Don't Breathe

These types of films usually never get it right, but this one does. It pulled off the suspense really well for most of the film and was worth watching, even though the jump scares and outlandishness got kind of repetitive towards the end. The great cinematography helps. Plot's got more holes than Swiss cheese, but you don't really want to care about that, do you?

Enter the Void

That was the trippiest film I've ever seen. It was disturbing, dark, psychedelic and beautiful. I give it 10 out of 10. Strongly recommended!

edit: music was also brilliant

I need to rewatch that. So good!

Do you have an idea on the meaning of the film?

My take on it is that the "void" is actually life itself. When you're born you're "entering the void". That's why the world is portrayed as such a senseless, meaningless terrible place where all that matters is sex and violence which is how the real world really is.

It all makes sense with the scene at the end. That's why you can't really see the face of the mother, her identity is irrelevant, it's just a metaphor to "entering the void".

I could be wrong but that meaning suits me the best so I'm gonna stick with it lol I'm curious of what you thought of it.

My take on it is that the "void" is actually life itself. When you're born you're "entering the void". That's why the world is portrayed as such a senseless, meaningless terrible place where all that matters is sex and violence which is how the real world really is.

It all makes sense with the scene at the end. That's why you can't really see the face of the mother, her identity is irrelevant, it's just a metaphor to "entering the void".

I could be wrong but that meaning suits me the best so I'm gonna stick with it lol I'm curious of what you thought of it.

the entire film was him dying (maybe not from the very start, can't remember exactly), his actual experience of dying. So the void he was entering was death not life. From a buddhist perspective they may not be that different or whatever though, obviously there's the rebirth angle via the Tibetan Book of the Dead. But that might have all been in his head as well, because he was interested in that shit, and so he was just dying and hallucinating.

the entire film was him dying (maybe not from the very start, can't remember exactly), his actual experience of dying. So the void he was entering was death not life. From a buddhist perspective they may not be that different or whatever though, obviously there's the rebirth angle via the Tibetan Book of the Dead. But that might have all been in his head as well, because he was interested in that shit, and so he was just dying and hallucinating.

I know each interpretation is valid but Gaspar Noe refuted (is that the right word?) the reincarnation theory. The character has a dream about reincarnation before dying but it's not related to the ending.

He says the main character's interest in Buddhism and reincarnation was just thrown in there but he doesn't believe in that stuff. And the ending could either be a memory of his birth or a hint to his sister giving birth to confuse the viewer so it's up to interpretation I guess.

He talks about that in this interview. It's in Spanish but I'm gonna link it anyway.

Edited by Kidrodi

I know each interpretation is valid but Gaspar Noe refuted (is that the right word?) the reincarnation theory. The character has a dream about reincarnation before dying but it's not related to the ending.

He says the main character's interest in Buddhism and reincarnation was just thrown in there but he doesn't believe in that stuff. And the ending could either be a memory of his birth or a hint to his sister giving birth to confuse the viewer so it's up to interpretation I guess.

He talks about that in this interview. It's in Spanish but I'm gonna link it anyway.

I also think that the scenes after his death are an out-of-body experience. I'm not sure about that reincarnation thing though. It might also be about the incestuous tendencies with his sister that he now can experience through alex' (his friend that has sex with his sister at the end) body that his spirit slips in. The birth scene that you can see at the ending might be his own birth, not rebirth, that would fit the non-chronoligical time leaps and memories that now become clear to him. But I have no clue.

To me the meaning of the film was to show mind-bending captivating incredible mindfuck LSD-like visuals and atmospheres :)

I watched it through my laptop but I think it's more than worthwhile to see on a huge screen

That's what I meant by my final sentence, the whole thing is a hallucination while he dies, with the DMT still in his system. He's been reading up on buddhism and was talking about it with another character at the start, so all that stuff is in his head when he dies, so that's where his hallucination goes, it's all just happening in his head, fantasies, memories, random shit.

That's what I meant by my final sentence, the whole thing is a hallucination while he dies, with the DMT still in his system. He's been reading up on buddhism and was talking about it with another character at the start, so all that stuff is in his head when he dies, so that's where his hallucination goes, it's all just happening in his head, fantasies, memories, random shit.

Oh that's right sorry. So you think everything in the film after he dies is a hallucination? that would make a lot of sense actually, hence the heavy drug theme. It would also make sense with what darreichungsform said about sexual fantasies with his sister and her appearing naked and having sex so many times, especially at the love hotel scene right before the end where it would be literally himself having sex with her.  Good one btw, I didn't think of that.

Arrival was not good. I think the bar has been lowered so much that a mediocre sf movie is a "hit" because it isnt a franchise. It was interminably boring, cheesy, forced emotion shoe horned into a pretty uninteresting series of visuals. Had me thinking the ted chiang story might not be as good as i remember. Also villeneuve is such a morose fucking director. He has the same issues as nolan, very literal genre elements and no sense of the surreal, no sense of fun or wonder. No idea how he made enemy, which is legitimately great.

3Iz4ukE.jpg

wow, this was terrible. it's also edited really badly so things seem to jump around. 

some kids grandfather dies by having the makeup department putting some black contacts in his eyes- but before he dies he tells his grandson to go to wales. before going to grandson remembers that his grandfather told him about this awesome kindergarten type place where he lived. so he tells his parents that he's depressed and asks his psychiatrist whether he should go to wales. mom can't go because she has a life but the dad is useless so he goes.

in wales he finds the derelict nursery, then he travels back in time and ends up in 1940(?) and hangs out at the nursery. yup- that's the film.

negative five out of ten

equity - econo-thriller with a poignant feminist bent, much closer margin call than the shitty big short if you'd like some sort of a scale to use. the direction is kinda bland, but the acting is good and the script is tight. lots of morally-in-the-grey characters that make it interesting. pretty neat.

home sapiens - i have no patience for this anymore, it's basically an hour and a half slideshow of short scenes of places with traces of human abandonment. a lot of japan post fukushima, post soviet shit and so on, with no people in the scenes (but the film is called homo sapiens, real clever, right?). it's all beautifully composed and shot with a still camera and i guess it's supposed to provoke you to form some sort of narrative about human impact on environment in your head or whatever and engage in some deep philosophical discussion, but i just can't be arsed, lately i just want the films to suck my dick while i stuff my face with chips.

magnificent seven - look, i'll just watch pretty much anything as long as it's in HD and with Dolby Surround sound.

Coincidentally watched 2 Daniel Radcliffe films the last 2 days

Siwss Army Man - the corpse of harry potter learns how to masturbate whilst farting. 7/10

Imperium - the alternate reality nazi version of harry potter yells nigger at white people. 6/10 not as impressive

home sapiens - i have no patience for this anymore, it's basically an hour and a half slideshow of short scenes of places with traces of human abandonment. a lot of japan post fukushima, post soviet shit and so on, with no people in the scenes (but the film is called homo sapiens, real clever, right?). it's all beautifully composed and shot with a still camera and i guess it's supposed to provoke you to form some sort of narrative about human impact on environment in your head or whatever and engage in some deep philosophical discussion, but i just can't be arsed, lately i just want the films to suck my dick while i stuff my face with chips.

sounds like my kinda deal.

Krampus - Starts off well and it's kinda fun but feels like a wasted opportunity too eg krampus does not use his chain and hook to rip off someone's head. Instead you have little gingerbread men running about a lot.