Watched The Neon Demon yesterday, mostly because of all of you talking about it a month ago or whatever. It was decent overall, but I don't think I'd recommend it to most or rewatch it. It took a bit to pull me in but by midway I was all for it. But then it just went south, sharply towards the end imo. Last ten minutes or so just seemed tacked on and it lost all its power with that. The music, though generally pretty great, also seemed to lose its interest in the final third or so. Some interesting imagery sprinkled throughout though, I'll give it that. Pretty movie.

Elle

I don't know how to feel about this movie? I liked it, but it was also very... French... in that absurd way where you don't really understand the main character's actions. Or maybe you do but you don't want to know that you understand why she does the things she does.

Anyhoo, the first half of it reminded me of Caché, but then it spiraled out of control and became fairly humoristic again in an absurd way only to return back to its previous form. I think I might have to watch it again to make up my mind about it.

I don't know/10

...made by paul verhoeven, the guy responsible for robocop, total recall, showgirls and other classics.

i haven't even seen but it's already in my top 5 films from 2016.

Edited by eugene

you either love or hate French movies, there's no in-between. if Elle is anything like Amelie, I don't want anything to do with it.

It's about a woman who gets raped.

lol

edit - it actually sounds p innerestin' though

Edited by doublename

...made by paul verhoeven, the guy responsible for robocop, total recall, showgirls and other classics.

i haven't even seen but it's already in my top 5 films from 2016.

You're forgetting Starships Troopers. Never forget Starships Troopers.

you either love or hate French movies, there's no in-between. if Elle is anything like Amelie, I don't want anything to do with it.

It's about a woman who gets raped.

lol

edit - it actually sounds p innerestin' though

It is!

Snowden

It's cool. You get to know more about his personal life and what led him to do what he did etc.

The love interest part was fucking annoying through out the whole movie though imo such a waste of a character.

But it's cool.

6.5/10

The Conversation is  indeed a great 70s paranoid classic .... also it can be seen as related to 60s Antonioni's Blow Up and de Palma's 80s Blow Out .... or did I get names wrong? It could be an interesting maraton session to watch them all three back to back

The Conversation is indeed a great 70s paranoid classic .... also it can be seen as related to 60s Antonioni's Blow Up and de Palma's 80s Blow Out .... or did I get names wrong? It could be an interesting maraton session to watch them all three back to back

The FFC audio commentary on The Conversation is amazing btw

Dude is brilliant

41SB7P8A9CL.jpg

HBO did a special on 2 interviews conducted with richard "iceman" kuklinski in the 80s where he details about being an ice-cold hitman for mob as well as a classic loose cannon and all round psychopath. this guy was the real deal.

nine and a half dismembered corpses out ten

Hell or High Water 8.8/10,  War Dogs 7.8/10, The Big Short 7.4 (not as good as Margin Call).The Nice Guys 8..2/10

Shane Black, I miss you man. What's goin on with The Predator?

That's Sexploitation!

Docu about the history of Sexpolitation in America, directed by legendary exploiteer' Frank Henenlotter. Pretty enjoyable and easy watch, interesting to hear the background and various genres that emerged from simple skin flicks

wall-to-wall tits/10

cf8e965758ed94d7c4fa0d8334c84e48.jpg

andrew is a kid at a music conservatory who wishes to make core in the school band playing drums. only problem is the music director/teacher is a maniacal abusive, power hungry asshole that likes to push people to their breaking point. but this movie takes things to the next level. this band is the marines and the drummer should be like rambo- playing drums until he's bleeding and surviving car accidents not to be late for competitions. i'm surprised there was no electrocution torture scene (or was there in the dvd special features?)

anyhoo- i enjoyed the film because of the swinging jazz music and the sweet solo at the end but get the fuck-outta here: isn't music supposed to be fun?

six and half sweaty drum sticks out of ten