The Conversation is fuckin immense

Bridging the paranoid & electro-acoustic madness of pastoral strangeness is The Shout (with Alan Bates)

wish there were more contemporary releases that could capture the moods of those above

The Conformist incorporates themes of paranoia but is different again....the interior building shots frame the soul-less architectures brilliantly

Goddamn, the Conversation is a true fucking masterpiece

Just really a perfect film

That last scene gives me shivers it's so goddamn perfect

The 'New Hollywood' films were so good with ambience and pacing

The ADHD-ness of most contemporary films is kinda nauseating by contrast

Wish Netflix would get itself more of a 70's fetish

I got another DVD when I bought Weiner, from the same distributor 'dogwoof films'.

It's called We Live in Public, about a now forgotten dotcom millionaire called Josh Harris. Found out afterwards it's on Youtube doy :fail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LexyO9RMzs0

Really good and interesting, watch it.

I also watched This Film is Not Yet Rated and remembered 1/4th of the way through that I'd already seen it, still entertaining.

Then I tried to watch for the third time this and fell asleep again. All I see is positive reviews of this but the first ten minutes is garbage and the next ten minutes are boring garbage and then I fall asleep. Might try and put it on again today....

Leviathan (2014)

Genious film about a guy living in Russia that gets victim of Russian oligarchy. Originally financed by Russian culture institutes this film later upset Russian officials because it shows the shady sides of their country. Amazing pictures and a long and dark story that unfolds like a 1000 page novel. Very recommendable

weiner-poster-285x423.jpg

this was a really good documentary. i'm usually not into political films but (mainly) because of the last election i guess i have an interest in the subject now. basically, you get to follow anthony weiner around as he campaigns for the position of mayor of new york after his embarrassing sexing scandal and you get to witness his second embarrassing 'carlos danger' scandal.

in a way, this documentary reveals the hypocrisy and a strange maniacal need for power and control that makes it hard to sympathize for the main characters (except his weiner's wife humma)- at one point these two are just making calls to people they haven't talked to in months inviting them to $800/seat parties. 

it's hard to know what to think because it's like watching a prick deal with assholes all under the guise of helping you/us

The_BFG_poster.jpg

wow this was terrible. what the hell was spielberg trying? i think he stayed loyal to the story (read it when i was a worm in jr high) but something about it just didn't work. it seemed too childish and felt like nothing really happened- except meeting the bfg and going to giant country. otherwise, what else? 

nice to see penelope wilton but she's completely wasted as the bumbling buffoon of a queen randomly just going along with whatever is presented to her.

competely and utter waste of time

Jason Bourne - worst in the series so far, and basically just a set up for yet another sequel. I always wanted to see a prequel exploring Jason and Nicki's relationship before the amnesia, but this pretty much put a nail in that coffin, and Damon looks way too old to be in a prequel. I couldn't count on two hands the number of plot holes in this movie, and it was pretty much pointless to the series.

The_BFG_poster.jpg

wow this was terrible. what the hell was spielberg trying? i think he stayed loyal to the story (read it when i was a worm in jr high) but something about it just didn't work. it seemed too childish and felt like nothing really happened- except meeting the bfg and going to giant country. otherwise, what else? 

nice to see penelope wilton but she's completely wasted as the bumbling buffoon of a queen randomly just going along with whatever is presented to her.

There's maybe a tolerable short film in there, I watched it while browsing the internet, my new worst habit, but that didn't mean i couldn't engage, it was nice as background then became annoying. The 1989 cartoon is 88 minutes, this is 117 minutes. I didn't think he'd make something after War Horse which I disliked more, but that film was more watchable despite its Hovis advert aesthetic. I don't think kids will find BFG enchanting, it's never funny or interesting beyond the opening. I'd think they'd get restless.

Hunt For The Wilder people

This is wonderful, within 20 seconds -as it basically begins as Housebound does- I was sold on the film, and like that film it wrings as much comedy from every character that pops up. I wouldn't know what defines New Zealand comedy, but the depiction of the police or child protection services in these two films i find so effortlessly funny. Always this clash of personalities, of those too intense, and those too blasé, of those who talk too much, and those too cool to talk.

8...probably my film is of the year so far. I haven't watched anything dramatic or much foreign stuff yet (always just stick to what's easy unfortunately). Of all that I've seen, i'm not fond of this year. 

Supersonic

Thought I'd watch this, I'd seen Amy and Montage of Heck recently, about a woman and a man (respectively) and thought I'd give this a go about two men who were brothers and sang songs. 'Oasis' had completely passed me by, I have no idea how, I guess I was too immersed in videogames in the 90s and my parents had banned Top Of The Pops in the house? I dunno. You get a real insight into how stupid they are when they're being filmed dossing around trying to one-up eone another, the brothers equally envious of eachother. He can write but I can sing but I've lost my voice and he's started to sing I'm going to find a pen and some paper and start scribbling away or else I'm stood there with a tambourine.

Of course I'd heard of Oasis. They were the biggest band in the solar system in the summer of 96. I just thought I'd try to pretend to not know of them, give it my all, live it large, live for the day. I did know of them and always found them dirge. You listen to Live Forever and do think; great song! You listern to Wonderwall and think; great song! And so on. Great in an anthemic sense, but still ...dirge. Same mid tempo dirge, anonymous drumming, anonymous guitars, anonymous bass, bland empty lyrics and overrated vocals. There's something there despite all that.

I didn't connect with Oasis, no one ever told me not to look back in anger. I've never smoked. I went to Maine Road football ground once, but support Man United. Erm. I have two brothers. I grew up in Manchester. We fought over how could you delete my Perfect Dark save file?

The modern day Noel is funny, probably the best interviewee out there. The footage in this film is insane how it provides video for nearly every bit of narration. It's all very seamless, with drawings and newspaper cut outs filling in the gaps, this is the standard for the music documentary now, allows you to be fully immersed in their world at the time, so you never pull away and see them as they are now...mostly the same, but less pale.

When Noel talks about phoning home to ask about Liam being in a band and there's the, or a moment captured where Noel's brother is like; 'mam! Noel is on the phone'....with some footage of Noel talking on the other end, that's one of cinema's highlights this year.

It is good, I just don't get Oasis.

7 tho !

The_BFG_poster.jpg

There's maybe a tolerable short film in there, I watched it while browsing the internet, my new worst habit, but that didn't mean i couldn't engage, it was nice as background then became annoying. The 1989 cartoon is 88 minutes, this is 117 minutes. I didn't think he'd make something after War Horse which I disliked more, but that film was more watchable despite its Hovis advert aesthetic. I don't think kids will find BFG enchanting, it's never funny or interesting beyond the opening. I'd think they'd get restless.

Hunt For The Wilder people

This is wonderful, within 20 seconds -as it basically begins as Housebound does- I was sold on the film, and like that film it wrings as much comedy from every character that pops up. I wouldn't know what defines New Zealand comedy, but the depiction of the police or child protection services in these two films i find so effortlessly funny. Always this clash of personalities, of those too intense, and those too blasé, of those who talk too much, and those too cool to talk.

8...probably my film is of the year so far. I haven't watched anything dramatic or much foreign stuff yet (always just stick to what's easy unfortunately). Of all that I've seen, i'm not fond of this year. 

Supersonic

Thought I'd watch this, I'd seen Amy and Montage of Heck recently, about a woman and a man (respectively) and thought I'd give this a go about two men who were brothers and sang songs. 'Oasis' had completely passed me by, I have no idea how, I guess I was too immersed in videogames in the 90s and my parents had banned Top Of The Pops in the house? I dunno. You get a real insight into how stupid they are when they're being filmed dossing around trying to one-up eone another, the brothers equally envious of eachother. He can write but I can sing but I've lost my voice and he's started to sing I'm going to find a pen and some paper and start scribbling away or else I'm stood there with a tambourine.

Of course I'd heard of Oasis. They were the biggest band in the solar system in the summer of 96. I just thought I'd try to pretend to not know of them, give it my all, live it large, live for the day. I did know of them and always found them dirge. You listen to Live Forever and do think; great song! You listern to Wonderwall and think; great song! And so on. Great in an anthemic sense, but still ...dirge. Same mid tempo dirge, anonymous drumming, anonymous guitars, anonymous bass, bland empty lyrics and overrated vocals. There's something there despite all that.

I didn't connect with Oasis, no one ever told me not to look back in anger. I've never smoked. I went to Maine Road football ground once, but support Man United. Erm. I have two brothers. I grew up in Manchester. We fought over how could you delete my Perfect Dark save file?

The modern day Noel is funny, probably the best interviewee out there. The footage in this film is insane how it provides video for nearly every bit of narration. It's all very seamless, with drawings and newspaper cut outs filling in the gaps, this is the standard for the music documentary now, allows you to be fully immersed in their world at the time, so you never pull away and see them as they are now...mostly the same, but less pale.

When Noel talks about phoning home to ask about Liam being in a band and there's the, or a moment captured where Noel's brother is like; 'mam! Noel is on the phone'....with some footage of Noel talking on the other end, that's one of cinema's highlights this year.

It is good, I just don't get Oasis.

7 tho !

Oasis were the Status Quo of the 1990's, but with bowl 'ead Mancunian haircuts and louder amps

i subconsciously sort of frown & judge folks who like(d) them, cos there was so much better music around @ the time

plus never forgiven the cunt for this:

gallery_noel-gallagher-tony-blair.jpg