What happened in your life that you would expect me to read that

Hah, they're just rambling thoughts over the last year for my letterboxd. I usually check this thread for any reviews of films I've recently seen, always those opinions before professional reviews. So that's its purpose, offering thoughts on a film someone might be keen to read another viewpoint on, now or in the future. Just because they're long reviews doesn't mean I think they're any good !

My account is going to be suspended through inactivity and not donating, so i thought i might as well put up the lot. Like; noooo, I'm not inactive, it's just not really possible to be really frequent on multiple forums ! I'm disillusioned with electronic music and, living in England, I've spent more time on a British forum that focusses more on all the UK politics around the EU referendum, and before that the general election.

The Finest Hours - Disney-fied retelling of historical boat rescue, when two oil tankers cracked in half on the same day.  Pretty mushy at the end, and they tried to make the worrying girlfriend into some kind of feminist hero, bc she had the nerve to walk into a room, and then talk to a man!  Scandal.

Bridge of Spies - kinda boring even for Spielberg, U2 spy plane was shot down in 1957 over USSR, so Tom Hanks to the rescue.  It was cool to see them building the Berlin wall, and what a calamity that was.  Thanks God we had David Hasselhoff.

I've been looking in to 70s paranoia, films like Three Days of Condor, Klute, The Parallax View Three Days of Condor (6.5 / 10) reminds me of another film by the same director, Network, in that both have interesting and fascinating stuff in them but the whole is so,ewat less than the parts ... especially the director seem to lack experience or understanding of relations between men and women, the romantic element is very crappy ---

THe PArallax View (9/ 10)-- unexpectedly ( to me) strong, done in "formalist" manner like a cross between Kubrick and Hitchcock, striking cinematography, an excellent unsettling score ... feast for the senses -- ART

Klute (9/10).: same cinematographer and composer as above, plus Jane Fonda's great, convincing performance as a high class call girl/hooker

I've been looking in to 70s paranoia, films like Three Days of Condor, Klute, The Parallax View Three Days of Condor (6.5 / 10) reminds me of another film by the same director, Network, in that both have interesting and fascinating stuff in them but the whole is so,ewat less than the parts ... especially the director seem to lack experience or understanding of relations between men and women, the romantic element is very crappy ---

THe PArallax View (9/ 10)-- unexpectedly ( to me) strong, done in "formalist" manner like a cross between Kubrick and Hitchcock, striking cinematography, an excellent unsettling score ... feast for the senses -- ART

Klute (9/10).: same cinematographer and composer as above, plus Jane Fonda's great, convincing performance as a high class call girl/hooker

Have u seen this?  Classic

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075765/

Have u seen this?  Classic

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075765/

thanks for the tip ... 

Both Pakula and Frankenheimer made "paranoiac trilogy" Fankenheimer  "The Manchurian Candidate" ,"Seven days in may", "Seconds"

Pakula: Klute, The PArallax View, All the Presidents Men ...

Seven Days of May and All the Presidents Men   I'm gonna watch next I think.

"Seconds" is truely a great and creeepy and disturbing movie BTW ...

from a user review

"Seconds" is a fascinating and engrossing realistic fantasy tale that deals with the question of the identity and above all, the exploration of madness symbolized by the search of material happiness and the search of eternal youth which leads to the most claustrophobic fate. ... The innovative and the post-expressionist cinematography of James Wong Howe (the use of the 9.7 mm fish-eye lens, extreme chiaroscuro, tilted low angle shots, hand-held camera shots) combined with the stylish graphic work of Saul Bass and a cold, taut and harsh music of Jerry Goldsmith makes it like a Faustian tragedy with a Kafkaesque approach. The whole film is about distortion. The twisted vision of the main character trapped in his own nightmarish world, full of "re-borns" and "employees". But the real nightmare is the dreary routine of his existence. ... Perhaps, the best film directed by John Frankenheimer and the best paranoiac film ever created. "Classic" is a weak word to define this masterpiece of modern terror. "Seconds" is the last film of the John Frankenheimer's paranoiac trilogy, without forgetting : "The Manchurian Candidate" and "Seven days in may".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060955/

Watched Virtual Nightmare (www.imdb.com/title/tt0244290) apparently based on a Pohl short. 4D database with human exploration. 

Booksarethefuture/10

Society - the Yuzna one, everyone mentions the ending but the incestious family relationship has to be one of the best on film, as it would have have been true if this had been a real life documentary shot 100 years earlier. 

RolfHarrisLovesSociety/10

dr strange was awful. the setup was preposterous. the only redeeming quality was the architectural/fractal vfx but whenever they tried to show a person moving within them it looked like the matrix reloaded. theguyfromlawandorderplayingbasketballwithmagic/10

rewatched luc besson's lucy w/the wife last nite. better than i remembered (and it surprised me in theatres by being better than the steaming pile of shit the trailer made it look like). scarjoisa10/10

does The Conversation (1974) fit the bill?