Dom Hemingway - 5/10 Meandering character. Twas indeed rather silly by all accounts. Law approached it as a character he could get his teeth into, must have looked better on paper. It was also rude.

Blue Jasmine - 8/10 This was really good. I was unsure if i'd like it but I thought it was the best Woody Allen film I've seen since Mighty Aphrodite. Blanchett is immense as you may imagine, all the cast are great...great story, great characters, great comedy.

Her - 6.5 With Phoenix wearing two shirts on top of one another and his trousers up at his stomach I thought this was gonna be hipster hell. He mopes around in a futuristic, technologically saturated America where he has lost contact with the humans around and falls in love with the Windows 8 upgrade. The film explores the themes nicely and make you think ''if i did grow bored of these hipsters, could I connect with my OS when all else fails to suffice?'', it seems out there, and it pushes certain ideas to extremes, but the blandness of the inevitable finale makes 2 hours running time with the moping Phoenix just a little too much.

Nice set design though, he has a cool flat and wooden hipster flat-screen computer monitors.

Jack Smith and the Destruction of Atlantis

moby is that you? seriously though, i just watched moby (last week i think) recommend this film to everyone he knew. he was like "this dude was so artsy his last performance art piece was to get aids and die" i was like "dammm that's artsy as fuck"

preemptive review: i'm gonna watch nymphomaniac today, both parts, and i'm going to like it.

lol is this the first time some one has provided a preemptive review?

i hope there is no follow up for purity sake

Watched Lost Highway a few days ago. Probably the best Lynch movie imho tbh idk. Or... It was good. Nice. Thick, solid, tight.

Yeah, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive are definitely his two masterpieces. If someone was to ask me if I wanted to watch either of those two movies right now, I would do pull off my pants and scream, "YES!"

do you want to watch either of those two movies right now

Searching for Sugar Man 8.5/10 Documentary about some lost legend, and then, etc. Pretty good. Definitely a good watch for artists out there, or for those trying to spread something meaningful, etc. etc. etc. Good watch, and only like 1.5 hour long.

Searching for Sugar Man 8.5/10 Documentary about some lost legend, and then, etc. Pretty good. Definitely a good watch for artists out there, or for those trying to spread something meaningful, etc. etc. etc. Good watch, and only like 1.5 hour long.

Take 'lost legend' with a grain of salt. The guy was pretty huge in the 70's and 80's in Australia apparently, even recorded a live-album there that was completely left out of this doc. Also his first recording was not after he was discovered in 1969, but already in 1967, so it's all a bit myth-building.

Nice doc anyway. I also liked "A Band Called Death" and "Last Days Here" as similar inspirational stories.

Take 'lost legend' with a grain of salt. The guy was pretty huge in the 70's and 80's in Australia apparently, even recorded a live-album there that was completely left out of this doc. Also his first recording was not after he was discovered in 1969, but already in 1967, so it's all a bit myth-building.

Nice doc anyway. I also liked "A Band Called Death" and "Last Days Here" as similar inspirational stories.

Oh thanks for posting this, that documentary pissed me off in a big way for the way the clueless blanc keffers were going on about like they were the only people in the world that listened to him. It was a part of my musical growing up and i didn't live in south africa. I first heard him through the parents of a friend of my brother, they had met him backstage when he came to sydney cause they were uberfans or something.

Yeah, that phoney myth building to sell old shoes to a new generation crap needs to stop. It taints genuine historical perspective and fills the minds of the children with lies.

Nyphomaniac parts 1&2 - Lars/10

Von Trier is a consummate bullshit artist, but that's what makes him so wonderful.

The Sacrament 7.5/10

Does a great job of gradually ratcheting up the dread. Could have done without the found footage nonsense and the weird Vice News angle.

Her 7/10

Lightly over hyped, I think. Overall this joint is still great looking, well acted (aside from Black Widow, of course), and pretty smart.

Edited by doublename

RNj7Sqg.jpg

this documentary tries to give a legitimately fair and candid look into the transsexual and drag queen ballroom dance scene (voguing) and highlight some of the characters involved. and whilst you do feel bad for some, it's almost always undermined by the materialistic and shallow mindset of everyone involved. example: one of the transsexual woman wants to be "a rich spoiled white girl" because "they get what they want".

I'm a huge Shirow fan, so any new adaptation of his is welcome news, but goddamn if it doesn't look like they modeled Knute's face off of Miley Cyrus? Shinji Aramaki always delivers so here's hoping...

And yes that's Skrillex ugh

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

Neighbors

I lolled some. Probably should have been funnier but for a sunday afternoon it was alright.

I mostly laughed at the physically comedy moments rather than the rogan improv stuff which was tired in places

Edited by Jimmy McMessageboard

Neighbors

I lolled some. Probably should have been funnier but for a sunday afternoon it was alright.

I mostly laughed at the physically comedy moments rather than the rogan improv stuff which was tired in places

ha! i fell asleep during the screening. it was mostly a mixture of me being uninterested, unentertained and genuinely unamused.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

Neighbors

ha! i fell asleep during the screening. it was mostly a mixture of me being uninterested, unentertained and genuinely unamused.

the improv(?) stuff between dave franco and zac efron was mostly awful. but then again I am of age to sympathize with the family next door to the frat. no-one in my screening seemed to cheering for the frat though. or laughing much.

Watched Lost Highway a few days ago. Probably the best Lynch movie imho tbh idk. Or... It was good. Nice. Thick, solid, tight.

Yeah, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive are definitely his two masterpieces. If someone was to ask me if I wanted to watch either of those two movies right now, I would do pull off my pants and scream, "YES!"

do you want to watch either of those two movies right now

Oh man, I totally would if it wasn't because I was lying in my bed.

I matched Godzilla earlier today at a pre-screening. No monster movie will ever have a great story, so don't expect anything that'll blow you away. At least the movie actually tries to come up with an okay story, so I'll give it that.

But the vfx and sfx are what make this movie. Those monster sound effects are probably the coolest sfx I've heard in a loooooong time.

The action is sparse but when it happens...it happens. And it's pretty good.

7/10

Jodorowsky's Dune - Jodorowsky/10

Only bummer is that this made me think about all the great art that--for one reason or another--was never made.

(Michel Gondry just gave up on making Ubik...maybe in 40 years I'll get to see what that would've looked like)

Let the Fire Burn -

Holy fuck this is history that has been swept under the rug. AND IT IS ENRAGING!!!! Fuck the pigs.

Everyone should watch this.

If you have no idea about the MOVE organization or what happened to them in 1985 in Philadelphia, you should know.

Jodorowsky's Dune - Jodorowsky/10

Only bummer is that this made me think about all the great art that--for one reason or another--was never made.

(Michel Gondry just gave up on making Ubik...maybe in 40 years I'll get to see what that would've looked like)

Goddamn, didn't even know Ubik was in the making... Too bad!