[snowpiercer]'s pretty wacky and off the rails (yeeaahh_meme.png) in a very much korean way. i liked that quality of constant wtfness.

this is exactly what I don't like about it. I've hardly ever been able to enjoy Korean movies for this very reason, they're all OTT ridix.

[snowpiercer]'s pretty wacky and off the rails (yeeaahh_meme.png) in a very much korean way. i liked that quality of constant wtfness.

this is exactly what I don't like about it. I've hardly ever been able to enjoy Korean movies for this very reason, they're all OTT ridix.

really? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374546/

really? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374546/

this looks interesting, will check it oot

NcVF4TY.jpg

whoa! really good documentary. i loved the fact that someone finally explained what the hell scientology is all about. every video/explanation i'd seen thus far was vague and always used vocabulary in a way that made no sense, but when you watch this they pretty much tell you what it is and then you realize why they do that (not tell you what it is): as one character explained "if they gave you the whole story in the beginning, you'd say hang on.... that's rubbish".

also, i kept thinking david miscavige looks like a cloned tom cruise

qJZO9Xa.jpg

sly stallone decides to go into a sealed tunnel to rescue a bunch of non-appreciative-argumentative dipshits from sure death (read as: typical new yorkers). about 2/3rds from the end the dipshits becoming maniacally close and suddenly can't stand when one of them dies. not your typical disaster movie in it's small scale of disaster, but typical in it's over-the-topness and unintentional hilariousity

seriously snow piercer was awful... like so bad. but there is great korean cinema. bong joon's last movie before snow piercer is one of the best movies i've seen in years: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1216496/

was on netflix streaming for a while but i think it's been removed. think it might still be "free" with amazon prime tho.

NcVF4TY.jpg

whoa! really good documentary. i loved the fact that someone finally explained what the hell scientology is all about. every video/explanation i'd seen thus far was vague and always used vocabulary in a way that made no sense, but when you watch this they pretty much tell you what it is and then you realize why they do that (not tell you what it is): as one character explained "if they gave you the whole story in the beginning, you'd say hang on.... that's rubbish".

also, i kept thinking david miscavige looks like a cloned tom cruise

Really great documentary!

^ awsm !

rcntly seen: 'grizzly man' 2005, dir. werner herzog; a doco on the life & death of a gung-ho bear enthusiast, :trashbear: /10

& 'jodorowsky's dune' 2013; another doco - on the attempt by dir. alejandro jadowrsky 2 make dune in early 1970's w. a team of legends /10

Lost In Translation. still love it.

for some reason the way the colorisation/grain contributes to the feel of the movie, especially in the final scenes as the cab is on the way to the airport, combined with the music, just really works perfectly.

edit: I watched it with my parents. my mum liked it, my dad was like "nothing happened".

Edited by usagi

Lost In Translation. still love it.

for some reason the way the colorisation/grain contributes to the feel of the movie, especially in the final scenes as the cab is on the way to the airport, combined with the music, just really works perfectly.

edit: I watched it with my parents. my mum liked it, my dad was like "nothing happened".

haha, same thing happened when i showed it to a friend who isn't that into film anyway. I got him to watch it because theres some My Bloody Valentine in the soundtrack

Antarctica: A Year on Ice - really pretty pictures, but it's just sooo frustratingly shallow, artless and family entrainment-like, and the music has exactly the same qualities. it just seems more like an infomercial than cinema. the immediate comparison is hertzog's Encounters at the End of the World, and it's just superior in every way.

my dad was like "nothing happened".

"but Baba, Scarlett's ass"

lol I'd forgotten about the opening. perhaps you are aware of how brown families react to nudity/sexual content in movies. if not, this is an accurate representation:

no-words-homer-into-brush.gif

lol

Reminds me of a colleague recounting to me how a cinema wouldn't let his sons in to a 15 rated film featuring the usual violent carnage (think it was a Seany Penn fillum) so he had to take them to Jupiter Ascending instead.

He was outraged that JA had a shot of a naked lady's bum in it and told his kids to look away (I think they're like 11 an 13).

people being pistol whipped/shot/stabbed = fine

partially naked lady = :wtf:

well, seeing a person get shot in the face doesn't confront you with notions of your own sexuality, so why not! violence a-ok, pplz getting freaky not ok :cisfor:

I just got done watching Side Effects. fuck. ing. hell.

the essence of the plot is not something that hasn't been seen before. however the fact that it's been transposed onto a situation that I - and, I assume, many other WATMMers who have psych issues/take meds - am intimate with, makes this a lot more fucked up than it would otherwise be. I found it pretty disturbing viewing.

edit: really good though, I liked it a lot. I love Soderbergh's style, it's never exaggerated or pompous, just quietly diligent and slick.

Edited by usagi

well, seeing a person get shot in the face doesn't confront you with notions of your own sexuality, so why not! violence a-ok, pplz getting freaky not ok :cisfor:

I just got done watching Side Effects. fuck. ing. hell.

the essence of the plot is not something that hasn't been seen before. however the fact that it's been transposed onto a situation that I - and, I assume, many other WATMMers who have psych issues/take meds - am intimate with, makes this a lot more fucked up than it would otherwise be. I found it pretty disturbing viewing.

edit: really good though, I liked it a lot. I love Soderbergh's style, it's never exaggerated or pompous, just quietly diligent and slick.

I hated the ending in Side Effects. It is absolutely illogical. Spoilers ahead:

Ok, I get the fact that a person can't be tried for one crime twice, so Rooney's character won't go to jail. But everybody now knows that she faked her mental illness, right? I mean, she framed Catherine Zeta Jones, yes? So the law must know the true story now. But no, let's throw in the revenge ending where Jude Law still gets her confined in a mental institution, even tho it was proven she was sane. WTF?

seemed to me like a) the law wanted to have her confess and still have her punished somehow, and b) for someone to be that stone-cold crazy/self-obsessed/manipulative/evil would be grounds enough to be admitted to some kind of psych ward or correctional facility. but yeah, it was a bit too convenient.

serious points to Rooney for pulling off probably one of the most insidious psychos I've seen onscreen in recent years. I think this movie really suckerpunches you in the sense that it sets you up expecting the story to be played out a certain way - i.e. the depression/mental health angle, lots of empathy for Rooney's character - and then totally switches up. unfortunately some of the realism also goes out the window when it does.

i thoroughly enjoyed side effects.

7 fast 7 furious...

rock driving an ambulance into a drone, ripping the drone's minigun off and shooting down a military helicopter/10

i could literally feel my brain cells dying

Edited by juiceciuj

i thoroughly enjoyed side effects.

7 fast 7 furious...

rock driving an ambulance into a drone, ripping the drone's minigun off and shooting down a military helicopter/10

i could literally feel my brain cells dying

They sure tried to make you cry before you left the theater.

yeah there were loads of people actually crying. i guess as far as that whole thing goes it was handled as well as it could've been. that whole paul walker in memoriam thing was probably the best part of the movie