The Power of the Dog

Thought it was very good but not spectacular as perhaps I was expecting. Two of my favourite films of all time are westerns so maybe I make the mistake of comparing such films to them. However I really liked the ending and the way that was spun together. Quite a dark film throughout.

Edited by beerwolf

forblove.jpg

one of my co-workers' father owns owned a bookstore that dealt mainly with vintage pulp novels. like old hardy boys or nancy drew books, these pulp books were written "mainly" by authors who needed quick cash and using alias' manufactured by the publisher. but occasionally, someone who really was "gay" got published. 

this documentary is about a few gay women who discovered their true self's after stumbling onto such novels. one of the women is an author who wrote many such novels, while another literally left her hometown for new york (where a majority of these stories were set) "in search of the lesbians".
whilst the women recount their love lives, there's a parallel story running (albeit extremely melodramatic) about an affair between the two birds on the cover (taken from an actual pulp novel that is being adapted on screen).

couple of interesting things i learned from this:

• in canada back in the 40s-early 60s you couldn't have a party/gathering in your house with all one gender otherwise you'd get raided. so these girls would invite 2 gay dudes and tell them to hang out upstairs while they did their thing downstairs. 
  • early relationships amongst lesbians (according to the individuals interviewed) were rather cruel, abusive and tumultuous (mainly due to lack of education).
  • straight women who entertained gay relationships often found themselves in similar situations to the ones they had escape from heterosexual relationships 
  • early butch/femme dynamics were more like master/slave dynamics eg. femmes not allowed to talk to another butch if in a relationship. violations could result in a ground and pound
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Who asked for a prequel to that movie X?

I believe this was filmed simultaneously with X. But yeah... Twitter sure did hype up X quite a lot, huh? 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 10:47 PM, BoaufStroganoff said:

Just saw Nitram

Well balanced, poetic, and with a non-manichean point of view, that movie is almost perfect.

Great recommendation! Fantastic piece of work that manages to avoid all the usual cliches. Up there with Snowtown for me, maybe even better actually.

13 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

this is gonna stink right? I don't trust this waikitikititi and clement dudes... jodorowsky should be the one directing this...

why do people like this guy? i'm yet to see his reservation dogs series but i'm still in confusion why he's a thing.

51+wNbC4MkL._AC_.jpg

this was bizarre. yor isn't from the future (despite what the title says). he's actually from the prehistoric past. so is everyone involved with him. he's also got one of the craziest wigs i've ever seen in my life. yor is out of control.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nebraska said:

why do people like this guy? i'm yet to see his reservation dogs series but i'm still in confusion why he's a thing.

51+wNbC4MkL._AC_.jpg

this was bizarre. yor isn't from the future (despite what the title says). he's actually from the prehistoric past. so is everyone involved with him. he's also got one of the craziest wigs i've ever seen in my life. yor is out of control.

Yor is awesome

This had an almost interesting sci-fi story, killed by too much pointless yammering and dead punchlines, and people expecting to hear Tim Allen. Try explaining the in-universe version of Buzz Lightyear to a 5 year-old child holding his Buzz figure, and why he sounds different. Big marketing mistake.

poster.jpg

spacer.png

The first sequel (prequel, actually) to Predator worth watching. It is a simple story with some classy scripting and conjures up some vibes of the original with all the hunting in the forest. Definitely a fun ride. 

• Like 3

On 8/7/2022 at 5:36 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

spacer.png

The first sequel (prequel, actually) to Predator worth watching. It is a simple story with some classy scripting and conjures up some vibes of the original with all the hunting in the forest. Definitely a fun ride. 

Absolutely terrible. Predator is the perfect action movie with zero substance. It's about characters who don't know what kind of a movie they're in. It's great!
Prey has nothing to say and there's zero suspense because you as the viewer know everything there is to know. It's kinda like the The Thing prequel. Needless.

• Like 2