movie" as this clearly is trying to be a parody of the slasher genre whilst simultaneously being a cheesy horror film 

The original Slumber Party Massacre introduced my wife to Pony trainers. I think the sports coach was wearing some that caught her eye. She now has multiple pairs of Pony high tops.

20211205_183522.jpg.a0c9100d1a155a5b91fd31e31336c07b.jpg

Nebraska , what are your thoughts on Mindkiller?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1

Did a watch of the extended cut on Netflix, good stuff, but one thing bugged me: blood stains. Tarantino is usually good about being detail oriented, and we saw he knows about cleaning up blood in Pulp Fiction, but this was a plot hole. During the flashback, we see volumes of blood spilled and brains splattered as the residents of the haberdashery are slaughtered, on untreated wooden plank floors. Yet, 2 hours later those floors seem spotless, and they didn’t use rugs on furs to cover the massive blood spills, they’re just gone.

047FC251-6C22-4711-B943-EEBDBD77A2E8.jpeg

• Like 1