220px-Theycallheroneeye.jpg

classic swedish revenge story which i previously saw cut. this "uncut" version adds some scenes that i felt weren't really necessary- just more graphic if you weren't already appalled by the storyline

I'm starting to wonder if something's wrong with me. I can barely bring myself to watch any modern movie. like I sift through a lot of titles I hardly recognize on the streaming apps, with some so-and-so actor I do recognize the name of, and it all seems like generic glossy crap. the ones I have watched are all forgettable, like it barely made an impact. I don't want to sound like some elitist film snob, because I'm nowhere close to this. but I really think that there are so many great "classic" films that are deserving of a watch or re-watch, rather than most of the newish stuff out there...or maybe it's that I'm getting old and want to watch something that helps me escape from modern reality. 

anyway, I really liked this one. this is a totally reflective, almost spiritual film not big on dialogue with some excellent 1970's European cinematography. Nicholson is so sublime in this, almost acting monk-like...not anywhere close to his maniacal side we all know him for.

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 9/5/2022 at 2:19 AM, Nebraska said:

Honk_for_Jesus._Save_Your_Soul_film_post

did not like.

Reveal hidden contents

It made me lol. horse orgy, c’mon that was funny.

• Thanks 1

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent.

Liked it way more than I thought I would. Nicholas Cage is excellent at being Nic Cage. Some genuine comedy in the film, but still enough poignancy to make it more thoughtful than not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/9/2022 at 2:45 AM, Rubin Farr said:

Robert Zemeckis mediocrity. Every shot seems composited to death, and the CG looks 20 years old. Tom Hanks can’t sing.

746EA871-71F6-44E4-8F1B-D690FE3BE64E.jpeg

Fuck, Zemeckis made it?! Damn. 

On 9/7/2022 at 12:10 AM, zero said:

I'm starting to wonder if something's wrong with me. I can barely bring myself to watch any modern movie. like I sift through a lot of titles I hardly recognize on the streaming apps, with some so-and-so actor I do recognize the name of, and it all seems like generic glossy crap. the ones I have watched are all forgettable, like it barely made an impact. I don't want to sound like some elitist film snob, because I'm nowhere close to this. but I really think that there are so many great "classic" films that are deserving of a watch or re-watch, rather than most of the newish stuff out there...or maybe it's that I'm getting old and want to watch something that helps me escape from modern reality. 

anyway, I really liked this one. this is a totally reflective, almost spiritual film not big on dialogue with some excellent 1970's European cinematography. Nicholson is so sublime in this, almost acting monk-like...not anywhere close to his maniacal side we all know him for.

spacer.png

I love this movie, the story and the character feel so real and both Antonioni and Nicholson do a great job with it. The whole life crisis tone reminds me of Five Easy Pieces (also starring Nicholson), but this one has that inner sense of melancholy and nihilism very pronounced and very competently (with understanding) presented in the movie form; the man without point in life, finds a possible solution to escape from himself and his life, but gets nowhere. I love that end shot, because although it's the end for him, the life around just goes on like nothing happened. A storm in a tea cup, but to him it was everything or nothing. Very relatable. Too bad Nicholson did not cooperate with auteurs more back in those golden years.

And don't get me started on contemporary movies. I don't even remember what was the latest movie in terms of release date I saw, but I think it might be James Bond Skyfall which we watched with the family of my ex in cinema once upon a time. I just don't care anymore.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cichlisuite said:

I love this movie, the story and the character feel so real and both Antonioni and Nicholson do a great job with it. The whole life crisis tone reminds me of Five Easy Pieces (also starring Nicholson), but this one has that inner sense of melancholy and nihilism very pronounced and very competently (with understanding) presented in the movie form; the man without point in life, finds a possible solution to escape from himself and his life, but gets nowhere. I love that end shot, because although it's the end for him, the life around just goes on like nothing happened. A storm in a tea cup, but to him it was everything or nothing. Very relatable. Too bad Nicholson did not cooperate with auteurs more back in those golden years.

nice analysis man. this is one of those movies that I can't believe I'd never really heard much about it before. I've now read more about it, and apparently it is like one of Nicholson's personal faves of his work. yeah Nicholson was probably not easy to get along with during that era. I read some sort of backstory of Nicholson vs. the studios led it to not get as much distribution as hoped, and kept it out of the DVD market until like the early 2000's.

12 minutes ago, zero said:

nice analysis man. this is one of those movies that I can't believe I'd never really heard much about it before. I've now read more about it, and apparently it is like one of Nicholson's personal faves of his work. yeah Nicholson was probably not easy to get along with during that era. I read some sort of backstory of Nicholson vs. the studios led it to not get as much distribution as hoped, and kept it out of the DVD market until like the early 2000's.

Curiously, the original title was "Il professione: reporter", which in italian means "Occupation: Reporter". Like something i guess an investigator would write into his report about his death. But I like "The Passenger" better, because it implies that he was not in control of his life (not being behind the wheel).

Yeah Nicholson had that "larger than life" attitude problem that probably was the reason he ditched auteur cinema and become a hwood star, because he just wasn't compatible that way with people who develop intimate stories. Idk

On 7/27/2022 at 8:25 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Who asked for a prequel to that movie X?

Great news, Rubin!

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2022 at 8:10 AM, zero said:

spacer.png

jsut watched this, & was blown away. thx 4 recommendation

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

Wwwooooaaahhhh (said in a Bill voice)

I think you meant Ted. 

Speaking of…

Ever since it was announced that Keanu Reeves (The Matrix, John Wick) was cast to star in his first official television series ever, as Daniel Burnham in the limited series The Devil in the White City  for Hulu, we have been waiting patiently for updates.

According to a recent listing in Production Weekly, the series is reportedly scheduled to begin filming in March 2023 and will be filmed in Chicago and Toronto. Exact filming dates and locations have yet to be disclosed at this time. 

Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese will executive produce along with Stacee Sher, Rick Yorn, Emma Koskoff, and Jennifer Davisson. Director Todd Field has signed on to helm the first two episodes.

https://reelchicago.com/article/the-devil-in-the-white-city-sets-spring-production-date-in-chicago/

That book is amazing. I really hope they don’t fuck this one up. 

Watched Ti West’s X last night. Was a big fan of House of the Devil and the Roost though I feel like Innkeepers was kinda dull. The Sacrament and that western flick I liked but wouldn’t have placed them on the same level as HOTD. X, however, is his best work yet imo. Extremely uncomfortable to watch but has great shots and really does appear to be like an unearthed horror movie gem from the late 70’s. Great shots, acting, gore, suspense, etc. Can’t wait to see this prequel.

• Like 1

Recent watches:

Nope - tight, compact, packed full of film references as well as nods to black culture/film - but not shoved in your face. A great balance. Really liked it

Nitram - true story ozzy film.. fantastic acting, chilling stuff. No spoilers just watch - hard to believe it all happened like that but it did

Tenet - mindfuckery  with several explainer vids needed. Great score... man crush on the protagonist... very decent if confusing but I applaud Nolans give-no-fucks vibes

4 minutes ago, phudoshin said:

Recent watches:

Nope - tight, compact, packed full of film references as well as nods to black culture/film - but not shoved in your face. A great balance. Really liked it

Nitram - true story ozzy film.. fantastic acting, chilling stuff. No spoilers just watch - hard to believe it all happened like that but it did

Tenet - mindfuckery  with several explainer vids needed. Great score... man crush on the protagonist... very decent if confusing but I applaud Nolans give-no-fucks vibes

Tenet and Interstellar are fascinating in that Nolan explores manipulating space time in two completely different ways. The Tenet rabbit hole goes deep in some of those videos, my favorite is that Isaiah is both the protagonist and the antagonist.