IGNORED

Untilted

Redruth

For me Untilted is the best Ae album. The first part is brilliant, especially Ipacial Section, then it's pure win after Iera and ends in the Sublimit which I think pretty much epitomizes Autechre.

Q: How much techre would Autechre techre if Autechre could techre Autechre?

A: Sublimit.

^gold

Came here to point out this weirdness: Amazon's listing for Untilted shows the cover in weird colors, almost negative. Not sure how this would even accidentally happen.

https://www.amazon.com/Untilted-Autechre/dp/B001RJQR0A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Once you click that link you should definitely look through the reviews and find some good ones to post here because for some reason this thread is only 10 pages long? Oversteps megathread was like 200+ pages? But this is 10? wtf

crazy negative colors

my personal fav is pro radii, but i melt with the second half of Augmatic Disport.

I like how all Untilted tracks are very much like 'narratives' - they normally start very percussive, get more melodic and glitchy, and finally have long fadeouts or 'epilogues' (of percussion in augmatic and ipacial; synth/noise on pro radii and the trees for example; or utter silence in LCC)

Edited by amad

Someone a long time ago, I believe it was Baph, noted that the MO appeared to be the opposite of Draft's tracks. Where Draft's tracks started fairly regular and then became more fragmented and abstract, Untilted tracks tend to do the reverse.

Love this fucking album. I have it on vinyl but I play it a lot (shock horror!!). I'm pretty sure some record collectors would faint at how I just slide this out and wack it on the deck on regular occasions. I don't use the cover as a beer mat though (unlike cd cases hah)

Edited by beerwolf

I don't think I've taken the CD out of my car in years. I listen to it pretty regularly, sorta switch between it and Draft as my 'i dunno what to listen to but i want grooves' go-to. 

I would absolutely love to hear what else they were doing around this time period. Untilted+ reissue with outtakes pls :)

I don't think I've taken the CD out of my car in years. I listen to it pretty regularly, sorta switch between it and Draft as my 'i dunno what to listen to but i want grooves' go-to.

I would absolutely love to hear what else they were doing around this time period. Untilted+ reissue with outtakes pls :)

my fav too. of course it’s the only album without any eps

Probably because sweepstakes goes at anyone who says its better than quaristice with vengeance.

lol. Come on now, it was really just that one time with auxien, something about which one was "more detailed ".

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

^lol forgot about that. I don't even remember what albums we were comparing now...I'm sure I was 100% right, of course ;) I remember it came down to like, what kind of 'detail' or something. IDC not trying to dredge up any silliness just half remembering out loud.

Untilted tried to become "until Ted" in my phone which is a very different way of thinking about the album...

I feel like Quaristice was obv more varied, and also had better bass than until Ted, but Untilted had that kind of micro level rhythmic detail that had a lasting effect on me. (Ipacial, Iera, augmatic disport, Fermium). Spiral rightly calls this album punk, but I'm still hearing residue from Draft here, just in a different configuration. Love it. Like Stick, this album was the new drop for me a few years after getting into them via Draft.

I feel like Quaristice [...] had better bass than until Ted [...]

Yeah.

Ted is absolutely awe-inspiring in terms of percussion sequencing and composition, no doubt, probably even their opus magnum in that regard.

But i just can't get over the puny sound and buried pads. I really don't quite get how and why they mixed it so thin. It's obviosuly not the Elektrons, even the Glasgow / Hemsby bootlegs sound jucier / more lively to me.

Don't get me wrong. It's still 100% post human excellence. Still it's the only ae release ever that sounds actually better reminiscing in my head than when i put it on.

I kinda like how dry it is, it's almost like their ...And Justice For All, even down to the more proggy structures lol

I feel another autallica photoshop coming on

I kinda like how dry it is, it's almost like their ...And Justice For All, even down to the more proggy structures lol

Yeah, the dryness/cleanliness is part of the allure

lol!

yeah, it's deffo their proggiest, with quaristice being the punkish answer to it.

Agreed on the dryness and the Q being punkish follow up after, Confield feels a little more 'prog' than Ted imo tho, both are definitely playing in those same spaces.

Confield and Draft felt much more wet and bassy, I think maybe Untilted was a drift back away from that. Like Stickfigger said, it's almost skeletal, it's stripping back the presentation (usually). Ted is more nude.

my fav too. of course it’s the only album without any eps

Seriously! What a sham! Fuckin' ripoff!!  :catrage:

[...] Confield feels a little more 'prog' than Ted imo tho, both are definitely playing in those same spaces. [...]

The key features that qualify Ted for most proggy are scope and multitude of shifts within tracks, quite narrative in that regard. Confield might be able to keep up in general complexity, but tracks are more monolithic.

imo.

I love the digital dryness. Makes it sound very clean, punchy and detailed.

Like i said the respective live sets are similarly percussive but sound alot better to me.

Whatevs. Glad ppl can dig it.

[...] the digital dryness [...] Makes it sound very clean, punchy and detailed.

Can agree on clean and detailed. Punchy not so much.

Being percussive as it is imagine if it was any more bassy and wet how fatiguing it’d be.

Would love to hear Iera (my fav+ off Ted) with the fat-assnes of, say, spTh. Quite confident i could take it. :3

I remember an interview of that time, 2005 where SB was asked about favorite stuff of the moment and his answer was smth like "meh i don't dig this modern stuff much but mr. oizo moustache is awesome". And Untilted actually feels like that, some kind of reinterpretation in 'chre style.

I remember an interview of that time, 2005 where SB was asked about favorite stuff of the moment and his answer was smth like "meh i don't dig this modern stuff much but mr. oizo moustache is awesome". And Untilted actually feels like that, some kind of reinterpretation in 'chre style.

I think he also said around that time that he was obsessed by J Dilla's Donuts.